U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 AM

206 posts, read 565,908 times

Advertisements

I think brooklyn is the real NY...it's certainly the most popular borough....outside of nyc people hardly know of manhattan...I for one didn't know the name manhattan before moving the area 2years ago....I certainly knew the names....Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx....oh and forget about Staten Island....even after moving here...I always forget that it even exist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
Believe me, people absolutely DO know about Manhattan. In fact they hardly recognize that there are OTHER parts of NYC. Leave the US, even, and when people talk about NYC, they're talking about Manhattan.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-20-2008 at 05:44 AM..

Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,128,643 times
Yea, people don't know Manhattan by name.. they think NYC is Manhattan. Brooklyn is certainly very popular though.. go around, and you'll see people wearing Brooklyn hoodies all around. The Bronx is well known for it's notoriety, which isn't exactly as bad as it used to be, but it's still known for that. I never really met anyone that knew what Queens was though.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 AM

536 posts, read 2,091,490 times
Queens has a bizarre reputation among people from other states. some people assume it's all suburbs and others assume it's all ghetto. I guess depending whether they were watching the King of Queens or a 50 Cent music video when they first heard of the place, haha. I tell people it's a cross between Brooklyn and Long Island.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 25,439 times
I used to think the Manhattan was just another name for New York City. This is a common mistake that I've found people all over the Midwest make.

So Brooklyn, in a lot of non-savvy people's minds, is just a neighborhood of "Manhattan" along with Queens and the Bronx (no one knows Staten Island).

Not until I actually read about New York (and not just watched movies about it) did I realize Manhattan was a very specific part of New York City.

The more you know!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:49 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,492,980 times
The city can be strange at times. Friend of mine, a lawyer who lives in Forest Hills Gardens in a beautiful detached single family home, was once sleighted ot an office party, over cocktails, by the building porter, who was having a final drink before heading home to the Lower East Side.

"You live in Queens!", he exclaimed in an incredulous tone. "Why don't you move out of the boonies to Manhattan?" My lawyer friend brushed those comments aside, nice fella that he is, and offered the porter a ride home.

He even waited in his car outside the building on the L.E.S. and made sure that his passenger made it up all five flights of stairs before heading in his BMW to the 59 Street bridge for his journey to the boonies.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Well, Manhattan IS New York County. But when you say "the real New York," I have to object (as a native-born Brooklynite). The real New York consists of five boroughs. No single one ought to have any special preference.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,170,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Queens has a bizarre reputation among people from other states. some people assume it's all suburbs and others assume it's all ghetto. I guess depending whether they were watching the King of Queens or a 50 Cent music video when they first heard of the place, haha. I tell people it's a cross between Brooklyn and Long Island.
\
The area around jamaica look like the bronx. Which isnt surprising since its only ten minutes from the bronx. But as soon as u cross the whitestone, u notice the diversity right away

Old 07-20-2008, 05:21 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,170,950 times
Also the whole manhattan thing comes from outta towners. Among new yorkers its not actually that cool to be from manhattan. Its a central hub, but the real spirit and culture of the "true" new york resides in the outer boroughs. Thats why i think brooklyn is so popular

Old 07-20-2008, 05:23 PM

854 posts, read 2,481,517 times
I know lots of people from Germany. If somebody is let's say from "Saarbruecken" or "Osnabrueck" they sometimes refer to it as "Saarbroklyn" or "Osnabrooklyn" just for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or