U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 AM

46 posts, read 159,750 times

Advertisements

I started a thread about moving to NY recently, and, with the kind encouragement of everyone, I've decided to make the leap. But I just want to say that other people who want to move seem to have the same waffling aspect I have.

On the one hand, they really want to go, and, on the other, they don't want to lose what they have. They also think of jumping back and forth, just as I do - though I don't think that's a good idea in the long run, in the short one, it can help me with my cash problems.

Others also have to go to New York once in awhile just to get a taste of where they would like to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,496,017 times
Default Even people who've lived in NYC for decades....

sometimes second-guess living here.

Like everywhere else in the good old beautiful USA, there are pluses and minuses. NYC has so many fantastic opportunities - job, educational, cultural - and amenities that it is sometimes mind boggling.

But there are a ton of negatives also. And different hats fit different people. And one can find that the hat that fit so comfortably years ago is now over or under-sized. Or one can wish to wear two hats instead of one.

Going back and forth, if one can afford the financial and logistical implications, isn't a bad idea. After all, you're still remaining in the USA when you go back and forth, you aren't foregoing all the opportunities that come by being an American, and the changes of environment ever so often may actually be beneficial to some.

For all it's worth, I am in the process of trading Manhattan for Queens and Florida where I plan to enjoy the best of both NYC and Florida.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM

10,613 posts, read 20,750,046 times
I waffled for several years in the late '90s. In spring 2000 I came for one full month to get a better sense of things. I committed to a 6-month share starting on Sept 1, 2001 (while still keeping my apt. in another state). A few things happened to slow me down, so on 9/11 2001, I was still packing up my belongings in the other state. 9-11 slowed me down a bit more and made for a difficult decision about whether to continue.

I continued anyway and a week after 9/11 moved to NY. Stayed my 6 months, went back to home state to work a few more months at my job and the following September moved to NYC for good. In 7 years I have lived in 3 boroughs, finally settling in Queens for its affordability.

No regrets. It's not always easy but it can be done.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:59 AM

10,755 posts, read 25,542,103 times
It is only natural to have ambivalent feelings about relocating to a new city, and New York is a big step for so many people who are not used to such dense urban environments, and who have existing familial and economic ties to another area. The city has a reputation that precedes it in many other places, and not all of that is flattering, since it's more sensationalistic to have "survived" an encounter with the city, although now this is changing to people who have "enjoyed" their encounter with the city. Still, much of the negativity regarding the stereotypes of rude people, crime, and decay persist, and combined with seemingly higher costs compared that with which people are most familiar, that tends to make it easy for a rational person to second guess the intention to make the move. It's a normal part of the process, and it's good to utilize forums such as this for advice from people who have made the same move, or who have lived in the city their entire lives, since it does help to frame a picture of the real New York.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM

46 posts, read 159,750 times
I was in New York during the Christmas/New Year week, to see if I really wanted to be there, and I felt that I would like to restart my life in the Big Apple. I was there again a few months later, and, while it was no longer sensational, I still liked it.

As for my current place, I have always loved it, and I still do, but I've become restless, and I feel the urge to move. The only thing stopping me was the cash burn, and the cost of starting all over again.

I'm going back in a couple of weeks, and I'll see if my perspective has changed. I presume not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or