Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM

13 posts, read 41,621 times

Advertisements

i got a job offering,and i can either go to cape coral or nyc.??what one??
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
You're asking people who live in NYC? Isn't that requesting a biased opinion?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM

190 posts, read 814,240 times
What will you be doing? How old are you? What's your personality like?
Cape Coral is near Ft. Myers on the west coast of Florida. I personally know nothing about it. I'm a native New Yorker who now lives in Miami. I'm young and like to have fun but I hate Florida with a passion. Despite the beaches and beautiful people, everything is in NY. The only plus for Florida is no state tax. Living in NYC you practically give away half of your salary to the fed, state, and city. Just my .02

Old 07-17-2008, 12:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Viralmd is right; why would you even ask? That's a decision you have to make for yourself, mostly because you're the one who has to live with it.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 7,909 times
Wow OK, I hope im not too late. I lived in Cape Coral for two years. Unless you enjoy having NOTHING around you, poor economy, only chain restaurants, horrible traffic during "season", fudged numbers when it comes to crime, illegal immigration issues (I am not racist, however, most crime in SW FL is committed by illegal immigrants there, especially in the cape).

Tumbling home prices. Horrible education. Frankly, the people are not friendly either!

Beach? Yea, good luck. To get to Fort Myers beach, you have to pass over a 1 lane bridge (sometimes 2 hours just to cross over it, and no, I am NOT exaggerating) and the beach is not very nice.

Humidity. When I packed to move BACK to NY, it was 106 degrees and 90% humidity. I thought I was going to die.

The ONLY Pros to living there is cheap rent/house prices, but, honestly, cape coral is now a ghost town, overrun with break-ins due to all the homes are vacant. Drugs are a big issue in cape coral too.

And don't think for one minute its a lush vegetation area, there are no trees (I have pictures from my house to prove it)

But hey, if you want a house, let me know, mine has been up on the market for over a year, at 50,000 less than I paid, and not ONE, ONE person has been interested in even LOOKING at it.

Trust me when I say this, steer clear of that area.

Oh, and now on to NY. No, its not cake. Its expensive to live here. House prices are crazy. Rent is high. But I learned the hard way you get what you pay for. If you can afford to live in NY, I would suggest it.

Cape Coral was an area that was GOING to be nice, but was destroyed by the housing market crash. It will be 10 years (Or NEVER) before it recovers.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,517 times
Go to NYC! I've been over there on the west coast a couple times. If you're young, believe me, you don't wanna live there. They don't call it "Cape Coma" for no reason.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Go to NYC! I've been over there on the west coast a couple times. If you're young, believe me, you don't wanna live there. They don't call it "Cape Coma" for no reason.
What he said, x2

Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM

101 posts, read 300,780 times
Yeah, I've seen Cape Coral. Worked in Ft. Myers and a friend lived there. Go to New York. Narry a shade tree to park under. concrete block houses all look the same. ick

Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 15,945 times
Default Nyc

I would go with NYC all the way!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:40 PM

257 posts, read 824,376 times
I don't know jack about cape coral, but if you make the same regardless of where you live keep in mind it costs WAAAAAAAAAY more than Florida...except maybe not way more than Miami. I'm from Florida and personnally prefer it. to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City