U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 06:29 AM

14 posts, read 47,790 times

Advertisements

Need help, I found an apt. in South Riverdale (2530 Independence Ave and Kappock St. area), is this a nice place to live and commute to mid Manhattan? Which subway do I take? thanks

Last edited by noelcdl59; 07-21-2008 at 07:12 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 52,810 times
Hi there!

South Riverdale is a very nice part of Riverdale - you're close to the water which is lovely. There are also a ton of really nice parks over there - and decent shopping in Knoll's crescent which you could probably walk to. To get into manhattan, I would think your best bet would be to take Metro North - the Spuyten Dyvil stop - you're practically there...I bet you could walk on a nice day. But, there's also a rail link that will take you there. Alternatively, the local buses there (e.g. Bx7) should take you to the subway where you can take the 1 train into manhattan. I really depends on where in manhattan you want to go. If you want westside, take the subway (plus, it'll be cheaper) - east side, take metro north. Regardless, the quality of life in Riverdale is very nice - it's a real neighborhood. We just love it there.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions

Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 AM

Thank you so much for the info.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 AM

Thank you so much for the info.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
I agree that you have made a great choice in an area, and being close to the neighborhood parks, especially with such gorgeous views of the river, the bridge, and the Palisades. Riverdale is unique in the city in that it is very quiet at night, and offers a great neighborhood feel, yet is not far from any conveience. Another option for getting into Manhattan, other than the bus to the subway or MetroNorth to GCT, is the express bus to Manhattan. There is a BxM1 and BxM2 for the eastside or westside of Manhattan, and then there's a Wall Street express that runs during rush hours.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Thank you. Is it a safe commute to come from the city to Riverdale and vis versa at night? Would I take the #1 subway? Also, would it be safe for high schooler (9th) to travel from Riverdale to 66th and Broadway for school each day or is the bus better? Do you know the area around Riverdale near intersection of Independence and Kappock? Is it reasonable to keep a car when you live in Riverdale?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Riverdale vs Forest Hills

Can anyone tell me if South Riverdale is a better choice of area to live than Forest Hills?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 PM

I would say that the bus does have an advantage in terms of safety, since it only makes a couple of stops before going express to Manhattan. The subway is a little bit of a hike, and would require a city bus to get to it, which is fine, but I don't know that I'd send a 9th grader on this route alone. Yes, that would be the number 1 train on Broadway, insofar as the subway is concerned, and people have not reported any issues on it that I know of, but you do have to take the bus back up the hill, whereas the express buses automatically go up the hill.

It is relatively easy to have a car in Riverdale, and I have never had too many issues finding parking on Independence, or Palisade. If it is an issue, however, you can always park on Johnson, right below Kappock (near the Winston Churchill and behind River Point Tower) as there is always parking there. It might mean a few blocks of a walk back, but there are spaces available for certain. If you prefer to garage the car, there are garages where you can get a monthly rate in the area, the Century has daily, and I believe monthly, parking and it's on the other side of the parkway at Kappock & Netherland. With street parking, as long as you can move the car for the street cleaning (Mon-Thurs, or Tue-Fri), you're fine, or move it in the evening before the cleaning to avoid having to do so in the morning. Overall, it's perfectly reasonable to have a car in this area.

There are some very nice buildings at that intersection, many of which are cooperatives, some older, some newer, but all are very quiet and the neighbors are friendly. The vistas from the park on Palisade of the bridge are spectacular, since it comes into view as you descend the stairs out of the trees. The main shopping area would be on Johnson, with restaurants, grocery stores, etc. or on Riverdale Ave., but in the neighborhood there are conveniences on Knolls Crescent with drug store, market, cleaners, etc. I think you will really like the area.

MetroNorth is the fastest to GCT, but if you want Broadway & 66th, the express bus is easier, but it's also $5 each way. With the bus to the subway, you can use the unlimited montly card, not sure about the express bus difference since I don't use transit enough to use the unlimited card. I tend to use the MetroNorth or express bus, myself, in that area, when not going by car. And, it's not long to get to the subway on Broadway at all by bus, a few minutes at most.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM

11 posts, read 52,810 times
I can't really compare South Riverdale to Forest Hills directly- as far as I know, they are both nice communities.

But, commuting would be safe - I think a high school student would probably be safer taking the express bus at night though - it really depends on how late they plan on getting into the area and how street smart he/she is. But, if you're comparing bus vs. subway, the express buses are extremely safe. I think you wouldn't have any problem taking the subway in the morning - but I might be a little more uneasy if I were taking the subway very very late at night.

Parking in south riverdale esp. that area can be a bit of a challenge. You may want to look into a garage - it's doable to park on the street but it's more tricky than other parts of riverdale. Lots of people keep cars in Riverdale - I think you really need one if you want to get around - it's just that some areas are tight when it comes to parking on the street.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:50 PM

Compared to Forest Hills, I think it's easier to own a car in Riverdale. And, I think Forest Hills, especially the Gardens, is on par with Riverdale in terms of safety and amenities, but the physical geography of Riverdale provides some intangibles, and it has a less congested feel than other neighborhoods.

And, parking right outside the door can be a challenge at times, especially near Kappock & Independence, but on Johnson, there's never an issue as there are no buildings on this stretch until Johnson curves and Irwin descends to 230th.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-21-2008 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Added comment on parking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City