U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 AM
 
58 posts, read 309,299 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
so what makes brooklyn so great

if it is not going to get pizza, sitting at home, what does brooklyn do

And you guys do not even have a mall

Jersey kids can play every sport there is, unlike brooklyn because you have no space

and we can get out to the shore, or the mountains, or the forests much easier than Brooklyn can

And we can go to Manhattan too to go barhopping, clubbing, catch a theater, or just mope around

Let me guess fred you live in williamsburg, wear fedora hats and tight jeans, and grow a beard, and like to drink coffee LOLZ just joking

The truth is NNJ landscape is quite similar to outer boros

We have wall to wall people just like you do

We have orthodox jews just like bk, we have italian nabes like bk, we even have polish nabes like bk

We use the car more, but as if BK does not have cars

I see. So NJ is good because there are malls, not artsy-fartsy types and there is space for kids to play sport (but you need to drive kids everywhere).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 AM
 
58 posts, read 309,299 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
People want a bigger house for the same amount of money, that's probably the most unbiased answer out there.
does it factor in the property taxes, commute time and money required to drive everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,734,107 times
Reputation: 10455
See? It's just like I said; you can't actually compare Brooklyn and New Jersey. You might as well "compare" Alaska and Hawaii!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 10,195,246 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohn View Post
I see. So NJ is good because there are malls, not artsy-fartsy types and there is space for kids to play sport (but you need to drive kids everywhere).
What does brooklyn have for kids at all if any

Most jersey kids just hang outside on the streets

All jersey towns have a central downtown area w/businesses, so lots of kids get on their bikes, rollerblades and stroll on down

Plus we have fields to play in, lots of them in fact, because every single school has one, and they are close by, we also play roller hockey, and soccer on the streets because everyone has a drive way so their is more empty streets

Having been a kid in Jerz is great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,217 posts, read 32,730,162 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
Atlantic Center?
before atlantic center, kings plaza!
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,217 posts, read 32,730,162 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
What does brooklyn have for kids at all if any

Most jersey kids just hang outside on the streets

All jersey towns have a central downtown area w/businesses, so lots of kids get on their bikes, rollerblades and stroll on down

Plus we have fields to play in, lots of them in fact, because every single school has one, and they are close by, we also play roller hockey, and soccer on the streets because everyone has a drive way so their is more empty streets

Having been a kid in Jerz is great

yeah but i think it doesnt serve purpose to compare brooklyn, which is way more built up and urban, to jersey, which is like a suburban atmosphere form the way you described it. and even so, there are areas of brooklyn that resemble what you're describing.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,734,107 times
Reputation: 10455
What SeventhFloor says is true. I live in Midwood, which has the feel of a suburban community. OK, the housing density is greater. But when you say the word "Brooklyn," my neighborhood isn't what comes to mind first. And, of course, there's New Jersey and there's New Jersey; Princeton and Newark are geographically located in the same state, but that's where the similarities end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 PM
 
58 posts, read 309,299 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
What does brooklyn have for kids at all if any

Most jersey kids just hang outside on the streets

All jersey towns have a central downtown area w/businesses, so lots of kids get on their bikes, rollerblades and stroll on down

Plus we have fields to play in, lots of them in fact, because every single school has one, and they are close by, we also play roller hockey, and soccer on the streets because everyone has a drive way so their is more empty streets

Having been a kid in Jerz is great
I stayed in Bay Ridge, Dyker Hights and Bensonhurst. All of them have parks. My kid could play socker whenever he wants. He also can take his bike out.
On the other side I did not see many kids "on bikes" in Jersey town. More like socer moms ferrying their kids from place to place on SUV. Not sure, that my wife want to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 10,195,246 times
Reputation: 946
I have been to brooklyn many times, and work in real estate

I have been around lots of the residential areas, and see mostly kids hanging around the sidewalk just jerking off, nothing to really do

NYC has a couple of big parks, but none are really a local park, and the few park that are considered local are very small not even worth playing in

In NJ we have elementary schools scattered about each with a big tract of grass to play soccer or football with a baseball diamond, and then their is usually a basketball court too

Almost every town has a recreational department with tennis courts, and many towns have a swim club, and some towns if lucky will even have a youth center

Our streets will not have as many cars parked on it so we can play street hockey, or catch

On top of that every house has a backyard to mess around in

Then each town will most likely have a middle school, and high school each with its own facilities like track/football/soccer field, tennis court, baseball diamond, basketball courts like Fort Lee for example which is not even a high-end town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 AM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,174,459 times
Reputation: 1143
ya but at the same time there are many new yorkers that do live around a park or within a couple blocks of one. I have a massive park right across the street. Things gotta freakin soccer field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top