U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,097,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfabian View Post
Interesting responses but the bottom line is you have to live somewhere so what really motivates one to choose a location? From my life experience and I was born in NJ and lived around most of that small state, overall its a drag. Even the exclusive communities like Summit etc. are just dull normal as far as life style goes. There are plenty of high level areas in Brooklyn. All I know is that when I cross over the V I feel like I'm back in civilization (no offense to SI). I don't miss NJ transit. It sucks commuting by BUS from places like Toms River to NYC and for what-- a bed. All that way just to have a bed. And the line's around the block at 0530am. You have no time or energy left as all of it is used fighting with the other mindless sloths for such nonsense as an aisle seat on the bus etc. I've seen it and it's the epitome of mindlessness It's truly a jerkwater way to exist. The house may shine but its just a white elephant. Half the population of NJ lives south of the Driscall bridge (GSP 123) and alot of them still commute back up to the city either by bus or by the slow boat to china NJT trains. Live where you work and if you cannot work where you live then move. Why do so many live in the south of NJ now. Because of the romantic exagerated dream of the "shore". It's pathetic that NJ has Bruce Springsteen's junk as its state song. He doesn't qualify as a guitar player. Real players just laugh at his mickey mouse stuff.
Well, it comes down to suburban (NJ) versus urban (Brooklyn). YOU prefer urban, hence you choose Brooklyn. Plenty of people prefer suburban. To them, they feel like they are "coming back to civilization" when they EXIT NYC. These types of people think NYC is filthy, overcrowded, and noisy. These are the types of people that largely live in NJ and Long Island.

People have preferences. Some people prefer more space, more peace and quiet, and better school systems ... they sacrifice with a longer commute in order to obtain these things, which NYC (or any large city) cannot offer.

FYI, NJ's population is about 8.5 Million ... pretty much exactly the same as NYC's population. So, there are just as many people who prefer a suburban NJ lifestyle as there are who prefer a NYC urban lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,006,838 times
Pluses for Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, it's a safe walkable area. No need to drive to the store. Taxes are much lower than Central NJ.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
FYI, NJ's population is about 8.5 Million ... pretty much exactly the same as NYC's population. So, there are just as many people who prefer a suburban NJ lifestyle as there are who prefer a NYC urban lifestyle.
...Which sums everything up so that maybe this thread will be allowed to fade quietly away (we should all be so fortunate!)

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
I live in Kew Gardens- Queens County.

I'm an extremely short bike ride away from Forest Park. Wonderful, family neighborhood with horse riding, hiking trails, plenty of courts, picnic areas and a 9 hole golf course! LOW CRIME RATE!

That's pretty hard to beat!
Also a short bike ride away from Jamaica...

Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Say no to New Jerseyian suburbia.

I'd go with Brooklyn because it's dense and probably has easier access to Manhattan
Ehhh that depends where you go. Hoboken for example, is 15 mins into the city and the PATH runs more frequently than the subways. There are parts of BK that can take up to 45 mins to get into Manhattan. It depends where in BK and where in NJ you are looking at.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 AM

48 posts, read 116,691 times
True, city life is unique and its kind of like comparing apples and oranges but people choose to live somewhere and they do go through comparing suburban sprawl with urban life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i wouldnt even waste my time.

People need to stop comparing new york to anywhere else. New york is a completely different experience from any other city or state in the united states let alone new jersey.

If u want new york than move to new york. Its as simple as that

And its funny when jersians bring up brownsville, south bronx.....etc. None are comparable to newark, camden trenton.......etc lmao

Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,450,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg8181 View Post
also a short bike ride away from jamaica...
...and?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 AM

In the end when you live in NJ or LI you sort of develope the personality of a wet rag. I can spot a day-tripper a mile away. The most depressing feeling is waiting for a bus or getting off a bus at Port Authority. It's like the play Ragtime when an immigrant couldn't understand why a ship was sailing "away" from the USA.

Furthermore, those that choose eastern LI and south jersey are really just living their life on the LIE and GSP. It's a bullsh-t kind of existence all based on some perceived image that someone is gauking at their house. I lived on LI for a long time and it too is like NJ in that their is an overly dependency on the metal box for everything. I tend to see the average LIslander and Jerseyan as heavier on the average than the urban individual (there are exceptions) and I would attribute it to the utter dependency on that metal box, which makes all those middle east terrorist puppet states very happy. Suburban sprawl is keeping those jerkwater places wealthy. What will LIsanders and Jerseyans do if gas prices double? They will "try" to sell their house and move to the city. So there you have it. It's an obvious game of dominos and the biggest domino is gas prices. I'll just get on the subway and laugh at the lack of forsight. Most don't realize that builders care only about is selling the house. They will build a house anywhere. North Jersey is a real joke with people living in little sh-t boxes and paying $7k to $10k in real estate taxes.

Places like Fairlawn etc. are just zeros as far as a place to be. On Sunday Bergen County forces the malls and non-food stores to close. Must be related to some gentile religious bs. So what do the wet-rag personalities do on Sunday--they crowd together like predictable sheep at Whole Foods aimlessly sitting around.-- It's their "big event".

Take Lakewood for example, if that isn't an example of Mod cut: language. Nothing aesthetic about that town at all and yet hords of so called "observant" beings gravitated there. Are they blind? Can they think that walking on Rte. 9 to shul on shabbos is a great experience. It's the stupidist looking thing to see. If your that observant then stay in the city where you can have a quality shabbos in a place that has all the amenities like a nice walkway on Ocean parkway with so many shuls to choose from.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-23-2009 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Life in the city is more natural for civilization and mental stimulation. The suburb life style is limited mostly to one's house. I can take a walk around the block in the city and have enough stimulus to feel like I did something without even spending a penny. I don't have to drive to and crawl around a Walmart for action like so many suburbanites do. Rural is a good life style if your self sufficient (farming etc.) but suburbia is the worst of everything and responsible for wasteful polution via such a dependency on that bloodless piece of petro burning machinery.

Everything depends on that box, without it how can suburbia function. For about $80/month I can basically go most everywhere via the subway (including the airport). I'll grant hudson county credit because of the Path but that's it as far as infrastructure in NJ. I personally think that from a global warming point of view, its extremely selfish to live in the suburbs.

In the suburbs one has to find something to do (not much stimulus). In the city one can just 'live' without a pressing need for this Walmart artificial entertainment mentality.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 AM

5,327 posts, read 12,335,901 times
It's just that everybody lives in and is from New Jersey. That's all.
Plus you can't stay on an island forever, or long for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or