U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 PM
 
9,997 posts, read 7,731,103 times
Reputation: 4709

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You only mentioned your "friends" who had homes in the Gardens area. It was unclear whether your friends were Jewish.

And to G-Dale: In my book about the history of Jackson Heights, there's a paragraph about the 1920's (not the '50s) that states: "Restrictive policies were common in middle-class suburban developments such as Jackson Heights. Whether or not it was explicitly stated in promotional material, it was widely known at the time that only white Anglo-Saxon Protestants were welcome in Jackson Heights, Forest Hills Gardens, or Garden City."

I'm not really sure when the restrictive policies were lifted, maybe during the post-WWII building boom?

Edit: Citation is from "Jackson Heights, A Garden in the City: The History of America's First Garden and Cooperative Apartment Community" by Daniel Karatzas
Thanks. Was only interested in the truth, not the discriminitory practices. Perhaps the soon after depression forced them to lift the policy as it was no longer economically feasible to discriminate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM
 
9,997 posts, read 7,731,103 times
Reputation: 4709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You can't even read for even 2 seconds? It sounds like the circus is the place you should rather be.
When you talk about all this change due to new ethnicities, I tend to stop listening. You didn't make it out as if this change you speak of as being positive.

Then when you said that "I sometimes think it's cheaper to live on the Upper East Side than FH," I completely stopped reading, but fortunately you had nothing else to write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,062 posts, read 2,940,734 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Then when you said that "I sometimes think it's cheaper to live on the Upper East Side than FH," I completely stopped reading, but fortunately you had nothing else to write.
Since I am a long-time resident of UES, and previous resident of FH, with still many ties to it -- maybe you should listen, so you can actually learn something? Or would you rather prefer to stay within your little illusory bubble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM
 
10,642 posts, read 20,785,867 times
Reputation: 8181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Whether my friends were Jewish or not (some were indeed) -- it is irrelevant to my story. My single paragraph, 3 sentence story was about how Forest Hills that I know has changed in the last 50 years.

p
I really don't care whether your friends were Jewish or not. The fact is, you were asked a question which you clearly had the knowledge to answer given your ancient history in the Forest Hills area, yet instead of answering the question, you only throw around accusations about people not reading what you had already written.

If you don't want to answer the question, you could have simply NOT REPLIED. Or instead say something like, "I prefer not to answer. I only wish to post about one viewpoint. Please stop asking me questions about anything else."

That would have made more sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,062 posts, read 2,940,734 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I really don't care whether your friends were Jewish or not. The fact is, you were asked a question which you clearly had the knowledge to answer given your ancient history in the Forest Hills area, yet instead of answering the question, you only throw around accusations about people not reading what you had already written.

If you don't want to answer the question, you could have simply NOT REPLIED. Or instead say something like, "I prefer not to answer. I only wish to post about one viewpoint. Please stop asking me questions about anything else."

That would have made more sense.

If I had an opinion or something to say I wouldn't be afraid tell you. I wouldn't bite my tongue, believe me.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s in FH, not during the Great Depression. HTF would I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 PM
 
9,997 posts, read 7,731,103 times
Reputation: 4709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Since I am a long-time resident of UES, and previous resident of FH, with still many ties to it -- maybe you should listen, so you can actually learn something? Or would you rather prefer to stay within your little illusory bubble?
So what exactly was it that you were spreading knowledge about? Was it about how Austin st doesn't have overpriced small boutiques anymore? Because Asians, Russians, Ukrainians, etc... were responsible for this current failure of Austin st? Something about tomatoes? Maybe I just don't get much use out of your postings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,062 posts, read 2,940,734 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So what exactly was it that you were spreading knowledge about? Was it about how Austin st doesn't have overpriced small boutiques anymore? Because Asians, Russians, Ukrainians, etc... were responsible for this current failure of Austin st? Something about tomatoes? Maybe I just don't get much use out of your postings.
You need to lighten up, stop the brow-beating, and understand that many posts are stories. People share their little experiences. It is not against the rules. In fact it is the spirit.

Or you could ignore them if they do not fulfill your intellectual appetite. Am I still failing miserably in getting through to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 PM
 
9,997 posts, read 7,731,103 times
Reputation: 4709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You need to lighten up, stop the brow-beating, and understand that many posts are stories. People share their little experiences. It is not against the rules. In fact it is the spirit.

Or you could ignore them if they do not fulfill your intellectual appetite. Am I still failing miserably in getting through to you?
Yes, you're still failing miserably. When I go conduct the circus I'll reach back to you then for my first act. In that I'm sure you'll succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 PM
 
6,914 posts, read 9,055,009 times
Reputation: 2861
I wouldn't use the term "blacklisted"; maybe "discouraged" is a better way to describe how jewish people were received in Forest Hills Gardens. But like the rest of NYC except for recalcitrant areas like certain co-ops and Breezy Point, racial discrimination all in the past and the Gardens is home to a more diverse set of residents. No use arguing about something that occurred too long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,062 posts, read 2,940,734 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yes, you're still failing miserably. When I go conduct the circus I'll reach back to you then for my first act. In that I'm sure you'll succeed.
That's actually funny. Your attempt at insult is trailing badly your ability to discombobulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top