U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 12,446 times
Default Parts of bed-stuy to avoid?

I'm new to bed-stuy, white female, living around macdonough & tompkins. i've seen so many differing opinions about the place, and so far i've been pretty comfortable. anyone have anything to offer on parts of bed-stuy to absolutely avoid (i.e., routes NOT to take on the walk home) for someone who's new to the area?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 PM

878 posts, read 1,769,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raudrey View Post
I'm new to bed-stuy, white female, living around macdonough & tompkins. i've seen so many differing opinions about the place, and so far i've been pretty comfortable. anyone have anything to offer on parts of bed-stuy to absolutely avoid (i.e., routes NOT to take on the walk home) for someone who's new to the area?
Bed-Stuy is huge and you will definitely know which spots to avoid as you get accustomed to the neighborhood. Personally if you are on MacDonough and Tompkins, you are in a pretty decent area and the places that I would think to stay away from are not in your vicinity nor would they be in your direct transportation route. Just relax and enjoy all the things the neighborhood has to offer.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:05 AM

3 posts, read 25,698 times
Default also new to bedstuy

Hey Raudrey, I am also new to bedstuy. I am a white male, artist, living on Putnam and Marcy. I have not had any trouble, I can tell what streets to stay off of, but I haven't been out at night much, that seems like a bad idea. And I mostly get around on my bike.

I have lived in NY for 7 years and never had any trouble, never mugged or beat up, but this is definitely the roughest area I've lived in so I'm not sure what to expect.

How has it worked out for you?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 15,126 times
Hi,

I just found a place on Jefferson between Tompkins and Throop and was wondering what that part of Bed Stuy is like, especially the subway at night.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:57 AM

9,667 posts, read 16,841,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_dub_526 View Post
Hi,

I just found a place on Jefferson between Tompkins and Throop and was wondering what that part of Bed Stuy is like, especially the subway at night.

Thanks!
that block looks quiet, but once in a while its not....overall its definitely not the worst part of bed-stuy, but just enough to remind you that you're still in the ghetto. the closest train stop to you is kingston-throop on the C train and that train is ghetto late at night, i'm used to it though and i dont think riding the train late at night is a big deal.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 25,698 times
Hey e_dub. I am just around the corner from you and it is a pretty quiet area, but I haven't been here long enough to know about the subway. I take the A train to Nostrand, so far it's ok but I haven't been on it really late yet. This seems like an ok part of the neighborhood, though still sketchy in comparison to other parts of brooklyn, not the worst either though.

Until I get used to the area I find it best not to take the cross streets late at night. It's really just hardworking people trying to make the most of their neighborhood around here, but there are occasional thugs too. Just be smart.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:19 AM

52 posts, read 182,325 times
What about Thompkins at Hancock? How is it there to walk to/from subway station at night?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 AM

1 posts, read 12,084 times
Default Interested

Im intrigued looking at all of these posts, im a white female from the UK and there are a fair amount of murders in London that I hear of when i turn the TV on in the morning but it is nothing compared to what happens in NY.. Im so interested in what happens around areas such as Bed-Stuy, I would love to go there one day and walk the streets, get a feel of it; However im worried i wouldnt quite fit in, im from a comfortable background, white, middle class and not very street wise. I have been to New York but i stayed in the centre (Waldorf Astoria) and didnt make it to Brooklyn. For future reference is it safe to walk around if your not from the area?

Thanks

Old 05-30-2009, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 10,977 times
Hi, I just moved in on the corner of Nostrand and Madison in BedStuy, right in between the A/C Nostrand train and the G train (Bedford). I feel relatively safe walking around during the day, as I see many families, but I also see groups of guys (not sure if they're gangs...don't want to assume, but I have no idea), everyone seems pretty friendly. But is it ok to walk around and take the trains late at night? I know wherever you are in NYC, you've got to keep alert and use common sense - I've never had an issue, but I've only lived in Astoria, Queens before this. I would love any advice from people who are familiar with the area. Thanks!!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 AM

706 posts, read 2,362,696 times
I can't help but wonder WHY people would move to an area then be concerned about their safety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City