U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM

13 posts, read 53,572 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am traveling on a Friday around 6:30 Pm to Stamford, CT. I need to know the best route. I was told to take 78 west to 287 east? I do have a EZ Pass ordered from Avis. But I am confused on how to get there. My sons and I are traveling from Colorado and very unfamiliar with the area.
Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:31 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
The easiest way is for you to get on the NJ Turnpike north to the George Washington Bridge. Cross the bridge into the Bronx and follow the signs on the Cross Bronx Expressway to I-95 (New England Thruway). In rush hour it gets pretty packed. You'll see the Stamford exits from I-95 very clearly in Connecticut.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:50 PM

13 posts, read 53,572 times
Thank You

Old 07-22-2008, 03:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 2,913,653 times
Cross Bronx will be a complete traffic cluster foxtrot. A faster traffic avoidance route would involve taking the NJ turnpike North to the Pallisades Pkwy. Exit the Palisades for the I-287 east/I-87south exit. Take 287 over the Tappan Zee to I-95. You will save time and the toll is less.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM
luv

50 posts, read 114,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The easiest way is for you to get on the NJ Turnpike north to the George Washington Bridge. Cross the bridge into the Bronx and follow the signs on the Cross Bronx Expressway to I-95 (New England Thruway). In rush hour it gets pretty packed. You'll see the Stamford exits from I-95 very clearly in Connecticut.
This is a straight route but you get lots of traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway, which takes you to I95. Another possible route, probably also very traffic ridden, is to take the GW bridge as suggested above, but then exit on the right at the end of the bridge to the Henry Hudson Parkway (rather than going straight and getting on the Cross Bronx), take the NORTH side of the Hudson (you will have a choice on sides as your going down the ramp) and go straight until you hit the Cross County Parkway (I believe its the first EXIT ONLY lane you will see and its right past the sign for the Moshulu Parkway). Take that straight until you see signs for the Hutch/Merrit Parkway (the name changes as you enter Greenwich, CT but its the same highway). Take the Merrit to Stamford and exit.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Cross Bronx will be a complete traffic cluster foxtrot. A faster traffic avoidance route would involve taking the NJ turnpike North to the Pallisades Pkwy. Exit the Palisades for the I-287 east/I-87south exit. Take 287 over the Tappan Zee to I-95. You will save time and the toll is less.
These days that route is AWFUL - there's construction on the Tappan Zee and some days it's almost impassable. A colleague needs to cross it daily and now she says the traffic is so bad she has to work from home a couple of days a week rather than battle the traffic. And 287 across Westchester is no joy, either.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM

9,393 posts, read 15,994,245 times
Yes, the Tappan Zee and Cross Westchester are horrible with the construction right now. I used to use this as an alternate, myself, but it's just not worth the extra distance, since it's not an open road right now. I can see the 78 to 287 in theory, and using the Palisades to Tappan Zee, but it's not going to offer much in the way of time savings. Be prepared for the Cross Bronx and GWB traffic, since it's the most direct route, and alternates do not offer much time savings. I would suggest stopping to have dinner before leaving Newark area, since the traffic situation generally is a bit better a little later in the evening. And, as long as you have the EZ Pass, it is fine to take the GWB, just stay to the left for the exclusive EZ Pass lanes and the dedicated express lanes at the end of the turnpike.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 PM

11,592 posts, read 15,937,908 times
Default The route that luv suggested...

would be the best. you can cross the Hudson first and the H Hudson/Saw Mill/CCP/Hutch route is truck-free so it's pleasant enough. You go through Inwood, Riverdale, and all nice sections of Westchester and the route goes quickly.

Depending on where in Stamford you are going, if you are going near the downtown section near the water(exits 6-9 on I 95) you could cut off the Hutchinson at I 287 east to I 95 and take I 95 north into Stamford

if you are going closer to the suburban area of Stamford, you can stay on the Hutchinson until it turns into the Merritt Pkwy and take the Merritt into Stamford

Old 07-22-2008, 05:57 PM

9,393 posts, read 15,994,245 times
The Hutch is a better route to Connecticut, I agree, but the Cross County Parkway is easily missed by those unfamiliar with the Saw Mill, since it comes up rather quickly. The best thing I would recommend is to go to the right lane after Mosholu Parkway merges, which is the last exit in NYC, and stay in that lane since it will force you onto the Cross County Parkway at exit 4, which is the first northbound exit in Westchester County. The road will go from two lanes to three at the county line and you want to be in the right of three.

One caveat about that stretch of the Saw Mill Parkway and Cross County Parkway is that it is a speed enforcement zone and it is not uncommon for there to be a police presence there, so I would suggest not getting caught up in the flow of traffic, since the Cross County Parkway is not a highway and has a relatively low speed limit.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 PM

11,592 posts, read 15,937,908 times
Default Quick ride

it took me only 18 minutes to go from Riverdale on the H Hudson to the Conn State line using the Saw Mill/CCP/ Hutch combo. It could easily take that amount of time sitting on the Cross Bronx or Tappan Zee bridge route
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City