Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:05 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,371,388 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a "good" emergency room I can visit that isn't overcrowded and understaffed and actually willing to really look me over? I live in soho. Many years ago I actually left the one at Bellevue despite the fact that I screwed up my knee because the wait was simply too long. I can't imagine someone just sitting there and dying before they actually get to you. Would I have better luck at night, etc? What are some hospitals I should consider? I don't have insurance btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,538,027 times
It's all the same everywhere. Bellevue, the NYU hospital right next to Bellevue, St. Vincent's, NY Downtown, etc. Being that you don't have insurance, the private hospitals will probably make you wait more for non-life threating visits.

That's a very busy area where you're at. It gets worse when the clubs are in full effect.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,848,440 times
All hospitals will make patients with non-life threatening problems wait. Regardless of insurance status. Life-threatening problems come first, followed by urgent, followed by NOT urgent. That's what the triage nurse does. It has nothing to do with whether one is insured or not.

St. Vincent's has an excellent emergency room. But it should ONLY be used for emergencies, not other care.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 AM

210 posts, read 969,613 times
there are no good ERs in Manhattan, they are all overcrowded. I had good experience in beth Israel-the wait was not that long, but you never know. i would suggest to go to Hoboken, NJ, if you can, it is close to downtown, but the hospital is nice and not crowded.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 AM

When talking about a 'good' emergency room, the important criterion is the care - not the wait. Non-urgent problems will wait, no question about it.

As a resident I was seeing all kinds of problems that certainly didn't merit an ER visit, such as, 'I've had this rash for four months and I came now at 2:30 AM because I thought the ER wouldn't be crowded.' Or, 'my visa expires tomorrow and I wanted someone to do my routine gyn exam at 4AM.'

It's patients like this that lead to the waits in emergency rooms. But if you're really ill, what should be most important is the care you get, not the length of the wait. Triage nurses assess each patient in the medical/surgical ER (not the psych ER) and prioritize them for the other staff. I've seen many ERs in action. I can honestly say I was impressed with St. Vincent's and how they took care of my family member. And I didn't even work there or know anyone. They just did it.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-23-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 03:47 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,474,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
All hospitals will make patients with non-life threatening problems wait. Regardless of insurance status. Life-threatening problems come first, followed by urgent, followed by NOT urgent. That's what the triage nurse does. It has nothing to do with whether one is insured or not.

St. Vincent's has an excellent emergency room. But it should ONLY be used for emergencies, not other care.
, people have to know that Emergency Room are for emergencies.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM

210 posts, read 969,613 times
they dont. most of the people in ERs are not with emergencies-they are either drunk, high, or have no insurance and want to get tested for free. I've heard of the stories when women came to ER to get pregnancy tested, because they did not want to pay for a pregnancy test in the pharmacy.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,051,647 times
Quote:
Life-threatening problems come first, followed by urgent, followed by NOT urgent. ... it should ONLY be used for emergencies, not other care.
Two ERs in two states saved my life, twice, in different decades. I was able to get their care because they weren't clogged up with patients who should have been at clinics or doctors' offices. ERs are magnificent -- for emergencies.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
, people have to know that Emergency Room are for emergencies.
Yes, but they really don't. They come there for EVERYTHING, as a cited in my post. That's why waiting times are horrendous at times: people use them as their general care physician. As frustrating as it is for patients, it's also frustrating for hospital staff, because most of us are there NOT to care for acne 'emergencies' but rather to take care of people with heart attacks, strokes, etc.

And if you have no insurance you'll get a bill!

Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,051,647 times
Quote:
people with heart attacks, strokes, etc.
. . . pelvic peritonitis . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: