U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-23-2008, 01:30 PM

40,061 posts, read 17,570,695 times
Default Question for Mets fans

I'm wondering how my fellow Mets loyalists look at the team's new home, Citifield, set to open next year. Aside from the fact that many--if not most--fans seem to hate Shea, I think the real problem is yet to come...

Citifield will seat a good 15 or 20,000 fewer fans than Shea. In a city of eight million, was the anticipation of being able to claim a sellout at virtually every game really worth shutting all those additional fans out? The Dodgers left Brooklyn because they played in the smallest stadium in the league and wanted something larger. Now the Mets are moving to a much smaller stadium, and they're not being forced into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM

317 posts, read 715,533 times
I didn't like the idea at first, mostly because it seemed unnecessary, and I don't think there's anything wrong with Shea. But I gotta admit, the new field looks a lot better (from the outside, at least).

Of course, we won't really be able to answer this question until we see what the prices are like next year...

Unread 07-23-2008, 02:12 PM

528 posts, read 915,162 times
Baseball stadiums weren't meant to seat 55k. You need good sightlines and no one too far from the field.

That being said they know the laws of supply and demand. You make more money with fewer seats!

Unread 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,816,098 times
^^^ True, smaller the park, higher the price. Though, this will make for some pretty good views of the game. I actually like the fact that the seats will be angle towards the baseline. Also, when you're out on a snack run, you can still see the field when wealking towards the stands. So that is cool. I don't "hate" Shea, but it is time for the Mets to play in a ballpark that is fit for the 21st Century.

Unread 07-23-2008, 05:24 PM

1,916 posts, read 4,955,428 times
Heh, I don't know how Shea is doing this year, as it's the last season there, but in previous seasons, it would not be uncommon to see most of the top section to be completely empty. I usually get discounted or free Mets tickets (I don't even like them) for no reason at all, and a lot of people I know have been too, but the stadium was still barren. It really doesn't need that many seats, and personally, I like the look of Citifield better. On the flip side, I really don't favor so much money going into a stadium, but I guess it needs to get upgraded sometime.

Unread 07-23-2008, 05:26 PM

I understand supply & demand, and also the fact that a smaller ballpark means better viewing of the game--believe me, I prefer my baseball live to televised! What bothers me is that the real impetus for Citifield wasn't improved sightlines; it was the creation of more luxury boxes. As usual, the real fan gets the short end of the stick. As it turns out, SilkCity, you were right to use the term "fit for the 21st century," where fans don't mean as much as corporate sponsors.

As to filling seats at Shea, that's never been a problem when the Mets are playing well. This year, they just aren't consistent at all. And that shows up at the gate. Take, for example, the 1986 season. A stadium seating 55,000 had a tough time doing the job!

Unread 07-23-2008, 07:40 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,816,098 times
If I'm not mistaking, Shea has held the NY baseball attendence for years ( I believe like over 20 something years). Even when the Mets were down, the Mets still use to draw a considerable about of fans. Of course there were the days of the late 70s and early 80s, but hell, at least it ain't the Marlins.

Unread 07-23-2008, 09:42 PM

Hey, you should never utter the words "Mets" and "Marlins" in the same sentence! Baseball barely means anything in Florida, as opposed to New York, where it was born. (Go ahead--look it up. That nonsense about farm boys playing ball in cornfields is a lot of rubbish. Baseball happens to be an urban game!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City