U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,538,917 times

Advertisements

Washington Heights, hands down.
Family oriented
1 BR go for less than $1700
Right on the 1 line to hit Columbia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,743,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Washington Heights, hands down.
Family oriented
1 BR go for less than $1700
Right on the 1 line to hit Columbia
CPMC is IN Washington Heights. The problem is there's a child involved and the father is going to be in the area at least 3 years (depending on the program). Thus they need decent schools.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 AM

278 posts, read 1,087,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j9p View Post
Hi.
My son is a resident at Columbia. He and his wife were living happily in Park Slope (Brooklyn) until the commute and the high rent started to take its toll, so they've now moved to within a few blocks of Columbia. (Not the greatest neighborhood, but close to work for both of them.)
Here's why I'm writing. They have just discovered that they are going to be parents in February. (Surprise!) Their lease will be up around that time and while a 450 sq.ft. place in a not-so-safe neighborhood was fine for the two of them - they don't really want to raise a baby there.
They've been thinking of these places:
"...off the island, upstate or over the Hudson (NY OR NJ). Of course, then we face the fact that MY commute (the one dropping off and picking up [the baby]) would be longer, and [her husband] might have to get a used car or vespa. ...we were impressed with the Rye, NY, area, but I couldn’t be that far out everyday. Something more like Melrose or Morris Heights, NY (both upstate and on a major rail line).

Do any of you locals have any suggestions for a good (safe) neighborhood for a young working couple with a baby? I'm not sure about pricing, but I'm guessing 1200 - 1500/ month will be their limit.

THANKS!!
Why not try Bay Ridge, Brooklyn? It's very afforadable and also very family oriented. It's a great place to raise kids and it offers a pleathera of activites for a young family.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
Why not try Bay Ridge, Brooklyn? It's very afforadable and also very family oriented. It's a great place to raise kids and it offers a pleathera of activites for a young family.
The problem with Brooklyn is that it's very difficult/takes too long to get to Columbia-Presbyterian, up on W168th St, from there. I know, because I went to medical school and did my fellowship there.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 AM
j9p j9p started this thread

5 posts, read 6,437 times
ViralMD,
Yes, it was an hour+ commute from Brooklyn. You are all so kind to offer your help and opinions. We all appreciate it very much.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 AM

274 posts, read 1,000,819 times
I'd suggest they gut it out for the next 3-4 years. Better to be close to work. Doesn't Columbia have pretty good childcare?

Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Nope - no childcare!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM

10,755 posts, read 25,542,103 times
I just checked with someone I know who takes the subway from Riverdale, and if they are close to Manhattan College, at the northern end of Riverdale, near Van Cortlandt Park, it's directly on the #1 subway, which goes directly to Columbia at 168th, and it should take about 20-25 minutes on the train, adding walking to and from, it might be about 30 minutes door-to-door as a rough estimate. Other parts of Riverdale, southern and central, will require a transfer to a city bus at the subway, which adds maybe 10 minutes to the trip, but there's not as much walking.

Inwood, which is a little closer in, and is directly above Washington Heights, is a mix, with some decent buildings, some industrial, and some fantasic locations near the park. Overall, I would tend not to recommend it to families with infants and young children for several reasons.

I agree that Fort Lee is also worthy of consideration if they want to go to New Jersey as the commute is very simple to New York, and the area is safe and stable. Going out of the city into Westchester would not be an advantage because they would lose the easy commute to Columbia, since the MetroNorth train stops at 125th. And, with everything else going on, and the stress of a new infant, they'd likely not want a marathon commute.

There are some great areas that would be a fit for them as a young family and that will fit their price range, and I think it's wonderful that they have a mom such as yourself to research areas for them.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 PM
j9p j9p started this thread

5 posts, read 6,437 times
Awww, thanks bmwguy! Actually, I'm lucky in that we're more like good friends than mom, son and daughter-in-law. They are crazy busy and my job allows me to surf, so I thought I'd try to help. I've had nothing but positive experiences when I've been to NYC, and so far the people on this forum haven't changed my opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City