Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:27 PM

148 posts, read 246,519 times

Advertisements

Most of the gates in NY are racial/economic in nature

Physical boundaries can be actual gates, highways, rivers, coastlines, zoning restrictions (industrial, school district, land use etc.)

The enforcers are police/neighborhood watch/municipal/feasibility(cost of living)

And the justice is not found anywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:52 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,674,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Queens ones: There's a tiny condo community with a big old wall around it on the corner of Winchester Blvd and Hillside Ave in Bellerose. It's barely noticeable because it's on the same block as the also-gated Creedmoor campus, though separate. There's also another one maybe half a mile north on the same road, right after the sanitation depot in Douglaston. A third one I can think of is in a semi-one, in Bayside, there's a strange little neighborhood with no sidewalks, narrow streets and big houses. They have two little makeshift gate-thingies off of Bell Blvd, though the other entrances to the hood from the side streets don't seem to be gated at all.

The highest estimate I saw is that 6% of American households live in gated communities. The New York City metro does has gated communities, but I'd file them under "virtually non-existant" as well. Even suburban Long Island doesn't have that many, mostly concentrated on the north shore of Nassau, that's it. I've never met one person who lived in one here, but I do know people from here who moved to one in Florida or Arizona.

What we do have in NYC are buildings with doormen, however.

Bayside gables?? Very small compared to Breezy Point, Roxbury, Sea Gate, Silver Beach, and Edgewater.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 PM

624 posts, read 977,532 times
The suburbs would have more of this, but some areas which may have gated communities (I don't know for sure).

Bronx:
-Maybe in Throggs neck?
-Maybe in country club?
-Shorehaven in soundview

Queens:
-Possibly around Bayside?

Maybe somewhere on staten island?

Also if you really want to find out about isolated communities, investigate the small towns on fire island in long island. Very isolated and obscure.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:09 PM

478 posts, read 767,145 times
Llwellyn Park in West Orange, NJ.
Hah! Try to contact someone from *there*!
(Thomas Edison home is in there)

also there are some small communities (with their own police force!) in Nassau County, LI.
Like, around Great Neck. I know one is called Kensington.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM

589 posts, read 1,215,355 times
Bayside has a few gated communities.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 PM

749 posts, read 916,676 times
Is Mill Basin gated?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,872,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
Is Mill Basin gated?
Nope. Drove around there a while back. Sometimes feels like it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City