Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 AM

38 posts, read 387,990 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be meeting my girlfriend in NYC tomorrow (Saturday) and if the weather holds up, we would like to have a picnic in Central park.

We both are from the area, but have never really spent much time in central park.

We are meeting after a while, so looking for something fun & romantic, but nothing cheesy.

We will be meeting near Macy's and going from there.

There will be 2 of us, mid 30s, want to have a lunchtime picnic on Saturday.

Can you please help us:

(p.s Safety is of utmost importance. We dont want to venture out where we should not, even though its daylight)

1) Suggest some nice spots to lay out a blanket, enjoy lunch, relax and people watch.

2) Any good places between Macys and the picnic spots to grab a good picnic type lunch....

3) Any activities that you would recommend, apart from laying out a blanket and relaxing...

4) We just want to spend time together, so dont need to visit a Tavern on the Green or take a Buggy ride...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Regards,
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaccha View Post
Hi,

I will be meeting my girlfriend in NYC tomorrow (Saturday) and if the weather holds up, we would like to have a picnic in Central park.

We both are from the area, but have never really spent much time in central park.

We are meeting after a while, so looking for something fun & romantic, but nothing cheesy.

We will be meeting near Macy's and going from there.

There will be 2 of us, mid 30s, want to have a lunchtime picnic on Saturday.

Can you please help us:

(p.s Safety is of utmost importance. We dont want to venture out where we should not, even though its daylight)

1) Suggest some nice spots to lay out a blanket, enjoy lunch, relax and people watch.

2) Any good places between Macys and the picnic spots to grab a good picnic type lunch....

3) Any activities that you would recommend, apart from laying out a blanket and relaxing...

4) We just want to spend time together, so dont need to visit a Tavern on the Green or take a Buggy ride...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Regards,
Andy
Tomorrow should be a great day for a picnic, so here's what I would recommend. For a location that is not too far a walk from Macy's, I would recommend the open area of Sheep Meadow, behind behind the Tavern on the west side in the 60s. The Great Lawn is nice too, but it's nearer the ball fields and is a more of a walk from Macy's.

For picnic lunch supplies, I would suggest considering Whole Foods @ Columbus Circle, since you can do well with their prepared foods and can tailor the picnic to individual tastes. I think it's fast, easy, fresh, and you'd be good to go.

For activities, I would say to stroll around the Lake, take in Bethesda Fountain, go to the Literary Walk, and if you're feeling like kids, ride the Carousel. There's so much to do in the park, from discovering statues and fountains to taking in the water features, that I find it hard to be bored, just strolling and exploring, since you never fail to find something new when you take the time, which it sounds like you're going to do.

Have fun!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,635 times
There is a Whole Foods at Columbus Circle (across from the 59th St gate to the park) where you can pick up a wide variety of picnic foods. During the day, any place you want to lay your blanket will be fine. Space to lay a blanket = open space in plain view.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the replies.

So we go to the Whole Foods and then we enter the park from 59th street and ???.....and where does Sheep Meadow begin?

Thanks,
Andy

Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 AM

38 posts, read 124,348 times
balloon ride

Welcome to Aeroballoon: Own the sky: Locations (http://aeroballoon.com/locations-newyork-cp.shtml - broken link)

Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM

Sheep Meadow is on the west side of the park, north of the 65th St Transverse. You would enter at 59th and then proceed on West Drive, headed north, though this route does curve a bit. You would take the path that's closest to Central Park West and would roughly be headed in a diagonal from the Circle and then would curve to the left, roughly paralleling CPW, though the route curves a bit. You should pass restrooms on your left, that are close to CPW. Once across the 65th St. Transverse, Sheep Meadow begins on your right and runs to 69th St. You can also enter from CPW, further up, closer to Tavern, and you're right at Sheep Meadow, but the park walk is more relaxing.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaccha View Post
Thanks for the replies.

So we go to the Whole Foods and then we enter the park from 59th street and ???.....and where does Sheep Meadow begin?

Thanks,
Andy
You can't miss Columbus Circle. There is a huge column in the center. Is there a statue of Columbus on top? I never look up. Ha.

It is at 59th and Broadway or 7th - I think the circle is the nexus of all three streets perhaps? How can I not know the names of streets that I go to multiple times a week?

Old 07-25-2008, 12:19 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
You can't miss Columbus Circle. There is a huge column in the center. Is there a statue of Columbus on top? I never look up. Ha.

It is at 59th and Broadway or 7th - I think the circle is the nexus of all three streets perhaps? How can I not know the names of streets that I go to multiple times a week?
59th and 8th/Central Park West - Whole Foods is in the Time Warner Center.

The meadow is easy to find - its the grassy area with all the blindingly obscene number of people trying to get a tan on a sunny day.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Thanks!

I really appreciate all the suggestions and directions!

Regards,

Andy

Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM

I forgot to suggest a place for dessert or to get a coffee after your picnic and exploring the park. There's a great place, also in the Time Warner Center at 10 Columbus Circle, called Bouchon Bakery. It's on the third floor of the center, and the best intersection as a guide to #10 Columbus Circle, which is also where Whole Foods is located, is Broadway & 60th. Bouchon also has a sandwich business as well, which might be another alternative for your picnic, since they have a take out business.

Another option that would work for dessert and coffee, nearby, but a little more of a walk from the park, is Cafe Mozart which is at 70th & Broadway. The dessert and coffee business is really what makes this place known.

On the east side of the park, should you find your way over there, you might consider Serendipity 3 which is on 60th between 2nd & 3rd Avenues, 225 E 60th. The desserts and ice cream are excellent. Sometimes, there is a wait here.

You might also consider Chocolate Bar, which is on the 3rd Floor of Henri Bendel on Fifth Ave & 56th St. The desserts are wonderful here, and it's a branch of the original Chocolate Bar from the East Village. This would be a top recommendation, if you like chocolate.

And, on 45th, there's a Junior's, between Broadway & 8th, which has a good selection of desserts as well, from cheesecake to carrot cake, cookies, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City