U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,668,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
So it'd be OK if your daughter/mother/girlfriend/wife were 'brushed' by a complete stranger? Would they be acting 'girlish and sensitive?'

Men are no longer necessary to 'protect women' nor to ante up for their meals. And gifts are optional and go both ways now.
Men are very much needed, what are you talking about??

Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,770,880 times
They're not needed to 'protect' women or to pay for women's meals...I'm not saying they're not needed at all.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:21 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
They're not needed to 'protect' women or to pay for women's meals...I'm not saying they're not needed at all.
Yes they are, like Ace said most of the fireman, policemen, military, etc are MEN.

And if I am walking through a shady part of NYC, I would much rather have a man by my side than one of my girlfriends.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM

473 posts, read 1,513,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I don't see anything wrong with men getting physical (brushing by a lady on a crowded train/bus) or gazing up and down. Normal, healthy men are going to do these things whenever possibly, if I may say so myself.
I guess I need a trip to the E.R to get my wires checked since the only brushing I do is hair related. This sounds like a reading from a Dale Hinman case profile

Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,502,960 times
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with men getting physical (brushing by a lady on a crowded train/bus) or gazing up and down. Normal, healthy men are going to do these things whenever possibly, if I may say so myself.

I am involve with a female, but I can't expect her to satisfy me 24/7. So, my view is that I can take liberties with other women (that are within the bounds, such as accidently making contact and apologizing later) in order to satisfy myself. And in Manhattan this can be done without ramifications.

Women shouldn't be so girlish and sensitive in places such as NYC. Catcalling and staring are facts of life in any major city of the world. Places such as Vegas are small towns really.

Men are also expected to protect women, pay for their meals, buy them gifts etc. These are also facts of life.
.................................................. ......................................

Brushing against a woman, or any person in the subway deliberately, should be considered assault and/or battery, if it isn't already on the books. The perverts who do this are sick and contibute to one of the negatives of living in a crowded city like NYC.

Whistling at, admiring, saying "Hey good looking," to a woman is appreciated by many women while there are some who feel flushed. But when one gets to lewd, sexual comments and physical touching, there ought to be statutes perhaps under the label of harassment - verbal and physical.

All this discussion back and forth includes extremists - some who feel it's criminal to even look in appreciation at a woman and some who wish to de-criminalize physical touching. Neither extreme seems rational or appropriate.

.................................................. ........................................

BTW, is there anyone who's having trouble posting from one of their PC's and not the other? I seem locked out from posting on my home PC. Just wondering whether this is something else I need to research with my internet provider.

Thanks for any recommendation.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:48 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,137,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Brushing against a woman, or any person in the subway deliberately, should be considered assault and/or battery, if it isn't already on the books. The perverts who do this are sick and contibute to one of the negatives of living in a crowded city like NYC.
Sorry.. while I don't disagree that it's a bad thing. I believe we have no need for such a law... it's already such a fine line between what's sexual harassment and not, that many men get arrested or fined for something as trivial as complimenting a co-worker, that we really don't need any debates over accidental brushing up against and deliberateness.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,824,865 times
Welcome to NY.

These men are generally cowards and you can usually stare them down with your best murderous look of disgust. But not being from here, you're going to have to work on that for a while. Always keep your back to the wall on the subway. Otherwise what you're feeling is NEVER a briefcase. I've moved away from particularly lecherous creeps on the subway and they've used the windows to oggle my reflection.

It's really just all part of the charm of the city.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,502,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Sorry.. while I don't disagree that it's a bad thing. I believe we have no need for such a law... it's already such a fine line between what's sexual harassment and not, that many men get arrested or fined for something as trivial as complimenting a co-worker, that we really don't need any debates over accidental brushing up against and deliberateness.
.................................................. .............................................

Agreed that it's a fine line whene one examines VERBAL overtures like complimenting a coworker, etc.

What about physical contact? That's taking the matter a few steps downward. We don't want to arbitrarily arrest guys for accidental touching but how about if a cop sees a man pressing against a woman when there's lots of room in the car?

Anyway, analyticalkeys, whether one can prosecute for physical touching or not, as much as I love NYC, the crowds are a big minus - especially for females.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:16 PM

98 posts, read 85,649 times
Quote:

I am involve with a female, but I can't expect her to satisfy me 24/7. So, my view is that I can take liberties with other women (that are within the bounds, such as accidently making contact and apologizing later) in order to satisfy myself. And in Manhattan this can be done without ramifications.

Women shouldn't be so girlish and sensitive in places such as NYC. Catcalling and staring are facts of life in any major city of the world. Places such as Vegas are small towns really.

Men are also expected to protect women, pay for their meals, buy them gifts etc. These are also facts of life.
I'm sorry, but you are not a "normal healthy man" you sound like a (very) sick-in-the-head male that should be caged/locked up with the like headed, not roaming the streets molesting innocent and normal people of New York trying to get through their day without worrying about some psychopath preying on them on the subway.

I'm a "normal" male and I think your reasoning is very disturbing. I don't know what's more scary, you being so open about your creepy thoughts or the sick actions themselves. Seek help.

Last edited by liberal elite; 07-28-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 12:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,810,545 times
Quote:

And what if a man were to "accidentally" brush up against YOU -- would THAT be OK? After all, perhaps HIS partner isn't satisfying him 24/7 and, hey, there you are. You wouldn't be "wimpy" and "selfish" about him satisfying himself, now would you?

And just think, if you're lucky, maybe he'll buy you dinner later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or