U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewarmer View Post
Its NYC..why would you expect anything different? If you want the London/Paris experience..you should go to London/Paris! In NYC you can have the most exclusive, high end experience in the world..as well as the worst...and everything in between...which is what makes it so great. It is certianly not for everyone, and yes if you are cute and the train is packed I will accidentally brush up against you..but consider it a "welcome to the city." Everyone is happy..you get the NY experience and I get my money's worth out of my metrocard.... yay!
I cannot believe posts like this. It's not a game to "accidentally" brush up against someone because they are cute. If it's an accident, that's one thing, but an engineered accident is completely unacceptable as it's a form of harassment, and I scarcely think that the tourist board will be promoting it as a form of welcoming women to the city.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorainTarrytown View Post
When I was in high school we had a self defense training session and one of the things the trainers talked about was what to do if a stranger gropes you on the street/subway. They said to try to grab the offender's hand, stick it up in the air and say something to the effect of "this guy is groping me/grinding me" out loud so that everyone in the vicinty can hear you. I actually used that technique once (except I didn't feel like grabbing his hand!) and it was surprisingly successful. The guy ran away as quickly as he could. Absolutely make a scene and embarrass the guy!
An excellent strategy, indeed. Making a huge scene will get people interested, especially if there are salacious details. And, you might get lucky and have someone from law enforcement nearby who takes a special interest in the object of your attention.

It also works if you think someone is following you to yell at them to call attention to them. It might be a good idea to be sure they are not your neighbor as happened to someone I know. She followed this routine and screamed at a guy "Hey, are you following me?" a couple of times and even threatened to call the police. He was in earshot the second time and called out "I live on the floor below you! I'm going home, too!" My friend was so embarrassed, but she did get to know the guy, and even found a walking companion home some nights.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM

40 posts, read 22,202 times
Yeah except I would do the same thing and claim YOU were the one groping me in fact...OR I would scream "sorry babe not into fat chicks, ugly chicks, etc." or "sorry..but I am gay....and although you are quite mannish..your weewee is too small for me" or something along those lines.

You want to embarrass me..I can play that game like an expert. Nevertheless, a little train time fun is healthy and normal...no harm no foul. Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,127,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewarmer View Post
Yeah except I would do the same thing and claim YOU were the one groping me in fact...OR I would scream "sorry babe not into fat chicks, ugly chicks, etc." or "sorry..but I am gay....and although you are quite mannish..your weewee is too small for me" or something along those lines.

You want to embarrass me..I can play that game like an expert. Nevertheless, a little train time fun is healthy and normal...no harm no foul. Can't we all just get along?
lmao, I remember once in junior high school I screamed out in class, "NO KATHERINE, I WILL NOT BE YOUR BOYFRIEND!!" so that girl would stop annoying me.. that's what this scenario reminds me of!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,127,765 times
This is clearly one of those situations that Dave Chapelle was talking about when something so racist just happened that you don't even know what to say about it.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 AM

33 posts, read 26,084 times
Good point Andy..I suspect in a couple of years she will long for the days when anyone/anything would pay her any attention besides throwing rocks or putting change in her cup.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 AM

Lol...just what I figured...you should see the other post about "Being a male in NYC, what's with all the money obsessed/superficial women." Yawn...all the Harvard degrees in the world does not buy a lick of common sense, decency, or self-respect. I believe this thread is about done and is now, thanks to itsmebeeches, just her vehicle to express hatred for people of color. Any moderators around?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM

536 posts, read 2,091,211 times
I clearly remember my white-collar, white father driving his Toyota Avalon around Queens and LI and whistling or yelling "hey sweetcheeks" at 18-25 year-old girls constantly.

Don't live with him though, that hasn't rubbed off on me.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM

It's established that creeps come in all hues and ethnic groups.

I am just waiting for the "Toodles! or Ciao!" sign off...Ha! ha!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:43 AM

If we were having an intelligent conversation instead of "Eradicate this vermon" and "White people never do that it is only people of color" then we would continue the conversation...but what you have done is hijacked the thread and assaulted all people of color as subhuman. Yes that is quite an intelligent conversation.

Close the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or