U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 AM

658 posts, read 613,136 times

Advertisements

Women with inadequate sense of responsibility deserve all the responses they get from anyone who sees their advertising.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,752,915 times
Default heehee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Apparently the poster referenced by analyticalkeys is is not typical of the average woman. Reality check for her: normal women have been looked at, appreciated, complimented by normal men throughout history and it will continue forever. One's disgust with vulgarity and unwanted touching must not be confused with normal phyical attraction between men and women.

If I saw someone with her perspective on the train and knew the way she thinks, she could look like Angelina Jolie but I woudn't give her the time of day.

Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.
Sorry Miles, I'm actually pretty average - every woman I know and have talked to about this shares my opinion. You're obviously one of the men who does this to women, so how would you know how it feels to be on the other side of things? It's all about perception. What might seem like "appreciating" to you can easily feel "degrading" to a woman. And I can promise you I'm no exception. Of course, as I've said berfore, it can be done in a way that is non-threating and non-creepy and it's very nice! unfortunately, that's mostly not the case.
And in response to your argument that this behavior has gone on for centuries, etc...well, that's true. But it's also true that when we know better, we do better. That's why slavery is no longer legal in this country. That's why women are allowed to vote. Times change.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Default hmm.

[quote=jamesandveybe;4768499]Women with inadequate sense of responsibility deserve all the responses they get from anyone who sees their advertising.[/quote

Inadequate sense of responsibility? Would you care to clarify on that thought? And "advertising"? first, none of us are in any position to judge whether a woman is advertising by what she wears. maybe for a women who wears very little, that's just her sense of style and it makes her feel good about herself. It's not my bag, but hey, to each his own.

but more than that, this thread isn't about "women who dress really slutty and get cat-called" - it's about normal women, going about their business and having to deal with this type of stuff.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,491,996 times
You're obviously one of the men who does this to women, so how would you know how it feels to be on the other side of things
.................................................. .................................................. ...
not true at all. and your assumptions are as valid as your claim to being an average woman.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:50 AM

But it's also true that when we know better, we do better. That's why slavery is no longer legal in this country. That's why women are allowed to vote. Times change.
.................................................. .................................................. ...............

wow. what an analogy. Man says to woman, "You look beautiful and sexy." This is akin to slavery, lack of suffrage for women, etc.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:22 PM

From my short span on this earth, I truly believe that there is a universal consnsus among most law abiding, decent people - men and women - that unwanted physical touching in any of its manifestations - overt, groping, clawing, clutching, pressing against in a crowded subway, on the street, at a disco, on the beach - is repulsive and disgusting. Indeed also illegal.

In like fashion, most feel that comments of a lewd, sexual nature to a stranger are inappropriate and filthy.

However, I do believe that most average women feel complimented when told by a passerby that they look beautiful, attractive, etc.

In a city like NYC populated by heterosexuals, metrosexuals, and homosexuals, one can possibly find individuals who defy the averages. Possibly, some women prefer the compliments to be generated by another woman and because of their sexual orientation, are aghast when it's a man instead of a woman expressing the sentiments.

Likewise we have a ton of NYC metrosexuals riding the subways and traversing the streets, who in their paths leave behind a bevy of young women in a daze, panting and salivating.

While this has never been my good fortune, I do have metrosexual friends who spend hours in front of the mirror brushing and combing, drying and spraying, curling and twisting their hair in all directions, copy of GQ in front of them, John Mayer playing in the background, variety of colognes and gels, hair sprays ans perfumed handkerchieves to choose from.

Not surprisingly women catcall them and swoon over them when they hit the streets. Is that unsavory or obscene? I think not and neither do those fellas.

Perhaps those few women who prefer that a man should not address them in a complimentary way can just choose to IGNORE the compliment or say, "Hey fella, what gives you the right to tell me I'm beautiful?" And go along their merry way.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM

Default my bad

Quote:
You're obviously one of the men who does this to women, so how would you know how it feels to be on the other side of things
.................................................. .................................................. ...
not true at all. and your assumptions are as valid as your claim to being an average woman.
I apologize if i was wrong - you seemed to be defending the kind of men I'm talking about, so I presumed that you were one of them. I take it back

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-07-2008 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 PM

Default off the topic

Quote:
From my short span on this earth, I truly believe that there is a universal consnsus among most law abiding, decent people - men and women - that unwanted physical touching in any of its manifestations - overt, groping, clawing, clutching, pressing against in a crowded subway, on the street, at a disco, on the beach - is repulsive and disgusting. Indeed also illegal.

In like fashion, most feel that comments of a lewd, sexual nature to a stranger are inappropriate and filthy.

However, I do believe that most average women feel complimented when told by a passerby that they look beautiful, attractive, etc.

In a city like NYC populated by heterosexuals, metrosexuals, and homosexuals, one can possibly find individuals who defy the averages. Possibly, some women prefer the compliments to be generated by another woman and because of their sexual orientation, are aghast when it's a man instead of a woman expressing the sentiments.

Likewise we have a ton of NYC metrosexuals riding the subways and traversing the streets, who in their paths leave behind a bevy of young women in a daze, panting and salivating.

While this has never been my good fortune, I do have metrosexual friends who spend hours in front of the mirror brushing and combing, drying and spraying, curling and twisting their hair in all directions, copy of GQ in front of them, John Mayer playing in the background, variety of colognes and gels, hair sprays ans perfumed handkerchieves to choose from.

Not surprisingly women catcall them and swoon over them when they hit the streets. Is that unsavory or obscene? I think not and neither do those fellas.

Perhaps those few women who prefer that a man should not address them in a complimentary way can just choose to IGNORE the compliment or say, "Hey fella, what gives you the right to tell me I'm beautiful?" And go along their merry way.
Look. Bottom line, If you've read the previous threads, you'd see that I'm NOT objecting to a man saying tastefully, "hey, you look really nice" or "You're beautiful." I'll say it again - it's semantics and it's the manner in which it's said. If there's no creep-factor attached, no leering, etc, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not objecting to that, I'm objecting to sexual harassment.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM

If there's no creep-factor attached, no leering, etc,
.................................................. ..............................

Wow. Here we go again. What's a "creep?" What's "leering?" Very subjective. If you passed by and I "looked" in your direction (don't worry, this is just hypothetical, once you identify yourself, I'll be hightailing it in the opposite direction), how do we determine that I'm "leering?"

As to being a "creep' that definition is quite open-ended.

Friend of mine once had his fiance ditch him because as she put it, "I can't stay with you anymore, you creep, always leaving the toilet seat up!"

Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Default haha

Quote:
If there's no creep-factor attached, no leering, etc,
.................................................. ..............................

Wow. Here we go again. What's a "creep?" What's "leering?" Very subjective. If you passed by and I "looked" in your direction (don't worry, this is just hypothetical, once you identify yourself, I'll be hightailing it in the opposite direction), how do we determine that I'm "leering?"

As to being a "creep' that definition is quite open-ended.

Friend of mine once had his fiance ditch him because as she put it, "I can't stay with you anymore, you creep, always leaving the toilet seat up!"
Geez, why so personal, buddy?
No, in my opinion, a creep has nothing to do with a person's habits with bathroom fixtures.
This is my idea of leering: a guy passes me on the street and his head almost turns off his shoulders to keep looking, then he turns his body all the way around to KEEP watching and gives the all-the-way-down, all-the-way-up scan. THAT, I'd say, is leering. Clear enough for ya? A glance here or there isn't going to offend anyone. Everybody looks. but there's a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or