U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 PM
 
Location: No Sleep Til Brooklyn
1,413 posts, read 4,673,300 times
Reputation: 591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Apparently the poster referenced by analyticalkeys is is not typical of the average woman. Reality check for her: normal women have been looked at, appreciated, complimented by normal men throughout history and it will continue forever. One's disgust with vulgarity and unwanted touching must not be confused with normal phyical attraction between men and women.

If I saw someone with her perspective on the train and knew the way she thinks, she could look like Angelina Jolie but I woudn't give her the time of day.

Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.
Actually, she is correct. I am an average hetero woman and I don't want to hear compliments from any strangers. I am not here for your enjoyment and I don't need to hear about your judgement of my attractiveness.

How would you like it if gay men constantly told you how you rank?

 
Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,915 posts, read 7,128,643 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Actually, she is correct. I am an average hetero woman and I don't want to hear compliments from any strangers. I am not here for your enjoyment and I don't need to hear about your judgement of my attractiveness.

How would you like it if gay men constantly told you how you rank?
I've actually had this happen to me before.. considering I'm not gay, I just laugh it off, and say thanks.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 902,529 times
Reputation: 92
Well folks..I just bought myself pepper spray..that looks like lipstick! Isn't that grand? The next time a guy follows me and tries to get me into his car...or the next time he EVER tries to push into me inappropriately...I IS GONNA SPRAY HIM LIKE A MUTT!!!!! I can hardly wait to use my new toy! YIPEE!
 
Old 08-08-2008, 04:11 AM
 
1,867 posts, read 3,598,380 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Well folks..I just bought myself pepper spray..that looks like lipstick! Isn't that grand? The next time a guy follows me and tries to get me into his car...or the next time he EVER tries to push into me inappropriately...I IS GONNA SPRAY HIM LIKE A MUTT!!!!! I can hardly wait to use my new toy! YIPEE!
Mami, make sure the guy is actually threatening you physically rather than just verbally harassing you or you will end up getting locked up for that. As far as I always knew, pepper spray is illegal though people have always carried it. Anyone know? Also, I believe its pretty dangerous for the sprayee and remember that the wind may change and you will get some of that spray in your face as well, so definitely do not use that stuff lightly.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 04:20 AM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 902,529 times
Reputation: 92
LOL yeah I heard it's illegal..it's still easy to get. I was playing around..I'm not looking to spray any guy. I'll use my pepper spray more in a matter of life and death..I just wanted to deter some of these guys on here who seem to think women will take their groping,etc. lightly
 
Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 AM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,915 posts, read 7,128,643 times
Reputation: 539
Pepper spray is illegal, mace isn't. And yes, it IS dangerous.. you're actually advised to close your eyes and cover your nose by some.. depending on how strong it is, it can taint the air around you, and if you spray it in a room rather than outside, everyone in the room is advised to go to the hospital and get checked for poisoning.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 07:58 AM
 
1,551 posts, read 1,753,111 times
Reputation: 257
Default hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Pepper spray is illegal, mace isn't. And yes, it IS dangerous.. you're actually advised to close your eyes and cover your nose by some.. depending on how strong it is, it can taint the air around you, and if you spray it in a room rather than outside, everyone in the room is advised to go to the hospital and get checked for poisoning.
Actually, I just did a little research and I'm almost positive that it's the other way around - mace is illegal pretty much everywhere. Pepper spray isn't illegal everywhere, but in a lot of places (it's illegal in NY for instance.) I for one have a brother in NC where it IS legal so I had my Pepper Gel shipped there. I hope I'll never have to use it, but it makes me feel better to have it in the event that somebody tries to mess with me. I'd rather get in trouble for having illegal pepper gel than be assaulted or worse.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,915 posts, read 7,128,643 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Actually, I just did a little research and I'm almost positive that it's the other way around - mace is illegal pretty much everywhere. Pepper spray isn't illegal everywhere, but in a lot of places (it's illegal in NY for instance.) I for one have a brother in NC where it IS legal so I had my Pepper Gel shipped there. I hope I'll never have to use it, but it makes me feel better to have it in the event that somebody tries to mess with me. I'd rather get in trouble for having illegal pepper gel than be assaulted or worse.
You're right.. I was probably remembering some misleading information.

"In the state of New York, pepper spray may be legally possessed by any person age 18 or over; however, it must be purchased in person (i.e. cannot be purchased by mail-order or internet sale) either at a pharmacy or from a licensed firearm retailer (NY Penal Law 265.20 14 (a)), and the seller must keep a record of purchases. The use of pepper spray to prevent a public official from performing his/her official duties is a class-E felony" (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray )
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 902,529 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
You're right.. I was probably remembering some misleading information.

"In the state of New York, pepper spray may be legally possessed by any person age 18 or over; however, it must be purchased in person (i.e. cannot be purchased by mail-order or internet sale) either at a pharmacy or from a licensed firearm retailer (NY Penal Law 265.20 14 (a)), and the seller must keep a record of purchases. The use of pepper spray to prevent a public official from performing his/her official duties is a class-E felony" (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray )
I didn't keep a record of mine. But when chances come down to it...I will take the ticket for buying it the "incorrect" way (since it is SO hard to buy here) and take my saved life anyday. I hope that I never have to use it..but if I am put in a dangerous position to do so, you better believe I am going to spray the **** out of that person. I also carry a knife...and I know concealed weapons are illegal..but it makes me feel secure
 
Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
 
1,551 posts, read 1,753,111 times
Reputation: 257
Default oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
You're right.. I was probably remembering some misleading information.

"In the state of New York, pepper spray may be legally possessed by any person age 18 or over; however, it must be purchased in person (i.e. cannot be purchased by mail-order or internet sale) either at a pharmacy or from a licensed firearm retailer (NY Penal Law 265.20 14 (a)), and the seller must keep a record of purchases. The use of pepper spray to prevent a public official from performing his/her official duties is a class-E felony" (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray )
oh interesting! never knew that info about ny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top