U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM

12 posts, read 46,048 times

Advertisements

Jerks like this are the reason I carry mace. If I get my ass grabbed I 'm macing first and asking questions later.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:35 PM

838 posts, read 277,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm1985 View Post
Jerks like this are the reason I carry mace. If I get my ass grabbed I 'm macing first and asking questions later.
LOL! Someone has a mace-happy finger . Watch out perverted men...we're not gonna take it anymore! You is gonna get sprayed like a puppy!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:32 PM

384 posts, read 478,813 times
Most web sites don't ship mace or pepper spray to NY. The rules here are definitely anti-victim.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:17 PM

838 posts, read 277,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Most web sites don't ship mace or pepper spray to NY. The rules here are definitely anti-victim.
Yeah I know. I don't care about the law too much when it comes to that. I'm sure if I have to go to court for spraying some guy in the face with my illegal pepper spray that the judge is not going to throw me in prison. So it's worth the risk for me. I think the most they can do is give you a ticket or something right?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:22 PM

536 posts, read 1,564,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
The rules here are definitely anti-victim.
Well, with all weapon control laws--the logic is that anything used defensively can alternately be used offensively--so if every women is carrying pepper spray to protect herself from perverts... maybe the pervs would start carrying pepper spray to initiate their attack...

Old 08-16-2008, 07:29 AM

197 posts, read 570,299 times
As was said earlier the men who harass women in new york are probably less than 1% of men it is just due to NYers using the subway and walking more than in other cities you wind up encountering these men

Old 08-16-2008, 04:00 PM

431 posts, read 1,530,912 times
The OP's got some real issues. Doesn't Vegas have a much higher % of hispanics than NYC? Yes, they do. So it's not a Hispanic thing, It's a NYC thing. You should feel flattered that you are getting attention. Shoot, I left NY to move down South and it took me a few weeks to realize that something was missing. One day it dawned on me that when I was outside, I wasn't hearing any "psst" or "mami, you look so beautiful today." I was so used to those comments that when I didn't hear it anymore, it was strange. I love visiting NY now because I feel like a goddess walking down the street even if I'm not dolled up. That's what I love about NYC and the men. I don't consider it harrassment, unless of course, somebody grabbed my butt. That of course, crosses the line since that is physical contact, but girlfriend, you need to lighten up or hit the road back to Vegas.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:10 PM

19 posts, read 30,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
I haven't been in NYC very long (originally from Nevada) but never in my life have I experienced so many creepy men who blatantly stare me up and down, say nasty sexual comments to me, call me names, etc. until I moved here. I'm a pretty attractive, young, blonde girl, which is very common where I'm from, so I assume the guys there are just used to it. But here it's just ridiculous! So is it normal for a female to have 5 foot tall Hispanic men (oh you know what I'm talking about, I see them everywhere. They're all hispanic, short, and creepy. Often seen delivering food.) on the subway staring and whispering at you? To walk past a guy on the street and have him stop and turn around and shout something at you? When I'm walking down the street and see a group of construction workers I know what's coming. I've even had a guy grab my ass on a crowded subway.

Do these men have ANY respect for women?
Nope! I hate to get mugged (starred) too. I ask them what are they looking at. Of course their comments are I like what I see. I tell tell them its rude to stare regardless. How do you feel when you have to walk through a crowd of women? Does it make you uncomfortable? They say yes. So, I say what's the difference? With them its a physical thing. I crush them when they stare. I let them know how I feel about it. Tell them how you feel. The hispanics are worst!!!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:20 PM

Default Cat callers beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
what I meant is in Vegas platinum blonde hair/tan skin, kind of a 'socal' look is really popular and I hardly see anyone like this in NYC. The style here is totally different and maybe I stand out with my west coast style.

YOU don't have to explain yourself to anyone here. You get cat calls and touched inappropriately. I wish someone would tell me where to go back to etc if this was my post. More creeps hiding behind the keyboard. No sensitivity at all. I have no patience for it. I had a guy at a car wash threatening to touch me inappropriately. I was waiting. OMG!! I was waiting. Im no small girl but if he was willing to take that chance he would have never done that again without thinking. He feared that I would have called the cops. I'am a cop. I really would have enjoyed my training on his ignorance.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Does your "hispanic" include puerto ricans or do you mean Mexicans and South Americans, because in this regard I would say puerto ricans are like the white and black men you mention (and the immigrants' kids that grow up here dont seem to do that either -- American versus foreign born). Actually if you have a juicy round ass you will get comments from some people in those groups too, they're just more picky lol.

I hope this isn't considered a personal attack, but being so openly biased against an entire group, whether or not you've had individual issues with people in these groups, sort of sheds you in a negative light.

Well, geeesh! Let's not miss her point. I'm a black female and I concur with her remarks about the hispanic males. They are the freaking worst. I'm from NY but live in Va. And they are at the height of predators out here. But I let them know where I stand with their creepiness. I had a guy come into the laundry room one night while I was folding clothes. He made no move towards the wash machine or the dryers that was still running.

I kept my eye on him and gave him this look. He got scared. He didn't know whether to move or not. He chose to move toward a washer and acted as if he was checking clothes. He left and I never seen him again in that building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City