U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 06:12 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,491,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Well, I've lived in California, in Texas, and I now live in an Oregon burb where there is a humongous Hispanic population. And I can say through experience that Hispanic men are the most openly-appreciative of female beauty. Yes, they stare, sometimes like to honk their owns or give the occasional cat-call. They can stare all they want, it does not bother me in the least. At 56, it reminds me of the 60's and 70's when ALL guys behaved that way.

Of course, saying inappropriate things to someone, and ass-grabbing, is absolutely unacceptable. I don't know what you can do about that, though.
It's bad enough when women have to deal with vulgar comments. As bad as that is, any physical touching qualifies as battery/assault and is subject to arrest of the perpetrator. It's awful that some men feel that it's quite okay to harass women in this way. Most decent men are able to distinguish natural admiration and compliments on beauty to a female from other behavior- and are appropriately disgusted, angry, vehement, even inclined to be violent toward those who would harm our mothers, sisters, wives, girlfriends, aunts, daughters, granddaughters, etc.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:23 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
It's bad enough when women have to deal with vulgar comments. As bad as that is, any physical touching qualifies as battery/assault and is subject to arrest of the perpetrator. It's awful that some men feel that it's quite okay to harass women in this way. Most decent men are able to distinguish natural admiration and compliments on beauty to a female from other behavior- and are appropriately disgusted, angry, vehement, even inclined to be violent toward those who would harm our mothers, sisters, wives, girlfriends, aunts, daughters, granddaughters, etc.
As much as I preach against hitting men first, the one time I hauled off and smacked someone is when a guy (not a Hispanic, a European) grabbed my butt like this other one did to the Originator in the subway. I couldn't believe the rage ~ and the reaction was that quick. This wasn't in NY. I suppose I could have triggered violence when I hit 'em but I didn't ~ perhaps I was lucky.

When I was young, looking back on it, guys behaved pretty rough by today's standards. And I say 'guys' instead of 'boys', because it wasn't always teenagers.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
As much as I preach against hitting men first, the one time I hauled off and smacked someone is when a guy (not a Hispanic, a European) grabbed my butt like this other one did to the Originator in the subway. I couldn't believe the rage ~ and the reaction was that quick. This wasn't in NY. I suppose I could have triggered violence when I hit 'em but I didn't ~ perhaps I was lucky.

When I was young, looking back on it, guys behaved pretty rough by today's standards. And I say 'guys' instead of 'boys', because it wasn't always teenagers.
Disrespect for women by some men is as old as history. Moral outrage likewise has a long tradition. I personally feel that it's important to distinguish what I refer to as normal physical attraction/complimeting from sexual comments and touching of a stranger.

Sorry for you and all the women who've been humiliated to have your body violated by those vermin who probably never respected a single woman in their lives and whose only value system of females revolves around dirty magazines/videos which portray women as sex objects only.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,536,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
It's not just Latinos (Mexicans). White guys have been vulguar and sexual to me in the past. If anything, it's an income thing.
Yeah...thats true. I do think back now when I was a caterer in NYC for the rich folk...some of them could be pretty arrogant.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
I'm used to catcalls, as every NY women is. The staring, and comments don't bother me as long as they aren't disgusting, creepy, or vulgar. Of course, that is subjective, and what I find creepy someone else might not. I just don't want some guy in the street/subway EVERY trying to touch me, or he will get hurt. ;-)

Recently, I was walking by my apt and these two guys riding bikes were circling around me. "You are beautiful." "Looking good." Blah blah I keep walking. One guy says something about getting my number or something, and I'm like "No," so he goes, "Ya know what? You ugly anyway!!!!" LMAO stupid boys.

I think most men don't take it too far. There have only been a few times where I felt uncomfortable. It can get annoying sometimes, but I think I just tune it out.

from the pic of you on another thread, I'd have to say that not only are those fellas losers unable to get a decent woman the normal way but they seem to be blind too - perhaps they are both blind and ugly.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:41 PM

27 posts, read 52,106 times
I just moved to NY and I love it. Especially manhattan, the people are so nice, especially the women. When im out to have a good time with my friends I say and talk to women, they are much nicer than other places. Each city has its own thing. Ive lived in Miami, Washington DC, philly. Ive never had so much luck with women than with any other city.

People in philly are generally nasty and mean, lots poor people around
Manhattan you have a mix, but it is generally nicer people than philly. Lot of people work in finance/bank/business.
Washington..lots of people work in govt. Nice people
Miami....very superficial city....people spending money they dont have.

As for you unlvstudent. Just ignore the rude people, and be around people so you are safe. Enjoy.

Last edited by LoveDaApple; 10-12-2008 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-13-2008, 10:20 AM

17 posts, read 32,847 times
WOW

Long thread, I'm not sure what's mention, I did not read all of it, but have you consider how you dress walking the streets?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 AM

467 posts, read 1,503,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside_cruise View Post
WOW

Long thread, I'm not sure what's mention, I did not read all of it, but have you consider how you dress walking the streets?

Men will stare and make comments no matter what you are wearing!!! I can be coming back from the gym- no makeup, gym clothes, hair a mess- and they will catcall.

Plus, if I am going out with my girls or my man and I want to dress sexy, that doesn't mean I'm a "****" or that men have the right to be vulgar or make sexual comments.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:23 PM

643 posts, read 1,728,492 times
I look but don't stare and I'm usually too nervous to say anything.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 22,917 times
UNLV student, please don't listen to all this nonsense about how it's ok to be loud and obnoxious and you should grow a backbone when I guy grabs you. In fact this kind of stupidity paints NYC in a bad light. Yes, the men here are aggressive, but there is a line. Most men know when they cross over it they will get arrested- ex. if they put their hands on you. Don't be so quick to make eye contact and just be on guard more. I'm a blonde woman myself and a NY native. Not all New Yorkers are common and low class but some people are. You will always have ignorant people no matter what gender, race they are. Yes some people in NY think it's a God given right to be obnoxious but believe it or not it's your right to call them on it too. Don't listen to people who have taken offense at what you have said and don't seem to read in between the lines that you are more concerned than anything else. Don't worry you will be fine. There are many well educated men in the city who don't act like this and they are of any race. You are getting a certain kind of element defending bad behavior and you are running into a certain kind of element as well. Don't take it seriously. Just watch what areas you are in. The upper east side and midtown are best. Stay away from lower east side/Alphabet streets or past 100th street. Good luck and ignore people who are fools and act like it's ok to be a NYC meathead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or