U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksands View Post
UNLV student, please don't listen to all this nonsense about how it's ok to be loud and obnoxious and you should grow a backbone when I guy grabs you. In fact this kind of stupidity paints NYC in a bad light. Yes, the men here are aggressive, but there is a line. Most men know when they cross over it they will get arrested- ex. if they put their hands on you. Don't be so quick to make eye contact and just be on guard more. I'm a blonde woman myself and a NY native. Not all New Yorkers are common and low class but some people are. You will always have ignorant people no matter what gender, race they are. Yes some people in NY think it's a God given right to be obnoxious but believe it or not it's your right to call them on it too. Don't listen to people who have taken offense at what you have said and don't seem to read in between the lines that you are more concerned than anything else. Don't worry you will be fine. There are many well educated men in the city who don't act like this and they are of any race. You are getting a certain kind of element defending bad behavior and you are running into a certain kind of element as well. Don't take it seriously. Just watch what areas you are in. The upper east side and midtown are best. Stay away from lower east side/Alphabet streets or past 100th street. Good luck and ignore people who are fools and act like it's ok to be a NYC meathead.
The majority of people did not say it was ok for a man to grab a woman!!! Most of the men on here were polite and respectful and said they might stare or make a comment like "you are pretty" or something like that. Most people on this thread said that vulgar and sexual comments were not right, but that it happens when you have millions of people walking around together like NYC, which it does. It's not right, and NO ONE SHOULD EVER TOLERANT TOUCHING/GROPING/ETC.

I don't think anyone said to "get a backbone when a guy grabs you." Touching someone like that is completely unacceptable, and I think the majority of people here said that!

People got annoyed at the OP because she made it like it was just a Latino/Mexican thing, and it's not!!! I hear catcalls from every single race/ethnicity.

I also don't agree with your comment about staying in midtown and the UES; you will deal with catcalling there too!!! And to say stay away from the LES or above 100th St is silly, and maybe even a hint of subtle racism there....

I love the LES much more than midtown...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,067,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
The majority of people did not say it was ok for a man to grab a woman!!! Most of the men on here were polite and respectful and said they might stare or make a comment like "you are pretty" or something like that. Most people on this thread said that vulgar and sexual comments were not right, but that it happens when you have millions of people walking around together like NYC, which it does. It's not right, and NO ONE SHOULD EVER TOLERANT TOUCHING/GROPING/ETC.

I don't think anyone said to "get a backbone when a guy grabs you." Touching someone like that is completely unacceptable, and I think the majority of people here said that!

People got annoyed at the OP because she made it like it was just a Latino/Mexican thing, and it's not!!! I hear catcalls from every single race/ethnicity.

I also don't agree with your comment about staying in midtown and the UES; you will deal with catcalling there too!!! And to say stay away from the LES or above 100th St is silly, and maybe even a hint of subtle racism there....

Thanks for saying it so well, jax. You're so right on the money! I believe the poster in question must NOT have read through the entire thread or she wouldn't have leaped to such ludicrous conclusions. Plus her steering the OP to certain areas is based on a false premise.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 PM

614 posts, read 1,109,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post

I agree on all of that, including the last comment. Midtown is too crowded. The villages East, West and Greenwich are where it's at.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
I look but don't stare and I'm usually too nervous to say anything.
Don't worry too much, ihf. At least you know why you look at a sexy woman. My deceased stepfather always said that a man knows that he's over the hill when he looks at an attractive woman but forgets why he's looking.

(hope jax doesn't see this post or I'll get a harsh reprimand - maybe she's in school and won't have time to review these old threads)

Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,974,034 times
I don't want to sound like a party-pooper, but I think this thread has been beaten to death. It is time to close it?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I don't want to sound like a party-pooper, but I think this thread has been beaten to death. It is time to close it?
You are a pary pooper

WE can still discuss this vibrant issue some more. Hey Silk, do you stare at girls or just look at them?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,974,034 times
I look at women, not girls.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 PM

48 posts, read 106,919 times
To quote Dave Chapelle...... " Everything is alright, if it's all white".

Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM

467 posts, read 1,102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC0820 View Post
To quote Dave Chapelle...... " Everything is alright, if it's all white".
lmfao. i miss Chapelle!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:11 PM

139 posts, read 455,068 times
Welcome to NYC ... the outer boroughs aren't quite so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City