U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 04:10 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,755,296 times

Advertisements

welcome to life in the big apple and it only gets worse - you need to toughen up to survive in nyc - people will say what they please at any time any place - i was riding the subway one day and a woman gets on holding 2 pairs of shoes with none on her feet - right away i knew i was in for trouble - we apparently were both getting off the same stop so i let her go first and gave her a big headstart - as i got close to the staircase which she was already on she dropped tissues (im sure not clean) down on me - expect the unexpected which is usually not a good thing -

Old 10-21-2011, 04:12 PM

1,090 posts, read 2,787,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... is that this type of behavior is NOT a courting ritual and really has nothing to do with attraction to the target female.

If anyone thinks this is the way men meet women, get married and have babies (as mentioned above), then all I can say is I am stunned. Did your father do that to your mother?

What it is IS an aggressive, hostile, degrading method of showing utter contempt for the target female, as in "you are nothing but a piece of ass and I can treat you like dirt. LOL!"

Younger females are not targeted because they are more attractive than older ones, but because they can be more easily embarassed or intimidated and the men who engage in this behavior get off on that. I admit when I was younger I would blush, look at the ground wishing a hole would open up for me to fall into and hide in, etc., when these things happened. Now I meet it head on and the aggressors end up getting no pleasure out of it whatsover.
Not me, I tell them to go f*** themselves. I usually try not to, but enough is enough sometimes. We're not on the animal channel during mating season and they can get off my rear.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 PM

371 posts, read 688,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Not me, I tell them to go f*** themselves. I usually try not to, but enough is enough sometimes. We're not on the animal channel during mating season and they can get off my rear.
Yep ... they've got as much sophistication as a gorilla on heat

Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 PM

5,079 posts, read 5,427,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
Oh my goodness.
Do you really think people find this attractive? Only a moron makes 'hissing' and 'kissing' sounds to women on the street.
I can't believe you actually said that
Hey I neither condone it nor participate in it, but there's a reason why some people think that "nice guys finish last."

I know that there's alot of emotion pouring out on here from those who hate it--but as painful as it may be for some to admit, the "hissing" "kissing" and obnoxious one-lliners do work on some women.

This fantasy of the men who usually get women by sweeping them off their feet and sereneding them with flowers, poetry and other "gentlemen" like qualities is just that...a fantasy in a perfect world.

I suspect that most men (in NYC) get women by playing the numbers game with whatever it is that they think will work.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:38 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,979,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
LOL! When I was in my teens and early 20's unfortunately I was intimidated by this and would not have dreamed of saying, "Go *** yourself!" I just wanted to get away from them ASAP. How old are you?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Hey I neither condone it nor participate in it, but there's a reason why some people think that "nice guys finish last."

I know that there's alot of emotion pouring out on here from those who hate it--but as painful as it may be for some to admit, the "hissing" "kissing" and obnoxious one-lliners do work on some women.

This fantasy of the men who usually get women by sweeping them off their feet and sereneding them with flowers, poetry and other "gentlemen" like qualities is just that...a fantasy in a perfect world.

I suspect that most men (in NYC) get women by playing the numbers game with whatever it is that they think will work.
My thoughts on this ....
1. I have been a woman for a long time and cannot think of one instance where another woman found 'hissing and kissing' noise appealing ... except for maybe a prostitute? Maybe - only surmising ? Maybe a prostitute standing on the street would take notice?
2. Men 'playing the numbers game' with this and other behaviour is kinda jerkish and immature. I suspect there is a very good reason why they are single. Or, on the other hand - a very good reason why so many eligible NYC women might be single ? More unattractive behaviour

Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM

5,079 posts, read 5,427,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
My thoughts on this ....
1. I have been a woman for a long time and cannot think of one instance where another woman found 'hissing and kissing' noise appealing ... except for maybe a prostitute? Maybe - only surmising ? Maybe a prostitute standing on the street would take notice?
2. Men 'playing the numbers game' with this and other behaviour is kinda jerkish and immature. I suspect there is a very good reason why they are single. Or, on the other hand - a very good reason why so many eligible NYC women might be single ? More unattractive behaviour
I can personally attest to have witnessed "hissing" sounds working on women who weren't prostitutes. That's why I brought that point up, but keep in mind that it doesn't end there. The girl being hissed at may turn around and may like what she sees. The guy then proceeds to talk to her, get her number and the rest is history. This is why I said that there are people who wouldn't even be here today if some of these men didn't take the chances that they were taking with women.

Also, I wouldn't automatically conclude that the men playing the numbers game are necessarily single. Some just play it to add more numbers to their cache, and many women in nyc are ready and willing to play.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,979,611 times
Quote:

"Nice guys finish last" does not mean "obnoxious guys finish first" ... especially when it comes to rude displays of obscene behavior out in public aimed at women. They are different things. Let me explain. Women can be their own worst enemies. Yes, I said it. There are some women that have a fixation on "bad boys" or "men who need fixing." These men give them terrible trouble, but to the woman it's her own "do it yourselfer" project ... fixing the bad man ... and she keeps trying until she "wins" or the bad boy dumps her. (An interesting sidenote is if the woman actually wins and tames the bad boy, all of a sudden, he's boring to her and SHE dumps him!)

Now when a really good man, a "nice guy" we will say, comes across a woman like this and is interested in her and treats her well, that is weird to her, so more often than not she will foolishly put the guy in the "friend zone" ... and even annoy the guy by asking for "advice" on how to fix the current bad boy she is obsessing over.

But even with all this, hooting, hissing, kissing and shouting obscene things in the street or on the train generally does NOT cause even a woman fixated on bad boys to "want" a man who does such things.

I will also say that "nice guys" don't have to finish last. What they have to do is ASSESS if a woman they are interested in is one of the types that obsesses over bad boys. If the answer is YES, move on and find a woman with more sense in her head! Friend zone, schmend zone. Just move on. Don't try and prove how "good" you really are and how much better you are than the moron she's obsessing over and then you, yourself suffer rejection. Reason being, the woman is an idiot and doesn't appreciate quality in men. Her brain is wired wrong and she prefers a PITA for a man. Don't feel bad either. It's nothing wrong with the good guy, it's something wrong with the woman.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,591,746 times
Makes me think of this

http://youtu.be/1DViogbPTH4

Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I can personally attest to have witnessed "hissing" sounds working on women who weren't prostitutes. That's why I brought that point up, but keep in mind that it doesn't end there. The girl being hissed at may turn around and may like what she sees. The guy then proceeds to talk to her, get her number and the rest is history. This is why I said that there are people who wouldn't even be here today if some of these men didn't take the chances that they were taking with women.

Also, I wouldn't automatically conclude that the men playing the numbers game are necessarily single. Some just play it to add more numbers to their cache, and many women in nyc are ready and willing to play.
'Hissing and kissing' sounds are more likely to be part of the mating ritual in the Bronx zoo
It's is not normal, healthy behaviour for well-adjusted adults.
It's just plain weird and freaky.
And I wouldn't like to run into one of these guys in a quiet street after dark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or