U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM

317 posts, read 758,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
oh please..... Did I say EVERY hispanic man does this? No, I said that the ones that I have encountered have been pretty creepy.
You did say that, and you're STILL saying that while there may be hispanic men who are not creepy, you have not encountered them. You don't qualify it by saying that this is a subset or certain individuals - you just use the broad brush and say "these people are creepy". Maybe that's not how you FEEL, but that's what your posts say.

It's so easy to justify words based on your own feelings, but when you say things about entire groups, then you are insulting a great many people who have done nothing and are lumped together with other people based SOLELY on their place of origin. That people always find a way to dismiss this and point at singular experiences they have had as their justification is just so frustrating to me.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 AM

536 posts, read 1,509,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
But aren't Blonde and Blue eyes a minority in New York?
If that makes me a minority here, I'm cool with it. I never really think about my hair and eye color, but it is odd because I'm half-Puerto Rican. The other half is Irish and Polish, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,740,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I don't think that anyone is as digusting and bold about it as hispanics. Not saying that they all are that way, but this has been my own personal experiences.

I totally disagree with this. I find Hispanic guys will say something in passing, but its usually on the nicer side, like a whistle or something. I think some White Men and some African American men are worse than the Hispanic guys. Don't generalize to much either. We are talking about a few bad apples.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Typical response -- blame men for your problems and call anti-social attitudes a "good thing".

I can count on one hand the number of times I saw girls getting picked up in a Manhattan bar/club by someone other than me or my buddies.

I doubt all these NYC men would cat-call, leer, and grope women if they had no problem with picking up women.

Let me ask you: When was the last time you had a relationship?

I just find it hard to believe Manhattan women are that "anti-social" but maybe they are. I have been out of the dating pool for 7 years.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,214,981 times
on a serious note..............

to the OP, most of us oppose any of the physical, verbal, or emotional harassment you've experienced. some feel that your reference to a certain ethnic group in a general way was inappropriate, but I believe 99.9 % would not want that experience when the verbal comments become sexually graphic and humiliating
.................................................. .................................................. ....

on a lighter note................

hey guys, we can't have this situation going on..i mean so many lonely folks aboard.

people heading to vegas, women bolting out of apartments based on sizes, people not in relationships for 7 years, deliverymen bringing cold food to our apartments, cold showers not working, guys getting drunk at bars, attractive women not seeing action in years. what's the city becoming?

maybe we should all throw a party and get together...minus the delivery guys mentioned here unless they can be taught how to whistle without touching.

let's stop this mad exodus to vegas. y'all - men and women alike.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM

2,912 posts, read 7,025,017 times
This really isn't a funny situation. I know when I was the OP's age (and looks) I had exactly the same things happen to me - that's why I stopped riding the subway and either walked or took the bus. It was nauseating and really shook me up. It's always the creepy ones who make your skin crawl that seem agressive like you're fair game. It's frightening and it makes you feel unsafe and dirty. Could be it's a cultural thing or the way they were raised where it's ok to target women for sexual harassment. Whatever it is it stinks.

My approach was to adopt an 'I'm a killer' look and attitude. Neither did I ever take my hand off a container of mace in my pocket when out in public. I also took self defense classes and was fully willing to cause harm of any extent if needed. The good news is that once you reach a certain age the problem goes away. I wouldn't say it's fully exclusive to NYC just more obvious, pronounced, unreserved, and unchecked.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
on a serious note..............

to the OP, most of us oppose any of the physical, verbal, or emotional harassment you've experienced. some feel that your reference to a certain ethnic group in a general way was inappropriate, but I believe 99.9 % would not want that experience when the verbal comments become sexually graphic and humiliating
.................................................. .................................................. ....

on a lighter note................

hey guys, we can't have this situation going on..i mean so many lonely folks aboard.

people heading to vegas, women bolting out of apartments based on sizes, people not in relationships for 7 years, deliverymen bringing cold food to our apartments, cold showers not working, guys getting drunk at bars, attractive women not seeing action in years. what's the city becoming?

maybe we should all throw a party and get together...minus the delivery guys mentioned here unless they can be taught how to whistle without touching.

let's stop this mad exodus to Vegas. y'all - men and women alike.

lol... no I meant I have been in a relationship for 7 years, so therefore I have been out of the dating pool.

But yes, sounds like Manhattan women need to lighten up and come back down to earth lol...

And all of the harrassment needs to stop!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM

2,775 posts, read 8,423,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
In NYC we have lots of very poor, lots of very rich, lots of ethnicities... throw them together in Manhattan and you have class and race tensions and resentments.

There's also lots of gender tension.

Manhattan has the most rich, single, young women in the US per capita. Ironically, many of them aren't interested in hooking up or having relationships. I can only imagine it's like to be a "5 foot tall", poor, hispanic delivery boy being surrounded by flocks of attractive women with whom I had chance with. So, the guys cat-calling you are probably desperate as hell.

NYC guys tend to be more aggressive with women because they're desperate. Case in point: my NYC buddy moved to Vegas and gets lucky every weekend with the locals; in Manhattan he had about a year dry spell.
Who's your friend? Spitzer?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 179,792 times
Ok I'm sorry but the truth is most females my age feel the exact same way towards Hispanic men. All my friends back in Vegas and the girls I have met so far in NYC have complained about being harassed by them, but of course we can only tell friends or other girls our age. God forbid we complain about it to someone else, forget about being continually harassed by them, we're at fault for being racist!!

And don't tell me I must be some slutty blonde girl wearing skimpy clothing, because I'm not. I shouldn't have to dress conservatively and act tough and carry mase around at all times to get these people to leave me alone. And another thing, the truth is that the majority of these construction workers or people living in the projects or people brought up wrong ARE minorities who don't know any better. You just don't see many white people like that, so they KNOW how to act and how to respect people. Don't turn me into the bad guy and call me racist. I'm sure you would feel the same way if the only race of people who sexually harass you every day are Hispanic. Am I saying they're all like this? No. But most of them are.

My guess is that most have you are men or people who have never experienced this. It isn't funny and it makes you feel degrated and dirty.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
Ok I'm sorry but the truth is most females my age feel the exact same way towards Hispanic men. All my friends back in Vegas and the girls I have met so far in NYC have complained about being harassed by them, but of course we can only tell friends or other girls our age. God forbid we complain about it to someone else, forget about being continually harassed by them, we're at fault for being racist!!

And don't tell me I must be some slutty blonde girl wearing skimpy clothing, because I'm not. I shouldn't have to dress conservatively and act tough and carry mase around at all times to get these people to leave me alone. And another thing, the truth is that the majority of these construction workers or people living in the projects or people brought up wrong ARE minorities who don't know any better. You just don't see many white people like that, so they KNOW how to act and how to respect people. Don't turn me into the bad guy and call me racist. I'm sure you would feel the same way if the only race of people who sexually harass you every day are Hispanic. Am I saying they're all like this? No. But most of them are.

My guess is that most have you are men or people who have never experienced this. It isn't funny and it makes you feel degrated and dirty.

Really?? Have you ever walked through a really poor white trailer park??

And yes I have experienced exactly what you are talking about and it has nothing to do with the race of the man. If you are going to come on a message board and make blanket statements about entire races, you should know you are going to get responses similar to the ones you are getting on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City