U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Queens
841 posts, read 3,927,703 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
Ok I'm sorry but the truth is most females my age feel the exact same way towards Hispanic men. All my friends back in Vegas and the girls I have met so far in NYC have complained about being harassed by them, but of course we can only tell friends or other girls our age. God forbid we complain about it to someone else, forget about being continually harassed by them, we're at fault for being racist!!

And don't tell me I must be some slutty blonde girl wearing skimpy clothing, because I'm not. I shouldn't have to dress conservatively and act tough and carry mase around at all times to get these people to leave me alone. And another thing, the truth is that the majority of these construction workers or people living in the projects or people brought up wrong ARE minorities who don't know any better. You just don't see many white people like that, so they KNOW how to act and how to respect people. Don't turn me into the bad guy and call me racist. I'm sure you would feel the same way if the only race of people who sexually harass you every day are Hispanic. Am I saying they're all like this? No. But most of them are.

My guess is that most have you are men or people who have never experienced this. It isn't funny and it makes you feel degrated and dirty.
You must be new to NYC. I've seen PLENTY of white guys act up around females, so you should not generalize

 
Old 07-25-2008, 11:56 AM
 
Location: No Sleep Til Brooklyn
1,413 posts, read 4,673,300 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
Ok I'm sorry but the truth is most females my age feel the exact same way towards Hispanic men. All my friends back in Vegas and the girls I have met so far in NYC have complained about being harassed by them, but of course we can only tell friends or other girls our age. God forbid we complain about it to someone else, forget about being continually harassed by them, we're at fault for being racist!!

And don't tell me I must be some slutty blonde girl wearing skimpy clothing, because I'm not. I shouldn't have to dress conservatively and act tough and carry mase around at all times to get these people to leave me alone. And another thing, the truth is that the majority of these construction workers or people living in the projects or people brought up wrong ARE minorities who don't know any better. You just don't see many white people like that, so they KNOW how to act and how to respect people. Don't turn me into the bad guy and call me racist. I'm sure you would feel the same way if the only race of people who sexually harass you every day are Hispanic. Am I saying they're all like this? No. But most of them are.

My guess is that most have you are men or people who have never experienced this. It isn't funny and it makes you feel degrated and dirty.
Actually, you are wrong. I have been so harassed by certain men that I refuse to move to certain neighborhoods. I have been harassed to the point of fearing for my own safety. I have been groped, I have been followed by men in cars. I have been asked "how much?" as if I were a prostitute. As I mentioned earlier, I actually had to see a therapist about it because I realized that I was putting on weight as a defense against these attacks - not that getting heavier made a difference.

Sadly, most of these encounters have happened by men of one ethnic group, but I know that this is a class/culture issue, not a race/culture issue. But mostly, it is about power. Like all sex crimes, it is not about attractiveness - it is about sick powerless men trying to feel like they are somebody. It becomes tragic when a person turns the behavior of some members of one group into a condemnation of all people of that group.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
 
3,225 posts, read 7,492,980 times
Reputation: 868
Default Excellent Post...

UpsonDowns.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
215 posts, read 734,188 times
Reputation: 98
Two words: pepper spray.


And who cares about being blond haired/blue eyed? Nobody really cares if you think you're attractive....that's irrelevant. Even average/less-than-average girls get hit on and whistled at. Like......me for example.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
 
32 posts, read 240,784 times
Reputation: 60
And the reason why I'm "racist" is because of experiences like these. You can't tell me if you were a young girl you wouldn't be afraid of a group of Hispanic men in baggy clothes approaching you.

And I wouldn't call myself racist, the truth just is most of them me who act this way happen to be a certain class of a certain race.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
 
1,278 posts, read 3,664,674 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
And the reason why I'm "racist" is because of experiences like these. You can't tell me if you were a young girl you wouldn't be afraid of a group of Hispanic men in baggy clothes approaching you.

And I wouldn't call myself racist, the truth just is most of them me who act this way happen to be a certain class of a certain race.

This is where you are wrong. You are obviously to young to understand that **** heads come in every color.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Queens
841 posts, read 3,927,703 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
And the reason why I'm "racist" is because of experiences like these. You can't tell me if you were a young girl you wouldn't be afraid of a group of Hispanic men in baggy clothes approaching you.

And I wouldn't call myself racist, the truth just is most of them me who act this way happen to be a certain class of a certain race.
Not all the girls are as weak and unexperienced as you
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
215 posts, read 734,188 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
And the reason why I'm "racist" is because of experiences like these. You can't tell me if you were a young girl you wouldn't be afraid of a group of Hispanic men in baggy clothes approaching you.

And I wouldn't call myself racist, the truth just is most of them me who act this way happen to be a certain class of a certain race.
I'm a young girl (19).

Never fear someone will hit on me simply because they "happen to be a certain class of a certain race". There's always gonna be perverts of EVERY class or race. It's foolish to assume that it's ONLY the Hispanic men that do that. I've had several African American and even caucasian men (homely ones, even a couple sharp looking businessmen believe it or not) stare and/or make comments. When I rode on a subway in Philadelphia just 2 weeks ago, a young gentleman was trying to take pictures of me with his cell phone.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-26-2008 at 05:01 AM..
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
 
32 posts, read 240,784 times
Reputation: 60
Something tells me if I never mentioned race this post would have gotten a lot of sympathy. You're all a bunch of hypocrites. Every race is racist against another one for some reason or another, and if you deny ever having a racist thought I wouldn't believe you for a second.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 PM
 
1,278 posts, read 3,664,674 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
Something tells me if I never mentioned race this post would have gotten a lot of sympathy. You're all a bunch of hypocrites. Every race is racist against another one for some reason or another, and if you deny ever having a racist thought I wouldn't believe you for a second.

lol.....that's a depressing outlook on life. How did you get to be so cynical at such a young age?

Not all people are raciest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top