U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 PM
 
32 posts, read 240,784 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

I haven't been in NYC very long (originally from Nevada) but never in my life have I experienced so many creepy men who blatantly stare me up and down, say nasty sexual comments to me, call me names, etc. until I moved here. I'm a pretty attractive, young, blonde girl, which is very common where I'm from, so I assume the guys there are just used to it. But here it's just ridiculous! So is it normal for a female to have 5 foot tall Hispanic men (oh you know what I'm talking about, I see them everywhere. They're all hispanic, short, and creepy. Often seen delivering food.) on the subway staring and whispering at you? To walk past a guy on the street and have him stop and turn around and shout something at you? When I'm walking down the street and see a group of construction workers I know what's coming. I've even had a guy grab my ass on a crowded subway.

Do these men have ANY respect for women?

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-25-2008 at 06:27 AM..

 
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Mountain View, CA
47 posts, read 152,744 times
Reputation: 23
Based on what I can tell, New Yorkers tend to say what they think more than most.
 
Old 07-24-2008, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,567,264 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
I haven't been in NYC very long (originally from Nevada) but never in my life have I experienced so many creepy men who blatantly stare me up and down, say nasty sexual comments to me, call me names, etc. until I moved here. I'm a pretty attractive, young, blonde girl, which is very common where I'm from, so I assume the guys there are just used to it. But here it's just ridiculous! So is it normal for a female to have 5 foot tall Hispanic men (oh you know what I'm talking about, I see them everywhere. They're all hispanic, short, and creepy. Often seen delivering food.) on the subway staring and whispering at you? To walk past a guy on the street and have him stop and turn around and shout something at you? When I'm walking down the street and see a group of construction workers I know what's coming. I've even had a guy grab my ass on a crowded subway.

Do these men have ANY respect for women?
What, we're not used to pretty women out here? What are you trying to say? The model capital of the world isn't used to it?

You live in New York now... "Loud and obnoxious" isn't an insult to people here as much as it is a compliment. People tend to speak what they think here and not care who hears.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-25-2008 at 06:27 AM..
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,990 posts, read 6,839,531 times
Reputation: 1047
Sorry, UNLV. This is New York. Do that make it acceptable? No. But do you need to grow a back bone and get used to it? Yes. If you can't hack it, there is always Vegas...
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 PM
 
32 posts, read 240,784 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
What, we're not used to pretty women out here? What are you trying to say? The model capital of the world isn't used to it?

You live in New York now... "Loud and obnoxious" isn't an insult to people here as much as it is a compliment. People tend to speak what they think here and not care who hears.
what I meant is in Vegas platinum blonde hair/tan skin, kind of a 'socal' look is really popular and I hardly see anyone like this in NYC. The style here is totally different and maybe I stand out with my west coast style.
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 PM
 
Location: San Diego,CA
398 posts, read 1,177,145 times
Reputation: 215
But aren't Blonde and Blue eyes a minority in New York?LOL! Alot of those Mexican immigrant dudes really like blondes,I've noticed that quite a bit.hella funny! But on the real,maybe you need to holler at some Ricans and Dominicans with that New York game. Kinda help you adjust and get familiar with that New York vibe.
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 PM
 
Location: No Sleep Til Brooklyn
1,413 posts, read 4,673,300 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
I haven't been in NYC very long (originally from Nevada) but never in my life have I experienced so many creepy men who blatantly stare me up and down, say nasty sexual comments to me, call me names, etc. until I moved here. I'm a pretty attractive, young, blonde girl, which is very common where I'm from, so I assume the guys there are just used to it. But here it's just ridiculous! So is it normal for a female to have 5 foot tall Hispanic men (oh you know what I'm talking about, I see them everywhere. They're all hispanic, short, and creepy. Often seen delivering food.) on the subway staring and whispering at you? To walk past a guy on the street and have him stop and turn around and shout something at you? When I'm walking down the street and see a group of construction workers I know what's coming. I've even had a guy grab my ass on a crowded subway.

Do these men have ANY respect for women?
There is no excuse for harassment, but you are being harassed because you are a woman. Not because you are blonde. Change your body language. I used to be harassed all of the time, but I did some role-playing with a therapist and it literally changed my life in the city. You have to walk around like you will mess someone up if they mess with you.

By the way, would it be okay if the guys harassing you were tall and white?

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-25-2008 at 06:27 AM..
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 PM
 
32 posts, read 240,784 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
There is no excuse for harassment, but you are being harassed because you are a woman. Not because you are blonde. Change your body language. I used to be harassed all of the time, but I did some role-playing with a therapist and it literally changed my life in the city. You have to walk around like you will mess someone up if they mess with you.

By the way, would it be okay if the guys harassing you were tall and white?
I don't like to be harassed by anyone, regardless of race. It just so happens the ones who harass me are mostly Hispanic. The majority of the white and black men seem to be more polite and know to not act like that. A black guy told off this ugly little Hispanic man on the subway who yelled a few things at me from across the aisle.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 03:13 AM
 
1,867 posts, read 3,598,380 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
what I meant is in Vegas platinum blonde hair/tan skin, kind of a 'socal' look is really popular and I hardly see anyone like this in NYC. The style here is totally different and maybe I stand out with my west coast style.
If you mean the "vegas style" like fake boobs and low cut tops and short skirts, then yes, you can expect to receive comments like that in this city. But dont kid yourself that its because of your blonde hair or blue eyes or how pretty you are, they actually do this to almost every woman that goes by. It starts when you turn around 13 and continues on til your 40s.

Growing up my sister and I would call them the psssters.

I didn't quite get your leap to these men all living in the projects. What did that have to do with anything?
 
Old 07-25-2008, 03:25 AM
 
1,867 posts, read 3,598,380 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvstudent View Post
I don't like to be harassed by anyone, regardless of race. It just so happens the ones who harass me are mostly Hispanic. The majority of the white and black men seem to be more polite and know to not act like that. A black guy told off this ugly little Hispanic man on the subway who yelled a few things at me from across the aisle.
Does your "hispanic" include puerto ricans or do you mean Mexicans and South Americans, because in this regard I would say puerto ricans are like the white and black men you mention (and the immigrants' kids that grow up here dont seem to do that either -- American versus foreign born). Actually if you have a juicy round ass you will get comments from some people in those groups too, they're just more picky lol.

I hope this isn't considered a personal attack, but being so openly biased against an entire group, whether or not you've had individual issues with people in these groups, sort of sheds you in a negative light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top