U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 PM

82 posts, read 276,327 times

Advertisements

OK as a relative newcomer to NYC i have been reading this city-data forum for much longer than i have been resident here and i have noticed all of the complaints about "yuppies" moving to the hood and taking it over.

I'm black by the way and am one of those hated "yuppies". when I finish grad school have NO intention of ever living in any of the traditionally black lower class hoods, even if the thugs living there are now white gangstas.

I couldnt help but think of the irony. What you have is the inner city becoming more white and the suburbs seeing more minority residents.

So one has to ask the question: Are blacks fleeing to the burbs to excape the white inner-city onslaught.

damn, there goes the hood (just had to add that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 AM

541 posts, read 1,671,641 times
Something that I have always found amusing about the whole "yuppie" and "gentrification" complaints is that they seem to ignore that it is reverse "white flight". White flight was blamed for the demise of city neighborhoods and now that there is a "white flight" from the suburbs back to the city neighborhoods it is once again the blame for the demise the same city neighborhoods. Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:40 AM

398 posts, read 1,178,719 times
I think what alot of people are scared to say is that, Alot of white people with BIG money,like to come in and pretty much take ownership on whatever they like. I guess I can kinda see it clearly when people say that.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 AM

841 posts, read 3,932,757 times
Yuppies dont have to be necessarily white. They can be of any color, as long as they have a degree and decent job. They're just regular people. But there are obnoxious ones, just like theres obnoxious people Everywhere. Sooner or later, NYC and America is going to balance itself out and the only color that matters is green

Old 07-25-2008, 04:56 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,759,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Yuppies dont have to be necessarily white. They can be of any color, as long as they have a degree and decent job. They're just regular people. But there are obnoxious ones, just like theres obnoxious people Everywhere. Sooner or later, NYC and America is going to balance itself out and the only color that matters is green
This is just what I've always said! The problem is that our friendly local media isn't happy unless they can make everything a white vs. black issue.

Also, and please pardon my grammatical nitpicking, the word is "escape," not excape.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 AM

878 posts, read 2,494,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
OK as a relative newcomer to NYC i have been reading this city-data forum for much longer than i have been resident here and i have noticed all of the complaints about "yuppies" moving to the hood and taking it over.

I'm black by the way and am one of those hated "yuppies". when I finish grad school have NO intention of ever living in any of the traditionally black lower class hoods, even if the thugs living there are now white gangstas.

I couldnt help but think of the irony. What you have is the inner city becoming more white and the suburbs seeing more minority residents.

So one has to ask the question: Are blacks fleeing to the burbs to excape the white inner-city onslaught.

There is no black flight out of the city, at least not what "flight" traditionally means. No one is knocking on doors and scaring people into believing their property values are going down, their educational system is going to the pits, crime is one the raise and they need to get out when the getting is good. Blacks moving out of traditionally Black neighborhoods or "black low class hoods" is due to peope being unable to afford the rents that are being asked.

I have yet heard anyone complain about White people moving into the neighborhood per se. The complaint is that people are being priced out of the neighborhoods and some of the traditional stores closing down due to newer residents not frequenting them. Also, people get offended when people come in and look down on them or their neighborhood, which is more of a yuppie thing then a Black or White thing. Personally, I have lived around Black yuppies and have no desire to repeat that experience.

Also, people with money have always lived in the "hood", not necessarily yuppies but people with money. The difference is that they wanted to live in the area and was not trying to make it over into something that is just for them or people in their income level. This is not about crime, drug dealing or any of those things that people like to identify with the "hood", as those things are not as prevelant as some people would like to believe. Those things tend to occur in hot spots but not all over the neighborhood, at least from what I have seen and I have lived for many years in the " black lower class hoods".

So to answer your question, there is no Black flight to escape newer White residents.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 AM

473 posts, read 1,514,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
.....Also, and please pardon my grammatical nitpicking, the word is "escape," not excape....
May the Lord bless you however, that's nothing compared to the frequency at which "different than" is used here. Ugghhhh.....

I really don't think "yupsters" (yuppies/histers), all meet up in wisconsin/nevada/dakota and go, hey guy/girls, let's move to bushwick and "take it over". Also, since you're in "grad school", I hope you're aware of "Minority" not being a race and simply being a percentage. Those moving, do so, probably to escape the high rents for a more convenient and an over all better lifestyle. What about those blacks moving from predominantly black and hispanic "non gentrified" areas like the North Bronx? What are they fleeing? The smell of jerk chicken?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,835,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
There is no black flight out of the city, at least not what "flight" traditionally means. No one is knocking on doors and scaring people into believing their property values are going down, their educational system is going to the pits, crime is one the raise and they need to get out when the getting is good. Blacks moving out of traditionally Black neighborhoods or "black low class hoods" is due to peope being unable to afford the rents that are being asked.

I have yet heard anyone complain about White people moving into the neighborhood per se. The complaint is that people are being priced out of the neighborhoods and some of the traditional stores closing down due to newer residents not frequenting them. Also, people get offended when people come in and look down on them or their neighborhood, which is more of a yuppie thing then a Black or White thing. Personally, I have lived around Black yuppies and have no desire to repeat that experience.

Also, people with money have always lived in the "hood", not necessarily yuppies but people with money. The difference is that they wanted to live in the area and was not trying to make it over into something that is just for them or people in their income level. This is not about crime, drug dealing or any of those things that people like to identify with the "hood", as those things are not as prevelant as some people would like to believe. Those things tend to occur in hot spots but not all over the neighborhood, at least from what I have seen and I have lived for many years in the " black lower class hoods".

So to answer your question, there is no Black flight to escape newer White residents.
Beautifully written.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM

9,836 posts, read 21,543,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post

No I think its more of an economic issue. Black people have been leaving NYC for some time now, seeking better economic opportunities in the South and Midwest, mostly the South.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 PM

473 posts, read 1,514,300 times
[/i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
well, if i'm ever missing, you know what the deal is..i didn't go to vegas.
lol Vegas is fine to visit

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-25-2008 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Calling out mod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City