Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 AM

295 posts, read 1,504,501 times

Advertisements

http://schools.nyc.gov/

Go here to find out about High school admissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,419 times
Thank you generous souls all for your help. Given that school starts in less than a month, and husband is not 100% sure he wants to take the job, I'm enrolling the children to continue schooling in California, move December at the earliest, otherwise over summer 2009. Although husband commuting for a year sounds like a hellish lifestyle and he was wanting to see more of his kids than the last job, I think this is the pretty much unavoidable downside to getting a job offer in August when you have four school aged children.

Viralmd--thanks for your response. It may well be that we would be better off in the suburbs--and you are helping me find out.

Stuyvesant is a #1 in the nation school--it is not realistic to assume I can get my oldest in there, even if they enroll any new residents off the new resident SHSAT in August. It is possible she could place in one of the other test-in schools. possible. But it sounds like I couldn't count on all eight of those schools being good places?

Husband's new office would be near Grand Central Station--hence his attraction to Scarsdale for an easy commute.

bmwguydc--thanks for suggesting some other neighborhoods to consider. Husband has offered me every weekend in the city at a bed and breakfast with the kids, for avoiding the 8% city income tax alone--however, it is the actual living in the city that attracts me, walking around on foot, buying food at the farmer's market on the weekend, having fewer possessions in our living space. And it would be more like moving to Belgium than moving to...Scarsdale.

UpsonDowns--thanks for suggesting the Hudson Valley towns, and insideschools.org. good to hear I'm right in suspecting I wouldn't be happy in Scarsdale.

Otis_Nevins. Yes, i can afford a million+ on an apartment. If I stay here in California, I can buy a house 1.5 to 2 million, so I figure I can buy an apartment (if you buy it, isn't it a condo?) for 1M, possibly 1.5M, figuring there are condo fees and possibly tuition to take into account.

znycgirl--that's a very telling detail that the teens you know who lived in Manhatten went to private schools, and your co-workers live in the burbs or have their kids in private school You are absolutely right that schools are THE issue for our family.

Private Schools--perhaps I can ante up for the high schooler at least--but I would think private schools have usually closed enrollment this close to September.

We could do three bedrooms by putting three children in one room as we did when my mother-in-law was staying with us. But we'd be more comfortable in four bedrooms. I am counting on my husband not needing a full home office if we in the city where he works. Right now we live in 4 bedrooms, 1500 sq.feet. Neighborhood here allows me to walk/bicycle to grocery, pharmacy, doctors, video store, some restaurants, parks, and I do that now and love that.

I'm not tied to Manhatten--for example, I've heard Park Slope Brooklyn is a neighborhood for families. Though the commute from Park Slope to Grand Central might actually be longer than Scarsdale to Grand Central. I've bought some time to research by putting off the move.

And, noelcdl59, congrats on having such a talented and dedicated kid. I probably should have started my own OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City