U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 PM

14 posts, read 47,798 times

Advertisements

Moving to NYC and would like some advice on safe and fun areas to live in the city with a female high schooler. Can spend $2800-$3800 for an apt and have two dogs. High school location near Lincoln Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 05:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,738,884 times
Teen area? The entire city is a teen area.

Having dogs will severely restrict your possibilities. How near do you have to be to Lincoln Center? What about your own work?

Having a daughter at La Guardia and you wanting to study at Stony Brook is going to be tough!

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-26-2008 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-26-2008, 06:41 AM

1,413 posts, read 4,674,469 times
It sounds like you are moving to attend La Guardia. I tutored a student who went there and it would be best if you stayed in the area so you won't have to travel far for all of your rehearsals and you'll be close to resources like the performing arts library. But if I was a teen moving to the city, I would probably want to live in the East Village or Lower East Side. But it depends on what you are into. Are you a musical baby? Emo? Punk? Hip Hop?

Old 07-26-2008, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,788 times
I'm thinking about moving to NYC rather than a suburb like Scarsdale. I've lived in California all my life other than a brief stint in Cleveland. I have four children, and the oldest is going to start high school in September. I'm a SAHM and my husband was offered a good job in the city. Am I crazy that I'd like us to all live in the city? I'm trying also to figure out if I can get my kids into safe positive schools--elementary, middle, and the highschooler. I could spend $6K/month on an apartment.

I'm gathering if we move quickly and establish residency, my oldest child could take the new resident version of the public high school screen test (SHSAT?). I don't know if that would get her in, though she's been doing honors work in middle school out here.

Moving to NY to live in a suburb would be easier, but sounds pointless. Especially if we get stuck staying out there, instead of coming back to the San Francisco Bay area in a couple years.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 PM

Honestly, you're not being realistic.

Few decent middle schools exist, at least in Manhattan - which is where I'm assuming you want to live. And as for high schools, unless it's Stuyvesant, Hunter or Bronx Science, they're dicey too.

Private schools START at $20,000/year for kindergarten and are about $30,000 for middle and high school. And that doesn't include books and uniforms. And there's testing for the schools, interviews, etc.

Apartments with enough bedrooms in districts with decent primary grades...Hmmm $6K/month rent would get you MAYBE three bedrooms.

You're better off in the suburbs.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:50 PM

10,754 posts, read 25,537,232 times
Yes, with four children, the likelihood of finding a big enough place for $6k a month is going to be tough, virtually impossible in Manhattan, and possible in an outer borough such as Forest Hills Gardens, Queens or Riverdale, Bronx, but even there it would likely be three bedrooms, rarely a small four bedroom. And, even in excellent outer borough neighborhoods, the question of the schools is not that easily solved.

I also suggest looking into a suburb, especially Westchester, but you need not settle on Scarsdale, if it does not meet your needs. There are some excellent communities that might be a better fit for your family. There are water towns in Pelham, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, and Rye, on Long Island Sound. In central southern Westchester, you have Bronxville, and on the Hudson you have Irvington and Croton. Many more districts in Westchester have a reputation for excellence, and you are guaranteed neighborhood schools. You can find a good fit for your lifestyle, have a reasonable commute to the city in a vibrant local community, and not feel as though you're in the hinterlands of suburbia. Plus, if you are close to the city in lower Westchester, you can easily take advantage of all the city has to offer.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,674,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoMom View Post
I'm thinking about moving to NYC rather than a suburb like Scarsdale. I've lived in California all my life other than a brief stint in Cleveland. I have four children, and the oldest is going to start high school in September. I'm a SAHM and my husband was offered a good job in the city. Am I crazy that I'd like us to all live in the city? I'm trying also to figure out if I can get my kids into safe positive schools--elementary, middle, and the highschooler. I could spend $6K/month on an apartment.

I'm gathering if we move quickly and establish residency, my oldest child could take the new resident version of the public high school screen test (SHSAT?). I don't know if that would get her in, though she's been doing honors work in middle school out here.

Moving to NY to live in a suburb would be easier, but sounds pointless. Especially if we get stuck staying out there, instead of coming back to the San Francisco Bay area in a couple years.
As someone who was born and raised in NorCal, I feel safe saying that you would HATE Scarsdale. If I were you, I would check out some of the Hudson Valley towns. I think Nyack would be a good choice, except that it is not on the train lines into the City. Beacon is a bit far for a daily commute, but it has more of that NorCal attitude than some of the towns that are closer in.

Then again, I think you can find a place in the City - the people on this board tend to be too gloomy. Check out insideschools.org for school recommendations. Do all of the kids have to have their own rooms or do you have some of the same gender that can double up?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:18 PM

217 posts, read 816,765 times
If you can afford $6k, buy something in Manhattan. You can afford (based on the $6k figure) more than $1 million for an apartment. The folks in Tri-Bec-A (lower Manhattan area) will be your friends and you're near the Styvasant school (if your kids can get in, it's the right place).

Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 PM

One million dollars won't buy an apartment nearly large enough for this crew. Even with shared bedrooms.

And Stuyvesant is done with admissions for the year.

When are you planning to move and where in Manhattan is your husband working? That will also help determine where you might like to live.

I have experience with schools in Manhattan...believe me, there really are few, if any, decent middle schools. And, except for Stuyvesant, Bronx Science (not in Manhattan, obviously) and maybe Hunter (another high school with competitive admission by exam).

There are many nice places aside from Scarsdale. And not too far from Manhattan, too.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 AM

295 posts, read 1,331,526 times
Default 2 moms

Noel: Congrats! Sounds like your kid made it!!! All areas should be fine. Your commute will be a nightmare if you really are going to go out to Stony Brook...but maybe it's not everyday?

PaloAlto: No way will it be simple to get your kids into a specialized High School. I'd venture to say even performing Honors will not assure that you are learning/know what they test you on. There are review courses by Kaplan for these tests...think college admissions... and it's a free education. Hunter High school is a bit different...if they are still the same, the test is for admission in the middle of Middle school...7th grade. Unless your kid is starting next year or later, you are too late. Then...you would have to realistically decide what commute your kid can handle.

Not sure about the admission process to the other High schools...when I was applying for HS...they would admit you in the Spring of your last year of middle school (think college) based on your grades to your top picks (if you made it). Otherwise...you go to your zoned school. These can be pretty rough....but I can't speak for the ones in Manhattan. To tell you the truth...all the teens I knew who lived in Manhattan went to private school. All my co-workers either live in the burbs...or private school for their teens.

I think you could maybe find something in NYC if you wanted to...the schools are going to be your major issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City