U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,702,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
How do they get along
Generally La Cosa Nostra will only do business with people they could trust. The Albanians they don't trust, so their rivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Are there any Mafias in any of the five boroughs? And if so, are they still a force? Like do they commit alot of murders and crime?
They are still in the five boroughs and have a lot of clout against struggling businessmen who need a loanshark. Crime is now shadowed, so that the home grown boys and the "Zips" can work without harrassment from the law. Their power is slowly growing due to agents working more on terrorism. They murder less now. The Genoveses nearly murdered their Associate, Peter Caporino when he ratted people out, but in the end it was probably the Genoveses who ratted Caporino out. The old saying goes, "Why bother killing a rat when he has already caused the damage?".

Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 AM

2,541 posts, read 10,188,047 times
Does the mafia still recruit soldiers born and raised in the USA

Like are they still recruiting kids that were born after 1980 and grew up in either NJ, LI, or any white neighborhood in NYC, or do they only get their soldatos from southern italy now

Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Does the mafia still recruit soldiers born and raised in the USA. Like are they still recruiting kids that were born after 1980 and grew up in either NJ, LI, or any white neighborhood in NYC, or do they only get their soldatos from southern italy now
They are still recruiting home grown boys, but the number has shrunk as they want to be doctors, lawyers etc. The Colombo Family still has a major resource, but all men will look at their sons for future members. They still recruit from Sicily and Italy, as these men have the discipline and respect. But the FBI reckins there could be another major war with the US nationals and the foreigners, just like in the 1930-1931 Castellammerese War.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 AM

2,541 posts, read 10,188,047 times
Where is the homegrown talent coming from, and are they italian

Old 08-01-2008, 02:35 AM

The homegrown talent is US itself, they are Italian as well as white, african american and jewish.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:37 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,601,371 times
why do you care? The mob is not a good thing for any society, am I correct?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 5,918,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
why do you care? The mob is not a good thing for any society, am I correct?
I was think the same thing, but refused to mention it becuase it might disturb the peace. Anyhow...

...many who are interested in the world of the American Mafia are more of the enthusiast type, as opposed to let's say having an interest in street gangs, who the bulk of those interested in that group tend to be wannabes or trying to figure out who and what they are and how to stop/reform them. It's also the mysticism behind how the mob works and gained strong influential connections plus the obvious Hollywood glamorization. I don't mean any malice towards Movie Maker and his/her knowledge of the American mob. Just my take on why so many are interested in that specific criminal group.

Now some questions:

1)What else do you know about organized crime? Are you only limited to the American Mafia? What's your take on the rise of "new" ethnic organized crime, specifically in New York City. Do you know anything about Chinese organized crime? Dominican? Israeli? Jamaican? In short, non-European(west or east) or those who usually make it somewhere in the news(Colombian, Russian and now the Albanians).

2)Does the modern American Mafia have any ventures outside the States?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
many who are interested in the world of the American Mafia are more of the enthusiast type
I am fascinated by the Mafia and how a group of immigrants can make it so big in so short a time. I, however, am a British entrepaneur and seeing how the Mafia fared made me realise I too could do things. And no I'm not in illegal rackets or drugs. I made money for years and put it in legal investments.

Quote:
Are you only limited to the American Mafia?
I know more then La Cosa Nostra.

Quote:
What's your take on the rise of "new" ethnic organized crime, specifically in New York City.
New crime groups are doing very well. The Albanians in New York are slowly taking over La Cosa Nostras Five Families. The new groups can be very violent.

Quote:
Do you know anything about Chinese organized crime? Dominican? Israeli? Jamaican?
Chinese and Jamaican only.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 AM

1,121 posts, read 5,918,062 times
^^^Screwed up your name in my post, sorry. Do you happen to know about them setting up shop in foreign nations(3rd world due to lax enforcement)? Are you familiar with the Havana Conference? I know it was a meeting between the American and "mainland" Mafia, but what was the whole point behind it?^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City