U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:05 PM

39 posts, read 213,108 times

Advertisements

I will be coming to NY next week to look for an apartment. I saw an ad on Craigslist for an apartment around the area of 2135 Wallace Ave in Pelham Parkway. I also saw and ad for an apartment on 2685 Creston (I think between 196 & 198th). Please give me your opinons on these areas. I am going to go myself when I get there but I just wanted to get an idea.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 02:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
YOu can get a preview on Google maps street view.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:22 PM

19,084 posts, read 32,655,211 times
i would say the wallace avenue address is safer than the creston avenue location in terms of crime. the walllace avenue building is also a few blocks away from the 2/5 train at pelham parkway and the 5 train at morris park, so transportation is convenient.

transportation for the creston avenue address is also convenient, the B/D train and 4 train stop at kingsbridge road about 2 blocks away.

however, the one big issue i researched is that the wallace avenue building has 129 HPD violations, while the creston avenue address only had 2. the creston avenue address may be the cleaner and more well-maintained building.

please report back to us!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I know when I talked to the people at the Wallace address, they said that the actual apartment building was like a block away. We shall see how things go when I get there. The apartment on Creston would be clsoer to my job. I think it is a co-op building and the company couldn't sell the apartment, so they are renting it out.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:14 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,193,948 times
Creston avenue is one of the most notorious street names in the Bronx. You're location near Bedford park BLVD isn't as bad as Creston below it but it has more crime than Wallace avenue. I would go with Wallace avenue personally.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,524,856 times
Default I would think the Wallace Ave address..

is much safer than Creston and 198th. I'm surprised that a co-op blg is over there as i always saw that section as being very run down. Maybe it's not as bad who knows. I think I read that Creston and 196th was a big drug sales corner9or was it Morris?)

Old 07-26-2008, 11:04 PM

19,084 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Creston avenue is one of the most notorious street names in the Bronx. You're location near Bedford park BLVD isn't as bad as Creston below it but it has more crime than Wallace avenue. I would go with Wallace avenue personally.
i had no idea creston was that bad. i used to chill on 184 and creston until i started telling people i hung out there and they was like

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am just trying to find the safest place possible in my budget. I am from a small country town and my family has it in their head that I am going to get robbed and thrown in an alley (really their words). They have heard that the Bronx is one big ghetto and it's "grimy". I am not one to live my life in fear, but I don't want them calling me everyday hysterical. They also think that I shouldn't live in the Bronx because I will be working as an ADA there and they feel the peoplethat I would be prosecuting could just walk to my house and find me. Which my belief is that NY isn't so big that if I moved to another burrough it would be a big inconvenience to come find me. Anyway I think I just wanted to vent, as I am currently studying for the bar exam and about to lose my mind. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:38 AM

5,503 posts, read 17,193,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i had no idea creston was that bad. i used to chill on 184 and creston until i started telling people i hung out there and they was like
Yeah....I was curious about street reputation so I asked 12 people who were either family or friend ...

"what do they cosider to be worse Creston or Valentine?"

And all 12 responded with Creston.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,524,856 times
Default If you're from a small town...

I don't see Creston between 196th and 198th as being a place where anyone, man or woman would feel comfortable. I remember back in the 80's I was taking a "shortcut", ended up on Morris Avenue between Kingsbridge rd and 196th street, stuck there for almost 30 minutes behind a garbage truck and i had no choice but to see the street life there. It didn't look good. Since then i have seen the surrouding blocks and while they do look better and cleaner than farther down on Creston, it doesn't have a safe aura about it. I knew a guy who grew up in the Bronx River Houses and was looking for his own apartment. He showed me a listing for a place on 196th and Jerome Ave and he said he could not live there since it was a bad area.

Even though the Wallace Ave area has certainly changed, IMO it still is a safer place to be than Creston and 198th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City