U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:12 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,452,686 times

Advertisements

Funny that there should be a debate about the bus routes; just look at the map! The M4 will take you from UES directly to Columbia. Or, you can also take advantage of the free subway-to-bus transfer on your Metrocard--4,5,6 trains to 125 Street and pick up the M60, which will drop you off at the Columbia campus on Broadway just like the M4 from Madison Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,725,296 times
You could take 4/5 to 125th and then transfer to the M60, I didn't think of that, probably b/c I think riding the M60 down 125th street is miserable. The busses are usually slow and crowded. The M4 is better, but it just depends on where the OP is living in the UES.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 5,986,129 times
The M60 stops on 106th and Bway almost 10 blocks from Columbia. Not that far, but the OP should be aware of this. The M4 does stop right in front of the campus. It turns on Bway and W110th and goes straight up Bway all the way to Washington Heights.
I know because I live near the Columbia campus.

I would also recommend trying to get an apt in Morningside Heights you can walk to the campus. There are plenty of restaurants. You are close to 3 parks, Riverside, Morningside, and Central Park. There are a lot of Columbia students in the area.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 AM

The M60 stops directly in front of Columbia on both sides.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 5,986,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
The M60 stops directly in front of Columbia on both sides.
I stand corrected you are right.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,452,686 times
And if worse came to worse (which will occasionally happen in a city this size) you could even take the M96 bus on 96 Street crosstown to Broadway, and pick up the M104, which will also drop you off right in front of Columbia.

Alternatively, a place on the Upper West Side would be even more convenient, since there would be direct access to the subway in addition to bus lines.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,456,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

Alternatively, a place on the Upper West Side would be even more convenient, since there would be direct access to the subway in addition to bus lines.
Exactly what I suggested in the beginning!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:37 PM

19,434 posts, read 34,496,858 times
Quote:
You are wrong, look at a crime statistic map from 2007. UWS is safer than the UES.

And the advice you gave on the M4 was wrong. To the OP: you can easily take the M4 directly to Columbia via Madison ave, via Broadway.
thats interesting....can you point me in the way of some links for these stats? its shocking that arguably the toniest neighborhood in the city has a higher crime rate than the neighborhood directly across the park. what do u think contributes to the crime on the upper east side?

when we say upper east side, we mean
north - 96 st
south - 59 st
east - east river
west - central park?

just to be clear. and upper west side is:
north - cathedral pkwy (110 st)
south - 59 st
east - central park
west - hudson river

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Check this out http://media.nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf

UES has a higher amount of crime than UWS and an equal amount of crime when compared to Morningside and Washington Heights. Also check out the Harlem area above central Harlem and compare it with the UES stats.

The UES is safe compared to some areas, but for this thread the OP is choosing a neighborhood for safety, and he is going to Columbia. If he can afford the UES, then he needs to look at the UWS too.

I think the proximity to East Harlem contributes to the crime, And the fact that the UES is deserted at night, have you walk around there lately?? It's not a very happening place.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:29 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,767,144 times
Quote:
Check this out http://media.nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf

UES has a higher amount of crime than UWS and an equal amount of crime when compared to Morningside and Washington Heights. Also check out the Harlem area above central Harlem and compare it with the UES stats.

The UES is safe compared to some areas, but for this thread the OP is choosing a neighborhood for safety, and he is going to Columbia. If he can afford the UES, then he needs to look at the UWS too.

I think the proximity to East Harlem contributes to the crime, And the fact that the UES is deserted at night, have you walk around there lately?? It's not a very happening place.
I found myself unexpected alone on the UES at night a few times in the last few months and I was shocked by how deserted it is. I definitely felt more vulnerable than I do at night in Washington Heights. On the UES there would be no one to flag down or a store to duck into if a situation came up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City