U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,681,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I found myself unexpected alone on the UES at night a few times in the last few months and I was shocked by how deserted it is. I definitely felt more vulnerable than I do at night in Washington Heights. On the UES there would be no one to flag down or a store to duck into if a situation came up.

Agreed UpsonDowns the UES is not the best place to be walking around late at night alone, b/c there is noone around and all of the stores are closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM

35 posts, read 125,702 times
Hi there. I know this is a late post but I decided to write my own insight. I was a grad student for 2 years at Columbia University and lived the whole time on the Upper East Side (80s and First Ave). It all depends where on the UES you are. But I found out (after trying different ways) that the best option is to take the crosstown bus (79th, 86th or 96th street, depending where you are) all the way to Broadway, and then switching to the number 1 train. From door to door it took me around 40 minutes. Sometimes less when I got the bus and the subway right away. But it rarely went over 50 minutes. The 96th bus is the slowest and come less frequent than other buses.

I always found the area between the 70s and 90s pretty safe at night. I would say above 90s is a little bit more shady and yes, not as many stores opened. But around 80s there are a ton of bars and restaurants open and I felt pretty much safe.

Also, in rare occasions I took a cab back home (when it was 2am and I was at the library and wanted to be safe going back home alone) and it cost a total of $13 with tip (from Columbia to 80th and First). Just in case you want to know. I hope this helps.

Last edited by nycbra; 01-12-2009 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: adding something else

Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM

1,276 posts, read 2,681,589 times
Do you think thats better than getting off the crosstown bus at madison and taking the M4 all of the way to columbia?? Cross town buses are SO slow sometimes.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 PM

35 posts, read 125,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Do you think thats better than getting off the crosstown bus at madison and taking the M4 all of the way to columbia?? Cross town buses are SO slow sometimes.
Yes, it's better. The worst part of the crosstown bus is actually between First and Lexington. Once you are past Lexington, it goes pretty fast.
With the exception of the 79th bus. A couple of times there was a crowded line of school buses trying to get in the parking station at the National History Museum.
But again, switching to the subway is faster than taking the bus uptown, UNLESS you will be doing the crosstown around 110th Street. In this case I would suggest just walking once you cross East-West.

I just went to Columbia last week to meet someone and I took the M86 at First Avenue and it took me a total of 35 minutes from the time I got into the bus to the time I got off the subway at Columbia University.

The bus can be slow but if you are a student it is a perfect time for reading. I used to read the newspapers on the way to Columbia, and I did some reading for classes on the way back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City