U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,299 times

Advertisements

Hello my soon to be fellow new yorkers!

I am a Columbia student and am currently looking for an apartment in NYC. I found many that I like in the Upper East Side. However, I'm worried that I won't be able to get class on time since, I have to take a long ride to and from the school. I will be having a schedule approximately from 10AM-9PM.

Does anyone know how to get to Columbia from the upper east side by subway and/or bus? Also, is it quite difficult? How long would it take?

Also, how safe in the upper east side?

Thanks so much and appreciate any and all responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 05:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,738,884 times
The upper East side, as a rule, is exceptionally safe.

Getting to the Columbia campus isn't GREAT, but it isn't awful, if you leave yourself enough time: the number 4 Madison Avenue bus goes right across 110th St and you can walk from there. Other than that it'd be a bus crosstown and a subway or bus up.

Overall it's easier from the West side.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,665,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The upper East side, as a rule, is exceptionally safe.

Getting to the Columbia campus isn't GREAT, but it isn't awful, if you leave yourself enough time: the number 4 Madison Avenue bus goes right across 110th St and you can walk from there. Other than that it'd be a bus crosstown and a subway or bus up.

Overall it's easier from the West side.

Why is the Upper East Side "as a rule" very safe. If you look at a crime statistic map from last year UES was equivalent to parts of Harlem and you tell people on here Harlem is not safe.

And why would the OP take the M4 bus to 110th and "walk from there" when the M4 bus drops you off at the door step of Columbia?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,299 times
Oh! So, the M4 bus stops right in front of Columbia? That would be a God-send if it were true.

So, the Upper East Side is not as safe as everyone says?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 AM

It's VERY safe, but you always get the odd thing occurring here or there. I think before you generalize, it'd be good to see for yourself.

The #4 bus doesn't stop right in front of Columbia, but close enough for you to walk.

A trip to NYC would be a big help for you.

If it were I who was going to Columbia (the downtown campus - the medical school, which I went to, is considered the uptown campus), I'd live on the West side. MUCH easier.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It's VERY safe, but you always get the odd thing occurring here or there. I think before you generalize, it'd be good to see for yourself.

The #4 bus doesn't stop right in front of Columbia, but close enough for you to walk.

A trip to NYC would be a big help for you.

If it were I who was going to Columbia (the downtown campus - the medical school, which I went to, is considered the uptown campus), I'd live on the West side. MUCH easier.

The M4 bus stops directly in front of Columbia at 116th and Broadway, you would never need to get off at 110th and walk.

Viralmd-have you ridden the M4 lately, cause I ride it everyday.

Catching the M4 bus on Madison is easy. The UES is safer than some areas, but I dont understand why people on here act like its the safest area of town cause its not. The upper west side is though, If you can afford to live on the Upper East Side and you are attending Columbia and you want "exceptionally safe", I would look on the Upper West Side.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 AM

I've not been on the M4 lately - and I used to take it to the medical center at 168th. Didn't pay much attention between.

I don't agree that the UWS is any safer than the UES. I've lived in both areas and I don't see any difference, at least at the present.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I've not been on the M4 lately - and I used to take it to the medical center at 168th. Didn't pay much attention between.

I don't agree that the UWS is any safer than the UES. I've lived in both areas and I don't see any difference, at least at the present.

You are wrong, look at a crime statistic map from 2007. UWS is safer than the UES.

And the advice you gave on the M4 was wrong. To the OP: you can easily take the M4 directly to Columbia via Madison ave, via Broadway.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:42 AM

Statistics are all well and good. I was mugged twice when I lived on the UWS a few years back. Never mugged on the UES.

And, yes, I saw that I was in error re: the M4. .

Old 07-27-2008, 09:44 AM

lol......just b/c you were mugged on the UWS and not the UES, really has no relevance as to which area is safer. If someone was mugged in Soho and not in East Harlem does Soho become less safe than East Harlem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City