U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM

9,670 posts, read 16,847,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Maybe because it's more suburban in appearance, but Rosedale seems a lot nicer than Canarsie.
u think so? to me its the same thing, except rosedale doesnt have any projects. i think cirme is jsut about even for those 2 neighborhoods.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhog1 View Post
canarsie has become a slum with big time gang activity. I moved from there a few years ago. consider bergen beach or mill basin if possible.
i would stay far away from canarsie.
a slum? geez....so what do you consider east new york then? canarsie is nowhere near a ghetto.....maybe because one demographic moved out, and another moved in, maybe thats why you feel that way. but canarsie is nowhere near a slum.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 15,312 times
to seventhfloor:
yes canarsie is a slum maybe a step above east new york...years ago canarsie was a nice place to grow up.... if it's so nice why are they closing the high schools?? south shore and canarsie high have become dangerous and underachieving. if you feel it's such a nice place to live, then you're very welcome to move there... good luck....
ave. L. in the e. 90's is disgusting looking.... i have friends that still live there and the gangs have taken over.. she has been approached numerous times by members of the Bloods gang, it's filthy and run down.... flatlands ave in the 80's have had their share of trouble in the past few years and the e. 100's bordered by flatlands ave and pennsylvania ave were changing in the 90's...i sold my home in georgetown 5 years ago when my neighbors became gang members.... if you feel these are nice areas, well then it's nice to see the world through rose colored glasses i guess......

Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,351,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
canarsie is the brooklyn version of rosedale to me. its an average working class, predominantly west-indian american neighborhood. mostly detached 1 family houses, a few apartment buildings. to the the neighborhood is good, i would just stay away from breukelen houses, bayview houses, flatlands and east 80th, avenue L in the 90s, glenwood houses which is the border of east flatbush and canarsie. those are the only trouble spots in my opinion.

you might also want to look into georgetown, which is a lesser known brooklyn neighborhood which is right next door to canarsie, and is safer. not to say that canarsie is necessarily bad.

georgetown is bordered to the west by ralph avenue, the south by avenue n, and to the north and east by bergen avenue.

I would agree with this post out of all the others in the thread. My family has lived in Canarsie since 1992, at the beginning of the white flight episode in the area. I have been a bit letdown as to home much the area has changed- specifically Ave L itself (the closed down movie theater and an increase of churches that look like stores and secondly the increase of condominiums). There have always been young kids hanging out at the corner stores and such- thankfully there are not many in the area. The only thing that has changed is their race.
I'm sure crime has went up a bit since 16 years ago, but it is still a decent area. Those who call it a slum must not drive around the Paerdegat area or past Rockaway Pkwy in the high 90s/low 100s. MY sister went to the local Catholic school. Most of the families at that school were 2 parents & children households that have mortgage and cars. On my parent's block 2 people own $70,000 MBs and someone else has a high end Jag. These people are not gang affiliated or drug dealers either. I'm not proclaiming it's Bergen Beach or anything but it isn't a slum.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhog1 View Post
to seventhfloor:
yes canarsie is a slum maybe a step above east new york...years ago canarsie was a nice place to grow up.... if it's so nice why are they closing the high schools?? south shore and canarsie high have become dangerous and underachieving. if you feel it's such a nice place to live, then you're very welcome to move there... good luck....
ave. L. in the e. 90's is disgusting looking.... i have friends that still live there and the gangs have taken over.. she has been approached numerous times by members of the Bloods gang, it's filthy and run down.... flatlands ave in the 80's have had their share of trouble in the past few years and the e. 100's bordered by flatlands ave and pennsylvania ave were changing in the 90's...i sold my home in georgetown 5 years ago when my neighbors became gang members.... if you feel these are nice areas, well then it's nice to see the world through rose colored glasses i guess......
i have to disagree. i've been to canarsie numerous times, its a part of brooklyn i'm very familiar with, i have friends and family there, and i just dont see the slum that you see. granted the neighborhood quality has gone down in the past 20 years, but it is definitely not a slum.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:30 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,478 times
Canarsie a SLUM !!
It is far from a slum. Come on now, thats exaggeration.

I'd rather live in Canarsie than live in East NY or Brownsville (no offense).
Canarsie is a big neighborhood, and theres lots of sections/parts to choose to live.
The Canarsie by the Seaview area doesn't even look like a typical Brooklyn area, its like a mini LI suburb down there. The 100's, 90's, 80's are just 1-2 family houses.

I'd say the Canarsie area surrounded by the Breuklyn houses is more of a "hot" area. I use to live one block down from there.
All other places are just house after house after house. Its just a middle class black neighborhood.

I lived in Canarsie for 7 yrs. The neighborhood has changed (in my opinion), but it is not a slum. Theres hardly any blight in Canarsie as much as E NY.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 AM

317 posts, read 702,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
My family has lived in Canarsie since 1992, at the beginning of the white flight episode in the area
The "white flight" started much earlier than that. My husband grew up there in the 60's when it was a lot of Italians there (I don't know what street). They had a big, detached one-family house with a backyard and trees. From his descriptions, the neighborhood was definitely middle class. White flight began in the mid- to late 70's when the Italians and others became more prosperous and moved out; many of them sold their houses to blacks, and the neighbors left behind didn't like that. The blacks were a little poorer, and the area started becoming more crime-ridden. More middle class whites left and more poor minorities moved in. So, if the neighborhood has declined into a "ghetto" with gangs, it's been a process happening over the last twenty-five to thirty years. Before that it was like the 'burbs. My husband's family says you wouldn't recognize the old neighborhood today.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,285 times
I live in canarsie next to rockaway parkway, and its not that good. Across the street are roudy neighbors that play music until 2 am (and its not just me, it happens to everyone in canarsie). I never got mugged in canarsie but theres been one break in attempt, and in the night you always hear police sirens.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,512 times
my friend and I were chased through the park for 20 minutes after our baseball hit a guy's car accidentally. be warned about that.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daomand View Post
I live in canarsie next to rockaway parkway, and its not that good. Across the street are roudy neighbors that play music until 2 am (and its not just me, it happens to everyone in canarsie). I never got mugged in canarsie but theres been one break in attempt, and in the night you always hear police sirens.
nobody's saying canarsie a great neighborhood....but its an ok one, and average for brooklyn standards.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City