U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:41 PM

151 posts, read 635,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daomand View Post
I live in canarsie next to rockaway parkway, and its not that good. Across the street are roudy neighbors that play music until 2 am (and its not just me, it happens to everyone in canarsie). I never got mugged in canarsie but theres been one break in attempt, and in the night you always hear police sirens.
you my friend live not too far from the projects! once you cross over from rockaway parkway its the PJs.anything above is not bad. I remeber when we moved there there was white flight bolting because the blacks were coming! now because of the demographics its been given a bad name! Canarsie consists of middle class hard working blacks with very good schools one of which is p.s. 14 on Remsen great if you have young ones!

For the one who was chased after hitting a ball on someones car id do the same to you! if you are in the park playing ball why the hell is your ball hitting my car with those high fences? do you know what it costs to replace windshields etc... As far as property value the closer you are to Marine park the higher your property value will be and guess what demographics live in marine park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,255,825 times
So who is going to come in and replace the people in Canarsie now? They are leaving as I type here for the suburbs. Canarsie seems to be an average to slightly below average area for a New York city neighborhood. Ghetto....., I don't think so.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 23,757 times
I dont know much about Canarsie, except that back in the 50s through alot of the 90s it was not a place to be if you were an "outsider." It was a deadly place in fact.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,514 times
Default Canarsie

Canarsie is a very good place to live, depending on where you stay. around E. 80 and up, you get a lot of good neiborhoods(?), mainly including one and two family house

Old 01-31-2009, 02:50 PM

64,532 posts, read 66,100,109 times
well i was born and raised in canarsie, left canarsie in 1974....

well decided a few months ago to take a look at the old stomping grounds..

i have to admit i was expecting like pitkin ave on ave l and on flatlands...

it was nothing like that, infact everything looked kind of like it did 40 years ago except for the names on the stores....

i cant comment on anything but the outside appearence of the neighborhood...

canarsie high 1970

Old 01-31-2009, 05:31 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Thanks for this observation mathjak.It makes sense.

It seems that on this forum any working or middle class neighborhood that has shifted from all white to mixed or majority black or hispanic is labeled as a ghetto or crime infested or gone to hell or going down or any other number of such descriptions.This seems especially true for neighborhoods in The Bronx and Brooklyn.

It is strange because you can look at the crime statistics and see that these areas actually have a lot less crime than 20 or 30 years ago and I don't remember any of these neighborhoods being that much if at all cleaner 20 or 30 years ago.It's like the people's memories are warped. The people who left because it "started changing" insist that it was much better back then and that the neighborhood has gone to hell.

Could it be simply that the demographics have changed and people say or think this because people of other colors have moved in?I don't know. I notice that a lot in neighborhood threads on this forum and I am a white guy.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:56 AM

64,532 posts, read 66,100,109 times
canarsie does lead the city in the highest foreclosure rate and according to crime statistics murders are up big time in canarsie....

as far as crime statistics go for lesser crimes alot of people especially ethnic neighborhoods dont even bother reporting the crime.....

Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 AM

500 posts, read 1,372,982 times
The area overall is not bad. There are some shady areas by the East 105 Street train station. Other than that it is about the same as some areas in Southeast Queens.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,821 times
I have been living in Canarsie since about 1994 (sorry I'm only 19 so i don't remember if it was '94 or '95). My parents are West Indian. My block had mainly Italians and Jews when I moved here. Most of them are gone now but that doesn't mean the neighborhood isn't good anymore. I went to P.S. 115 which in my opinion is still a pretty good school. My younger sister, brother and cousin also attended (and in my cousins case still attend) that school and I visit when I have time. I attended Canarsie High School for one semester and I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, but that's probably due to the fact that my class only had 8 kids on most days. I live near the cemetery in the 90s and I think my block is pretty decent. I do get really pissed off at any "bad" kids on my block or the surrounding blocks because they make the place look like crap. I hate when people don't keep their houses and yards looking decent. My parents have worked hard to give us everything. Our house and yard are even more beautiful than when we moved in. Sadly I can't say the same for everyone. But Canarsie still isn't a slum or a ghetto. As many people have already said, just stay away from Breuklen (sp?) and you're fine. I hate that people can't accept the fact that places change. CHANGE HAPPENS and it's a good thing (think of the mideval times. What if we had never changed?...) You moved. Did you expect your traditions to stay behind? Old(er) people are just too set in their ways. I mean don't get me wrong. I do miss a few things from back in the day but some good things have come around. Look at how they're changing Canarsie Park over on Seaview Ave. It's looking really pretty so far. What say you anti-change people to that? I can't even say anything else. I'm just too annoyed after reading all the negatives. I mean I want to move out of here but at the end of the day, it's where I grew up and I'd still miss Canarsie. I lived in Connecticut for a year and everytime I came home I was just so happy. Anti-Change people...SMH.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 PM

1,829 posts, read 3,662,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
The area overall is not bad. There are some shady areas by the East 105 Street train station. Other than that it is about the same as some areas in Southeast Queens.

Is that area considered Canarsie? I assumed it was something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City