U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Red Hook Brooklyn-winter Derby Line Vermont-summer
280 posts, read 1,047,891 times
Reputation: 160

Advertisements

I have chimed in as Canarsie being a slum in the past on this thread.It is nowhere near as bad as some nabes in Brooklyn.I still wouldn't want to live there but it is liveable particularly if you are a middle class West Indian family working towards the American dream. My negative opinions were formed from memories.Some good and some bad. I do dispute posters who say that majjor crime has decreased in the 69th pct since 1990 because that is simply not true.Street robberies were alot less and the occasional murder was mob related.Those numbers that Bloomy puts out still gets me going but I have made Canarsie sound worse than it actually is. Mea Culpa.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,411 times
Reputation: 13
My family moved to Canarsie when I was just a few months old in 1980. My parents still live there (on E 82nd St) and I visit them every couple weeks. I always encourage them to move from the area. I have witnessed the deterioration of the neighborhood firsthand and I wouldn't encourage others to move there if they don't have to.

My main problem with Canarsie is that the residents don't seem to care much about the neighborhood. There are a handful of people who will go to block association meetings and try to keep the place clean but generally speaking, they don't seem to care. City garbage cans are not made for household garbage, but the cans along Flatlands tend to be overflowing with bags of household garbage. People drive recklessly down Glenwood Ave and somehow end up knocking down neighborhood fences which aren't replaced or repaired. Bags of garbage and litter are dropped off in random places underneath trees along Farragut Rd. There are a number of broken down cars parked in the community driveways throughout the area. The neighborhood was not like that when I was growing up. I used to ride my bicycle in those community driveways as a kid, but I would not let a child ride back there now. Not to mention the people who insist on having ridiculously loud parties with rented speakers at all hours of the night during the summer...or the ones who park on the street and blast music from their cars. Complaints to 311 or the 69th precinct are largely ignored. In the winter, it's a struggle to get neighbors to dig out the community driveway. Sure, you could just dig out your own car, but if everyone pitched in a little bit then the whole roadway would be clear and we could all drive on it. When I was younger, people from the block would all come out to shovel and those who wouldn't would pitch in to hire some local kids to shovel. Last time it snowed and my mom approached a neighbor about this, the person told her "I don't have a car, so the snow can stay until it melts."

Yes, it's better than Brownsville and some parts of Bed Stuy, but for the price of the homes in the neighborhood, it's just not worth it. The area was zoned for mostly 1 and 2 family homes but there are many homes where the garages were closed and turned into basement apartments without DOB approval. There are many people living in these illegal apartments, but the City resources to the area have not increased to accomodate them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Red Hook Brooklyn-winter Derby Line Vermont-summer
280 posts, read 1,047,891 times
Reputation: 160
[LEFT]I am torn now. Good place?bad place? ghetto? resedential? From todays NY Post:

Brooklyn
A teenager was stabbed to death yesterday in a possibly gang-related attack in Canarsie, police sources said.
The 18-year-old youth, whose name was withheld pending notification of his family, was knifed in the chest by an unknown assailant at about 2 p.m. on Flatlands Avenue near East 104th Street.
The stabber fled.


Read more: NYPD Daily Blotter - NYPOST.com
[/LEFT]
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
455 posts, read 758,619 times
Reputation: 335
NYCGirl is right......I have an aunt there, the neighborhood has got worse.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Sunset Park, Brooklyn
423 posts, read 1,102,697 times
Reputation: 227
Guys, look up the crime rates from back in the day and now. It was worse back then. Or is the NYPD fudging the stats in the neighborhood to make it seem that it has less crime than back in 1990...?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs069pct.pdf
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
 
176 posts, read 607,809 times
Reputation: 82
Since I live 101st street I will actually chime in. Yes there are areas in Canarsie that are not so great, just like there are areas in Sheaps Head Bay that are not so great. I know because I lived in both locations. Before I moved to Canarsie I lived in Sheaps Head Bay. There are no difference in those two area's only difference is black lives in Canarsie and mostly whites lives in Sheaps Head Bay. Also while there are bad parts of Canarsie there are more great parts than there are bad, there are no loud music playing at nights or days where I live, kids ride their bikes constantly and it is really quiet on nice tree lines. I hear people talking about they came out of town to visit one day and consider specific area bad, you havent been to all the parts. If it was so bad why people trying to buy back into neighborhood, I'm talking about people who lived there decades ago?

If anyone looking to move to Canarsie as a home owner there I would encourage it, there are great parts certain areas I would not recocomend but a good amount of Canarsie is still in perfect condition if not better. There are tons of parks for kids, quiet tree lines, people who do care for their properties. In fact in the next 5 years no one will be able to afford Canarsie, as changes are being made. I just hate that because black people live some where it all of a certain becomes ghetto. There are places in Sheaps Head Bay I wouldnt want to be caught in but that is not all of Sheaps Head Bay. Bay Ridge has a lot of gangs but that is not all of Bay ridge.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Sunset Park, Brooklyn
423 posts, read 1,102,697 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Since I live 101st street I will actually chime in. Yes there are areas in Canarsie that are not so great, just like there are areas in Sheaps Head Bay that are not so great. I know because I lived in both locations. Before I moved to Canarsie I lived in Sheaps Head Bay. There are no difference in those two area's only difference is black lives in Canarsie and mostly whites lives in Sheaps Head Bay. Also while there are bad parts of Canarsie there are more great parts than there are bad, there are no loud music playing at nights or days where I live, kids ride their bikes constantly and it is really quiet on nice tree lines. I hear people talking about they came out of town to visit one day and consider specific area bad, you havent been to all the parts. If it was so bad why people trying to buy back into neighborhood, I'm talking about people who lived there decades ago?

If anyone looking to move to Canarsie as a home owner there I would encourage it, there are great parts certain areas I would not recocomend but a good amount of Canarsie is still in perfect condition if not better. There are tons of parks for kids, quiet tree lines, people who do care for their properties. In fact in the next 5 years no one will be able to afford Canarsie, as changes are being made. I just hate that because black people live some where it all of a certain becomes ghetto. There are places in Sheaps Head Bay I wouldnt want to be caught in but that is not all of Sheaps Head Bay. Bay Ridge has a lot of gangs but that is not all of Bay ridge.
The precinct in which sheepshead bay is located in actually has a higher overall crime total than Canarsie's precinct...interesting right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
 
176 posts, read 607,809 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
The precinct in which sheepshead bay is located in actually has a higher overall crime total than Canarsie's precinct...interesting right?
Unbelievable and yet people concentrate on little things that happens in Canarsie calling it slums and ghetto. The sad part is these are people that done actually live there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Crown Heights - Rosdale
8 posts, read 27,367 times
Reputation: 10
My Uncle lives in Canarsie. Its alright.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,367,236 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
[LEFT]I am torn now. Good place?bad place? ghetto? resedential? From todays NY Post:

Brooklyn
A teenager was stabbed to death yesterday in a possibly gang-related attack in Canarsie, police sources said.
The 18-year-old youth, whose name was withheld pending notification of his family, was knifed in the chest by an unknown assailant at about 2 p.m. on Flatlands Avenue near East 104th Street.
The stabber fled.


Read more: NYPD Daily Blotter - NYPOST.com
[/LEFT]
that was in a housing project in canarsie basically at the boarder of east ny. first of all those projects are not complete trash. they are bad but their are much worse.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top