U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
Reputation: 1567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Unbelievable and yet people concentrate on little things that happens in Canarsie calling it slums and ghetto. The sad part is these are people that done actually live there.
its because its a black neighborhood thats why.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,408 times
Reputation: 13
"its because its a black neighborhood thats why."

I wouldn't say it's because it's a black neighborhood. I'm black and I lived there off and on for 28 years. What's wrong with wanting a better quality of life? If you go up by Seaview or in the Paerdegats it seems better than the area in the 80s-90s between Flatlands- Farragut. I can't comment on how Canarsie compares to Sheepshead Bay because I haven't spent much time in SB.

As far as people moving back to Canarsie, when I was in elementary school, I was one of 3 black children in my class of approximately 30. By junior high, most of those kids and their families fled Canarsie and moved to Long Island. Some of them are coming back to "the City" but I have yet to hear or see any of them in the old area. To the extent that they're back in Brooklyn, I've heard Park Slope, Mill Basin and Gerritsen Beach. This is my personal experience, and based on a small sample of people, so who knows? All I can say with certainty is that crime may be down as far as statistics are concerned, but quality of life (cleanliness of the neighborhood, quality of schools, neighborhood commerce, etc.) definitely has decreased since I was a child. I am grateful for the decrease in crime but by itself, that doesn't make it a great area.... and although there has been a decrease since 1990, does anyone have stats on how Canarsie presently compares to other Brooklyn areas?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM
 
176 posts, read 607,459 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGirl777 View Post
"its because its a black neighborhood thats why."

I wouldn't say it's because it's a black neighborhood. I'm black and I lived there off and on for 28 years. What's wrong with wanting a better quality of life? If you go up by Seaview or in the Paerdegats it seems better than the area in the 80s-90s between Flatlands- Farragut. I can't comment on how Canarsie compares to Sheepshead Bay because I haven't spent much time in SB.

As far as people moving back to Canarsie, when I was in elementary school, I was one of 3 black children in my class of approximately 30. By junior high, most of those kids and their families fled Canarsie and moved to Long Island. Some of them are coming back to "the City" but I have yet to hear or see any of them in the old area. To the extent that they're back in Brooklyn, I've heard Park Slope, Mill Basin and Gerritsen Beach. This is my personal experience, and based on a small sample of people, so who knows? All I can say with certainty is that crime may be down as far as statistics are concerned, but quality of life (cleanliness of the neighborhood, quality of schools, neighborhood commerce, etc.) definitely has decreased since I was a child. I am grateful for the decrease in crime but by itself, that doesn't make it a great area.... and although there has been a decrease since 1990, does anyone have stats on how Canarsie presently compares to other Brooklyn areas?
I understand what you are saying there are areas that are not so good in Canarsie and areas that are still in mint condition. This is the same for other areas I've lived in like SheapsHead Bay and yet no one calls it Ghetto. Every neighborhood has its good areas and bad areas it does not matter the nationality but when it comes to black it is slums or ghetto.

Recently there are more Caucacians moving in, this is in the 100st area, and there are plenty more coming as they are fixing Canarsie Pier and Belt Parkway. This is why the built the Gatyway center at Ernstein. As soon as more Caucacians move in I bet it will than become a beautiful suburbs instead of slum, same everything nothing changes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 PM
 
876 posts, read 1,883,481 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I understand what you are saying there are areas that are not so good in Canarsie and areas that are still in mint condition. This is the same for other areas I've lived in like SheapsHead Bay and yet no one calls it Ghetto. Every neighborhood has its good areas and bad areas it does not matter the nationality but when it comes to black it is slums or ghetto.

Recently there are more Caucacians moving in, this is in the 100st area, and there are plenty more coming as they are fixing Canarsie Pier and Belt Parkway. This is why the built the Gatyway center at Ernstein. As soon as more Caucacians move in I bet it will than become a beautiful suburbs instead of slum, same everything nothing changes.
So do you think the jews will return? I live in canarsie and praying for the return of jews.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGirl777 View Post
"its because its a black neighborhood thats why."

I wouldn't say it's because it's a black neighborhood. I'm black and I lived there off and on for 28 years. What's wrong with wanting a better quality of life? If you go up by Seaview or in the Paerdegats it seems better than the area in the 80s-90s between Flatlands- Farragut. I can't comment on how Canarsie compares to Sheepshead Bay because I haven't spent much time in SB.

As far as people moving back to Canarsie, when I was in elementary school, I was one of 3 black children in my class of approximately 30. By junior high, most of those kids and their families fled Canarsie and moved to Long Island. Some of them are coming back to "the City" but I have yet to hear or see any of them in the old area. To the extent that they're back in Brooklyn, I've heard Park Slope, Mill Basin and Gerritsen Beach. This is my personal experience, and based on a small sample of people, so who knows? All I can say with certainty is that crime may be down as far as statistics are concerned, but quality of life (cleanliness of the neighborhood, quality of schools, neighborhood commerce, etc.) definitely has decreased since I was a child. I am grateful for the decrease in crime but by itself, that doesn't make it a great area.... and although there has been a decrease since 1990, does anyone have stats on how Canarsie presently compares to other Brooklyn areas?

overall canarsie isnt bad at all , even the 80,s smh. the only times canarsie gets a little hectic is during the summer, and the main reason is that canarsie is attracted to a lot of people from other bad areas because canarsie is a hot spot for parties and block parties.

a lot of regular random crimes tend to happen in the 2 housing projects in the neighborhood and also the area by the l train which is a bad spot but thats about it, and also canarsie is right next to east new york which carries crime over at times.

i never saw canarsie as a bad area and to my opinion people overrate canarsie to much. i remember in junior high school i use to think canarsie was brooklyn,s worst area because of all the hyphe it was getting as being bad. it was then i started getting around brooklyn and realized canarsie isnt no where as dangerous as the hoods in north brooklyn and east new york , and no where as dangerous as coney island neither.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I understand what you are saying there are areas that are not so good in Canarsie and areas that are still in mint condition. This is the same for other areas I've lived in like SheapsHead Bay and yet no one calls it Ghetto. Every neighborhood has its good areas and bad areas it does not matter the nationality but when it comes to black it is slums or ghetto.

Recently there are more Caucacians moving in, this is in the 100st area, and there are plenty more coming as they are fixing Canarsie Pier and Belt Parkway. This is why the built the Gatyway center at Ernstein. As soon as more Caucacians move in I bet it will than become a beautiful suburbs instead of slum, same everything nothing changes.
what sources do you have of Caucasians moving into canarsie??? cause i have yet and barely see white people in canarsie. the white people i know and see in canarsie are the main ones who have been here for years.

the 100,s in canarsie is pure jamaican and haitian families and other west indians. the housing projects in the 100,s have a lot of african americans and puerto ricans. the only thing that comes close to Caucasians in that part of brooklyn is starret city. their are a lot of white people in starret city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
So do you think the jews will return? I live in canarsie and praying for the return of jews.
most people who live in canarsie actually own stuff and most of the people in canarsie are not poor or living off the government and making the area burn down.

canarsie isnt bed stuy or crown heights or the old harlem. its a middle class community with businesses all over after the community and in case you haven't noticed jews aren't going for those areas.

i have a lot of friends in different areas and the hoods that i know for a fact jews are trying to buy property in are the rest of crown heights, bed stuy , and flatbush.

but east flatbush , and canarsie are here to stay.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I understand what you are saying there are areas that are not so good in Canarsie and areas that are still in mint condition. This is the same for other areas I've lived in like SheapsHead Bay and yet no one calls it Ghetto. Every neighborhood has its good areas and bad areas it does not matter the nationality but when it comes to black it is slums or ghetto.

Recently there are more Caucacians moving in, this is in the 100st area, and there are plenty more coming as they are fixing Canarsie Pier and Belt Parkway. This is why the built the Gatyway center at Ernstein. As soon as more Caucacians move in I bet it will than become a beautiful suburbs instead of slum, same everything nothing changes.

btw this is a lie because right behind the gateway center they are building loads of houses, and my parents are in the process of purchasing one. we are due to move around novemeber or december.

well me and my mom took a walk around the area, and all we saw where middle class black people living in these houses and off coarse a lot of them were west indian.

so idk where you got the fact that the gov built gateway mall to make whites move in. if that is so then the government failed cause im black and im moving their and i have yet to see a white family in that area of spring creek.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Red Hook Brooklyn-winter Derby Line Vermont-summer
280 posts, read 1,047,275 times
Reputation: 160
Starrett City is to Canarsie as the Breukelen projects are to ENY.What I mean is to say that the murder at E.104th and Flatlands in broad daylight was discounted here because...those projects are almost in ENY.... True but they aren't in ENY they are and always will be in Canarsie.Starrett City is and will always be in ENY. And the only caucs moving into either neighborhood are Eastern Europeans in Starrett and they are very insular,they won't be attracting hipsters to Canarsie or Starrett or any part of ENY.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,940 times
Reputation: 10
Default looking a 2 bedroom apts in canarsie

let me know anyone
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top