Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 PM

84 posts, read 491,159 times

Advertisements

My niece and her husband currently live in upstate NY. He recently was offered a job and are looking to relocate to Canarsie. They have 3 young children 5 yrs and under. Can anyone give me information on the area as we are not familiar with it. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM

151 posts, read 692,196 times
I have family who live there and lived there for years myself. Canarsie is considered middle class and a preety decent area. Youll find that its mostly residential single/multiple family homes and not much buildings per say. The school districts are good until you get to high school. What part are they thinking of moving to? I have family who live in the 90's. There are occasional crimes but mostly car breakins during the summer. Its mostly minorities there but if you know Brooklyn you can say its a minority version of Park Slope. Home prices are $500,000 and up although homes have been sitting on the market longer. Unfortunately theres only one train which is the L and trust me during storms you can forget taking it. Youd have to take one of the 3 bus lines (b6, 82, 17) to another part of Brooklyn to catch a train. There are plenty of shops around and its not too far from the main shopping mall Kings Plaza Mall otherwise known as KP. Its right next to Marine Park which is a very expensive area with mostly non-minorities. In that area Homes go from $600,000 and up. Hope this helps.

If I home prices were more affordable id definitely move and buy in Canarsie. Oh well.
Good Luck.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:06 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,874,148 times
Canarsie itself isn't too bad but it borders some of the worst hoods in Brooklyn. Make sure you have a car before moving there.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 PM

37 posts, read 189,659 times
Canarsie is a predominately black area, that has gotten significantly better over the years. It is mostly made up of apartments, condos and industrial buildings. Canarsie is bordered by Mill Basin on south side, which consists of expensive waterfront homes, it is one of the most upscale areas in Brooklyn. On the north side is Stardett City, a small area made up of high-rise apartment buildings, the neighborhood is safe and has a large shopping center. On, the west side it is bordered by East Flatbush which is a major ghetto, that you should try to stay away from at all costs. Public schools are decent, but the class sizes are big.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 20,697 times
canarsie has become a slum with big time gang activity. I moved from there a few years ago. consider bergen beach or mill basin if possible.
i would stay far away from canarsie.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,486,326 times
It depends where you are in Canarsie; some parts of the neighborhood are better than others. And the L train terminates there--Rockaway Parkway to 8 Ave/14 St. in just under 40 minutes.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 AM

33,400 posts, read 46,840,103 times
canarsie is the brooklyn version of rosedale to me. its an average working class, predominantly west-indian american neighborhood. mostly detached 1 family houses, a few apartment buildings. to the the neighborhood is good, i would just stay away from breukelen houses, bayview houses, flatlands and east 80th, avenue L in the 90s, glenwood houses which is the border of east flatbush and canarsie. those are the only trouble spots in my opinion.

you might also want to look into georgetown, which is a lesser known brooklyn neighborhood which is right next door to canarsie, and is safer. not to say that canarsie is necessarily bad.

georgetown is bordered to the west by ralph avenue, the south by avenue n, and to the north and east by bergen avenue.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM

588 posts, read 944,255 times
Superhog is right. Canrasie is pretty close to being a ghetto.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 PM

588 posts, read 944,255 times
*Canarsie

Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 PM

536 posts, read 2,343,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
canarsie is the brooklyn version of rosedale to me
Maybe because it's more suburban in appearance, but Rosedale seems a lot nicer than Canarsie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City