U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 PM

52,732 posts, read 75,683,460 times

Advertisements

Andysocks, I've heard that too. I think it happens to a degree, but not to the extent that people make it out to be. It seems like the stats on the school aren't bad at all. I can see how there could be a clash of economic, social and ethnic/racial issues there at times though. It's a good school district nevertheless and a nice city in terms of culture and things to do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM

63 posts, read 255,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's interesting is that, as a county, Queens is the most "diverse" county in the United States. You have to put that into proper perspective though as well. What about schools in Bayside, Flushing and Far Rockaway?

Also geralnique, when you moved Upstate, if you want a high school that is good and diverse, try Ithaca as the first choice. Very good schools, with a lot of influence from Cornell University, an Ivy League school in the city. Some other schools to think about are:Buffalo's Hutchinson Central Tech High and City Honors(very, very good HS), Binghamton High, Syracuse's Nottingham High and Corcoran High(best grad rate in city, but is about 70% Black), Watertown(military town), Rochester's School of the Arts High and Wilson Magnet, Geneva, Jamestown, Dunkirk, Schenectady, Amsterdam, Niagara Falls, Plattsburgh, Oneonta, Rome Free Academy, Utica's Proctor High and Troy's Lansingburgh High, among other urban HS's, big and small cities.

Some suburban districts to consider Upstate are:Cleveland Hill, Gates-Chili, Rush-Henrietta, Liverpool, Jamesville-DeWitt, Union-Endicott, Johnson City, East Irondequoit, Amherst, Sweet Home, Colonie(South Colonie SD), Watervliet, Rensselaer and Cheektowaga, among others.

If you want to go private, try Albany's Bishop Maginn(best combo of diversity and schooling), Syracuse's Bishop Ludden, Rochester's Bishop Kearney, Aquinas or Nazareth(All-girls school), among some others.

Also, try Orange County school districts, some of the Poughkeepsie suburban SD's and the schools in other Hudson Valley counties.

Thank you! We are moving to upstate in a year so that will be very helpful! . I found a school called Robert F Kennedy Middle School in Flushing, Queens that seems pretty good i am not sure if any of you heard of that school before ? . Also is Flushing a safe neighborhood to live in ? The school is actually in South Flushing though.

Thank you!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 PM

536 posts, read 2,094,340 times
All of Flushing is good, south, north, east, whatever. There's two PJs in Flushing, Bland and Pomonok, but Flushing is so big you might not be near either.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM

63 posts, read 255,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
All of Flushing is good, south, north, east, whatever. There's two PJs in Flushing, Bland and Pomonok, but Flushing is so big you might not be near either.
Thanks! What do you mean by PJs though?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:46 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,278,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geralnique View Post
Thanks! What do you mean by PJs though?
Pajama stores. Also a good selection of sleep wear at Latimer.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 PM

725 posts, read 1,778,153 times
Default Agreed!

I agree with most of whats been said. Astoria & Jackson Heights are the first ones I could think of.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 PM

841 posts, read 3,931,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Pajama stores. Also a good selection of sleep wear at Latimer.
Lol

Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 PM

841 posts, read 3,931,635 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want to be out walking around certain parts of Flushing. Esp at night

Old 08-01-2008, 02:10 AM

536 posts, read 2,094,340 times
^^^ Are we talking about the same Flushing? The only part I'd stay out of at night is right along the Whitestone Expressway, but she was talking about south Flushing anyway.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:41 AM

1,121 posts, read 5,925,312 times
Quote:
Pomonok is not located in Flushing. It's in Fresh Meadows. The other one in Flushing is Latimer Gardens. There's also a 1 building project exclusively for seniors, Leavitt Street-34th Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City