U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 PM

390 posts, read 1,049,892 times

Advertisements

i just moved to LIC and its very diverse...spanish, black, asian, white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 PM

841 posts, read 3,928,131 times
Queens in general is very diverse

Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 AM

9,905 posts, read 12,977,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
These high schools in Queens may be diverse but this mythical diversity experience that this person is clamoring for just does not exist. These high schools are diverse in the same the way jails are diverse. The different ethnic groups all cluster together, stay with their own and there is measurable tension between each group. When I went to these schools in the 80's and 90's the suburban people had not yet arrived en masse but the few that were there did not fit in at all. It was important to be part of one of the ethnic groups, whether it was the Black, the various Latinos, the Greeks, The Italians or one of the Oriental groups. There really was not a white group with whiteboys named Tyler or Taylor. If Tyler did show up with his Mommy from Rochester NY he would clearly be at the bottom of the social pecking order and find a challenging situation to find acceptance and day to day safety. Not sure how a lone whitegirl would fare at a Queens public school but I am sure she would be barraged with potential suitors from many of the groups. She would be wise to leave the suburban promiscuity behind and find a boyfriend fast and settled down in a protected mode.

These diversity experiences that these people are talking about only exist in theory, not in reality. It is best to admire diversity from a distance and value it as something that makes you feel good about yourself and proves to yourself that you are just better than your racist parents and grandparent. Diversity is a hypothetical value for rich white people with Jamaican nannies not a reality for real people. If you do try to make diversity your reality, you will surely be disappointed and at the very worst you may be left very bitter and angry.
The truth hurts!! I fear that white kids, especially who are outsiders, will be in for a rough go amongst all this "diversity".

Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,494,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
These high schools in Queens may be diverse but this mythical diversity experience that this person is clamoring for just does not exist. These high schools are diverse in the same the way jails are diverse. The different ethnic groups all cluster together, stay with their own and there is measurable tension between each group. When I went to these schools in the 80's and 90's the suburban people had not yet arrived en masse but the few that were there did not fit in at all. It was important to be part of one of the ethnic groups, whether it was the Black, the various Latinos, the Greeks, The Italians or one of the Oriental groups. There really was not a white group with whiteboys named Tyler or Taylor. If Tyler did show up with his Mommy from Rochester NY he would clearly be at the bottom of the social pecking order and find a challenging situation to find acceptance and day to day safety. Not sure how a lone whitegirl would fare at a Queens public school but I am sure she would be barraged with potential suitors from many of the groups. She would be wise to leave the suburban promiscuity behind and find a boyfriend fast and settled down in a protected mode.

These diversity experiences that these people are talking about only exist in theory, not in reality. It is best to admire diversity from a distance and value it as something that makes you feel good about yourself and proves to yourself that you are just better than your racist parents and grandparent. Diversity is a hypothetical value for rich white people with Jamaican nannies not a reality for real people. If you do try to make diversity your reality, you will surely be disappointed and at the very worst you may be left very bitter and angry.

With all due respect, while you may have had the public school experience to support your assertions, I do not believe that all whites, or to be sure, anyone seeking racial diversity, is seeking some sort of self-righteousness. There are people of all races who would like their children to be comfortable in school environments where they attend classes with the other races that comprise NYC.

To be sure, the OP may have a difficult time finding that ratio that is representative of the city's population to the degree that they desire. A tradeoff in percentages is forthcoming - but just attending a school that is not 100 percent one race would make the OP's kids ahead of the game and prepare them for life in NYC.

True, kids like their adult counterparts, sometimes hang out in enthnic groupings before and after classes. But school life does not consist of individually scheduled free time only. There are extracurricular activities which are available for all attendees at school. There are the actual classes that are obviously not segregated, of course.

Let's not be so skeptical of anyone who'd like their child to be exposed to a vaiety of ethnicities at school - even if the ideal is not attained (as it still hasn't in adult life). Isn't the desire and effort to enjoy some aspects of ethnic diversity good in and of itself for that parent and the child?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM

10,606 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The truth hurts!! I fear that white kids, especially who are outsiders, will be in for a rough go amongst all this "diversity".
Why are you assuming the kid in question is white? The OP states that she herself is hispanic, which would make any child of hers at least half hispanic.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 AM

9,905 posts, read 12,977,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Why are you assuming the kid in question is white? The OP states that she herself is hispanic, which would make any child of hers at least half hispanic.
I was referring to the person I quoted, but yes you are right about the OP.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM

10,606 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I was referring to the person I quoted, but yes you are right about the OP.
oh...I was too lazy to go back and read the whole thread. Sorry.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:02 PM

201 posts, read 835,427 times
I lived in Jackson Heights for several years...many people in my building had kids...they were all ethnically diverse...there are lots of good private and public school there...I think you can't beat Jackson Heights for its pricing and greenery....It was where this Long Island girl ended up after looking in almost all of Queens...

Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 PM

108 posts, read 243,840 times
College Point is Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City