U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
 
Location: outer boroughs, NYC
905 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Reputation: 439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I will probably be bringing my car with me, especially for when I drive back to Pittsburgh from time to time to visit the rest of my family. I know I have to account for insurance and gas, but would I have to pay for a parking space in SI like in some of the other boroughs? How easy is it to travel from SI to Newark? Are there any trains that go toward NJ?
No. You will not have to pay for parking on SI. In the vast majority of the borough, you will not have to deal with those pesky-alternate side regulations, either. Finding street parking in most of Staten Island is a breeze, and most houses (and all the newer ones) have driveways/garages.

There are no trains that go to NJ. Driving to Newark is fairly easy, and would take anywhere from 20-40 minutes, depending on where you are on the Island (SI is much bigger than many realize). If you're traveling at rush hour, it'll be longer with traffic - rush hour all over New York runs both ways.

There is, however, a little-known secret that may save you a bit of time (though you could hit traffic elsewhere, I'm unfamiliar with routes to Newark, so double-check on this) - the Bayonne Bridge. The Goethals Bridge, the usual route to Newark, is an absolute bottleneck even at off-peak times. At rush hour, it's a nightmare. The Bayonne Bridge, on the other hand, has to be among the least-traveled crossings in NYC. I've never heard of a traffic jam on it. If you can figure a route to Newark using the Bayonne Bridge, you'll likely save yourself some time.

Another option, if you want to take the Bayonne, is to park at the NJ Transit Light Rail station (22nd Street, I think) in Bayonne, and then transfer to the PATH to Newark. Not sure how long this would take, but you'd save on gas.

Also be aware that crossing the bridge every day will cost you - $6 round trip with EZPASS, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 AM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,005,085 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
No. You will not have to pay for parking on SI. In the vast majority of the borough, you will not have to deal with those pesky-alternate side regulations, either. Finding street parking in most of Staten Island is a breeze, and most houses (and all the newer ones) have driveways/garages.

There are no trains that go to NJ. Driving to Newark is fairly easy, and would take anywhere from 20-40 minutes, depending on where you are on the Island (SI is much bigger than many realize). If you're traveling at rush hour, it'll be longer with traffic - rush hour all over New York runs both ways.

There is, however, a little-known secret that may save you a bit of time (though you could hit traffic elsewhere, I'm unfamiliar with routes to Newark, so double-check on this) - the Bayonne Bridge. The Goethals Bridge, the usual route to Newark, is an absolute bottleneck even at off-peak times. At rush hour, it's a nightmare. The Bayonne Bridge, on the other hand, has to be among the least-traveled crossings in NYC. I've never heard of a traffic jam on it. If you can figure a route to Newark using the Bayonne Bridge, you'll likely save yourself some time.

Another option, if you want to take the Bayonne, is to park at the NJ Transit Light Rail station (22nd Street, I think) in Bayonne, and then transfer to the PATH to Newark. Not sure how long this would take, but you'd save on gas.

Also be aware that crossing the bridge every day will cost you - $6 round trip with EZPASS, I think.


Thank you, you are extremely helpful and informative. What about if I would park in Elizabeth and catch the train from there? Or would that be longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 AM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,005,085 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Thank you, you are extremely helpful and informative. What about if I would park in Elizabeth and catch the train from there? Or would that be longer?

Oh never mind that, I see that is the way you were talking about with the Goethals bridge that is always backed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 07:31 AM
 
Location: outer boroughs, NYC
905 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Oh never mind that, I see that is the way you were talking about with the Goethals bridge that is always backed up.
Yeah, my wording might've been unclear - you could park in Bayonne and catch the train from there. You'd have to take the NJ Transit Light Rail first, and then switch to the PATH - I've done this going to Manhattan before, but never to Newark, so I'm not sure how long it would take. To make an educated guess, it's probably faster to drive if there's not much traffic, but if you hit traffic somewhere, it might be about the same. But I'm really not sure. Google the NJ Transit Light Rail and the PATH for further info, they both have websites.

And you're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,005,085 times
Reputation: 353
Is Staten Island up there with South Orange/Maplewood, Montclair, or Rutherford? Is it cheaper? Easier to get around? Is Elizabeth comparable to SI or any of these other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,005,085 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Yeah, my wording might've been unclear - you could park in Bayonne and catch the train from there. You'd have to take the NJ Transit Light Rail first, and then switch to the PATH - I've done this going to Manhattan before, but never to Newark, so I'm not sure how long it would take. To make an educated guess, it's probably faster to drive if there's not much traffic, but if you hit traffic somewhere, it might be about the same. But I'm really not sure. Google the NJ Transit Light Rail and the PATH for further info, they both have websites.

And you're welcome!

What about Bayonne for families? I read on here in another thread that it can be kinda rough being accepted as a newcomer, do you know if there is any truth to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 05:44 PM
 
Location: outer boroughs, NYC
905 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Is Staten Island up there with South Orange/Maplewood, Montclair, or Rutherford? Is it cheaper? Easier to get around? Is Elizabeth comparable to SI or any of these other areas?
To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about those areas, having never done more than drive through them. I've heard that Montclair is nice. Staten Island seems nicer than Elizabeth. I don't really know much about South Orange/Maplewood, or Rutherford. Actually, I don't know a whole lot about any of them - perhaps you should check out the NJ forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM
 
Location: outer boroughs, NYC
905 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
What about Bayonne for families? I read on here in another thread that it can be kinda rough being accepted as a newcomer, do you know if there is any truth to that?
I've been to Bayonne a few times, and walked through it (you can walk across the Bayonne Bridge, which is kinda cool). It seems like a nice place, if a bit sleepy, even in comparison to SI. There also appear to be a few kinda run-down areas, but nothing too bad.

As for being accepted as a newcomer, I really can't say. It's in the NY metro, so I can't imagine it would be too difficult, but I don't know anybody from Bayonne, so I don't think I could quite answer that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Old Bridge
11 posts, read 35,120 times
Reputation: 17
Staten Island is absolutely not monopolized by working class. It's actually because very unaffordable for the average person. From where I currently reside, the average house price in SI is around 100,000 more. THe taxes are very reasonable compared to New Jersey. It does however have its less desirables sections. South Shore is up and coming and very expensive. It is similiar, but more suburbian (more single family homes) than Brooklyn. Its diverse ethnically now, although people use to call it "little italy" because it had a high percentage of italian american people. North Shore sections such as Stapleton, Port Richmond, and Park Hill are "BAD" areas for mainly the same reasons one would consider "bad" areas bad in New Jersey. The schools on the southern tip of Staten Island are good, until middleschool. I wouldn't consider living there again because it's getting too crowded and congested. It accomodates both working class and the more affluent because it sectioned off. Typically if you live on the South Shore, a minority might not feel comfortable moving on the block, but if you are not a minority, you would typically not by a house in Park Hill...its diverse in a whole, but it is sectioned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,005,085 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411hunn View Post
Staten Island is absolutely not monopolized by working class. It's actually because very unaffordable for the average person. From where I currently reside, the average house price in SI is around 100,000 more. THe taxes are very reasonable compared to New Jersey. It does however have its less desirables sections. South Shore is up and coming and very expensive. It is similiar, but more suburbian (more single family homes) than Brooklyn. Its diverse ethnically now, although people use to call it "little italy" because it had a high percentage of italian american people. North Shore sections such as Stapleton, Port Richmond, and Park Hill are "BAD" areas for mainly the same reasons one would consider "bad" areas bad in New Jersey. The schools on the southern tip of Staten Island are good, until middleschool. I wouldn't consider living there again because it's getting too crowded and congested. It accomodates both working class and the more affluent because it sectioned off. Typically if you live on the South Shore, a minority might not feel comfortable moving on the block, but if you are not a minority, you would typically not by a house in Park Hill...its diverse in a whole, but it is sectioned off.

I think I get what your saying, that some of the neighborhoods on the north shore are mostly minority, while some south shore neighborhoods are mostly white. Are the "bad" neighborhoods really bad or are they just perceived as bad because they are mostly populated by minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top