U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:03 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Are there any issues there with racist people? I find it kind odd that over 70% of Staten Island in white while all the other boroughs are very diverse. Or is that just a coincidence.
It's far more isolated then the outer boroughs from Manhattan, not to mention far more suburban. Breezy Point in Queens is over 98% White, does that make it a racist neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,004,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It's far more isolated then the outer boroughs from Manhattan, not to mention far more suburban. Breezy Point in Queens is over 98% White, does that make it a racist neighborhood?
I'm not saying it is racist, I was asking if it was. Having neighborhoods that are over 70% white here in Pittsburgh is normal, but in a diverse city like NYC I didn't expect to see a whole borough that is over 70% in ANY race.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
That's interesting because I always hear about Brooklyn's good neighborhoods being great and hear people put down S.I. and the Bronx.
because the brooklyn folks won't shut up about how great their boro is. they are BY FAR the most vocal group in the city. i can't enjoy a concert @ irving plaza without some groups of people sreaming "brooklyn!!!" every five seconds...i'm like "yeah, i heard you the first 10 times"

Last edited by john_starks; 07-31-2008 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 11:23 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
because the brooklyn folks won't shut up about how great their boro is. they are BY FAR the most vocal group in the city. i can't enjoy a concert @ irving plaza without some groups of people sreaming "brooklyn!!!" every five seconds...i'm like "yeah, i heard you the first 10 times"
And this apparently surprises you? It shouldn't, coming from the only borough that used to be a separate city. (The municipal election of 1895, which made consolidation with NYC a fact of life, was rigged, by the way. It was no secret that the overwhelming majority of Brooklynites were opposed to the measure. Manhattan politicians were in favor of it. Surprise! Consolidation passed, and for the last 113 years, nobody has been able to account for those votes).

The next time you're at one of those concerts, and people start yelling "Brooklyn!" feel free to respond with "Staten Island!" I am not to be held responsible for whatever happens, however.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And this apparently surprises you? It shouldn't, coming from the only borough that used to be a separate city. (The municipal election of 1895, which made consolidation with NYC a fact of life, was rigged, by the way. It was no secret that the overwhelming majority of Brooklynites were opposed to the measure. Manhattan politicians were in favor of it. Surprise! Consolidation passed, and for the last 113 years, nobody has been able to account for those votes).

The next time you're at one of those concerts, and people start yelling "Brooklyn!" feel free to respond with "Staten Island!" I am not to be held responsible for whatever happens, however.
lol, while i'm at it, might as well yell "Westchester in da house!!"

Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
lol, while i'm at it, might as well yell "westchester in da house!!"
lmao

Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:

In a way that might be a good thing, a little community pride is a positive for a neighborhood, but I can see how it can be a little annoying.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM

536 posts, read 2,091,211 times
I was at a local pizza place in Oakland Gardens with my friend from LI who had recently moved to Brooklyn, and he was like "how come people from Queens are so much prouder than people from the Island?" I was like "Queens folks proud? We ain't got nothing on Brooklyn!" and he was like "true... but why?" I was like "eh, I guess we got more to be proud of, I dunno."

Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
actually breezy point does have a reputation for being insular and racist. i'm not saying its true or false but thats what i have heard. either way, that explains why i only live a few miles away but i've only been there 1nce my whole life (just driving through).

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2008, 05:42 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
I was at a local pizza place in Oakland Gardens with my friend from LI who had recently moved to Brooklyn, and he was like "how come people from Queens are so much prouder than people from the Island?" I was like "Queens folks proud? We ain't got nothing on Brooklyn!" and he was like "true... but why?" I was like "eh, I guess we got more to be proud of, I dunno."
huh? i've never heard of anything like that in my life.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or