U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,966,688 times

Advertisements

I don't think Staten Island should be a part of Jersey. Sad thing is, most parts of North Jersey feels more like a Borough than Staten Island. Ain't nothing wrong is SI. It is just diffrent. However, Wu-Tang did put SI on the map. So did James Oddo.

GET THE **** OUTTA MY OFFICE!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 PM

905 posts, read 2,578,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
You have written a very nice essay, about Staten Island, and I thank you for it. However, next time, please leave the word "guido," out, and by saying that Staten Island has some young "morons," many of them overly-spoiled, rich youngsters, is enough. "Guido" is a stereotype that has been used for many years against the Italian people, and although I am not Italian, I can feel and understand how the good people of Italian descent would feel, upon reading any article in which they are stereotyped. I do not believe that you meant any harm with it, however, I know that SOME MORONS, have been using it without any thought whatsoever, in MTV, My Space, city-data, and in the New Jersey forums. I looooooooooooove Staten Island, and I am originally from MAN-HAA-TAAN! And the way I feel, if Staten Island was good for Cornelius Vanderbilt and his family, Alice Austen, and her family, and the Outerbridge Family, is excellent for me. These, as you know being a native yourself, were very, very eloquoent families. Have a nice day!
Just FYI, I'm actually Italian . But I see where you're coming from. If I say "guido" in front of my mom, she gives me a little spiel....it's just an old habit. Point taken.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:35 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,434,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Just FYI, I'm actually Italian . But I see where you're coming from. If I say "guido" in front of my mom, she gives me a little spiel....it's just an old habit. Point taken.
I gave you reps for it, and thank you.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:47 PM

536 posts, read 2,136,338 times
Quote:
"Guido" is a stereotype that has been used for many years against the Italian people, and although I am not Italian, I can feel and understand how the good people of Italian descent would feel, upon reading any article in which they are stereotyped.
Maybe for older people, but for anyone who grew up in the 90s or this decade the word "guido" has no ethnic connotations whatsoever--everyone from NY, NJ and FL know exactly what youth subculture people are referring too. The word applies to Russians, Irish, even Puerto Ricans or Indians who are into that same culture with the spiked hair, the Armani Exchange t-shirts, the pimped-out low-end Japanese cars and that awful repetitive club music.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 AM

905 posts, read 2,578,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Maybe for older people, but for anyone who grew up in the 90s or this decade the word "guido" has no ethnic connotations whatsoever--everyone from NY, NJ and FL know exactly what youth subculture people are referring too. The word applies to Russians, Irish, even Puerto Ricans or Indians who are into that same culture with the spiked hair, the Armani Exchange t-shirts, the pimped-out low-end Japanese cars and that awful repetitive club music.
This is true as well. The word, like any word, has evolved, and to anyone born after, say, 1975 or so, it doesn't really carry much of an ethnic connotation anymore. It refers more to a specific youth subculture that transcends ethnicity (I knew plenty of Jewish, Russian and Irish "guidos" growing up on SI).

Still, I've had that conversation with my mom enough to understand why someone might take umbrage with it. It's a generational thing.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,096,413 times
Quote:
Wu tang does not represents the majority of Staten Islanders, but a very miniscule part of it. If you want to know what represents Staten Islanders, read page 4, #39 post of this segment. We want to be represented by history, literature, museums, good people, and good neighbors, with family values, and we have all of that and more!!!!! I would rather have Ricky Schroeder and Christina Aguilera, both born here, to reprent me, that Wuuuuuuuu tangggggg!
Christina doesn't represent SI, she may have been born there, but she was raised in Pittsburgh. When ever she is asked she says she is from Pittsburgh, eventhough the pirate fans booed her when she sang the national anthem, lol.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:22 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,096,413 times
Are there a lot of places to rent in SI, apartments, townhouses, houses, or duplexes? From what I heard I'm getting the impression that there is more house than places to rent. I'm getting a little bit confused now, is Island more expensive then the other 3 boroughs (excluding Manhattan) or less expensive? I here some people say that it is extremely blue collar then I hear other people say that it is basically suburban with most people living in houses. Maybe I am wrong, but when I hear suburb I think more expensive.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:10 PM

19,497 posts, read 34,572,067 times
no staten island is mostly 1 and 2 family homes...more places to buy as opposed to renting. nothing is more expensive than manhattan. suburb does not necessarily mean expensive. suburb just means you're outside the city.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-10-2008, 06:26 PM

838 posts, read 953,182 times
Yeah, I want to know what the deal is about SI. I have been asking my bf to move there with me (I'm originally from San Diego but now a resident of NYC ) But he says that it's crappy and inconvenient..etc. I wanted to move down there b/c it seemed more affordable and well, no offense, but I don't think I would "get by" in the Bronx. lol. I'm all for living where it's more affordable and don't mind what I have around me...but for some reason I can't myself rolling with the big boys and girls in the Bronx...I see myself getting picked on like a playground student up there haha But hey, I'm just being honest...I'm a 23 y/o fem and I stand 5'3...so who is really going to be that scared of me??

Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 AM

536 posts, read 2,136,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but when I hear suburb I think more expensive.
That's where you're a bit wrong. With the exception of specifically rich neighborhoods like Garden City, LI--the same size house in the 'burbs would be cheaper than the same size house in a comparable neighborhood in any borough--except staten Island. While the city ends up more affordable in the end because of significantly lower taxes (so the monthly mortgage+tax expense is lower, not to mention that beautiful day when you've paid it off and everything after--whereas taxes go nowhere but up).

staten Island, because of its remoteness, has suburban-level pricing. But since it's in the city politically, it's got low taxes, too. so you get the best of both worlds, and s.I. ends up heavily blue-collar. In the end, it's the borough with both the cheapest real-estate and the highest median income. Odd, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or