U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,944 times

Advertisements

Our son is looking into an apartment located near 191st Street and St. Nicholas New York NY 10044 and my wife and I are wondering what the arear is like, and how safe it is. Our son has a job that will at times run late around 1am or so, and he will probably be taking the subway from time square to the 191st street station which is located about 1/2 a block from the apartment he is looking at renting. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who reply!!!

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-28-2008 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 05:26 AM

12,120 posts, read 27,543,660 times
I used to shop at Modell's at St Nicholas and 181 street (10 blocks from you son's) and i have taken the 1 train countless times past 191 street. I can tell you that the area is heavily Dominican and very urban and gritty(I'm not connecting Dominicans with urban grit--that's just a fact about how the area is)

While it's not like the S Bronx, it's not a quiet oasis. I personally feel safe on the #1 train(the one he would take from TImes Square) at all times of day and night and have never, in my 17 years of riding, have seen any bad people entering or exiting 191 street.

if you saw the area and train, you would probably not be too keen about the idea because it's all very urban and gritty. But I think it's aura is worse than the reality. Reality is that things certainly can happen, but just don't do silly things to become a victim--don't fall alseep on the train, don't talk to others, don't hang out in the streets, don't appear lost, just go about one's business and walk briskly and he should be ok

Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 AM

295 posts, read 1,331,320 times
I think he posted here already...no?

Taking the train at 1AM anywhere is not fun.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,944 times
Default Son moving to NY

No I haven't posted here before.....but I do want to thank everyone who responded to my post. My wife and I did look at the apartment with my son, and we do agree the neighborhood does look a little "gritty" but it was relatively quiet. But then again we were there during the day on a Sunday. I don't want to sign a lease only to have my son not like the area due to harassment or crime and be stuck there. Being the only "white boy" in the area we were hoping he didn't become a target.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM

838 posts, read 902,923 times
Dang, I wish my parents were paying for my apartment. It sucks having to be a big girl. FYI, people usually say if you aren't too street smart..don't go past the 90s (streetwise).

Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 AM

624 posts, read 1,286,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by znycgirl View Post
Taking the train at 1AM anywhere is not fun.
Are you kidding? Most people are just getting their evenings started at midnight. The city's full of activity at all hours. I've ridden the train much later than 1am and been fine.

To the OP: I wouldn't have him move up there - no way. I'd look elsewhere, but I'm not sure where. Maybe Lower Manhattan, East Village, around (but not in) Chinatown, and also Astoria, Queens (easy hop on the train).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City