U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-28-2008, 07:36 AM
 
58 posts, read 309,073 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

My understanding is all old houses (pre-70's) have lead paint in them. So unless the house is gut-renovated, lead paint test will return positive.

At the same time When renting apartment, landlords do not give any information about lead paint. What they say is: "we officially state that we do not know about the lead paint in this apartment".

Does it mean, that they just avoid to test the wall. And if a tenant will test the wall himself and give the info to the landlord, it will put landlord into bad position (he we have to tell about it to the next tenant)?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:47 PM
 
2,742 posts, read 6,739,145 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohn View Post
My understanding is all old houses (pre-70's) have lead paint in them. So unless the house is gut-renovated, lead paint test will return positive.

At the same time When renting apartment, landlords do not give any information about lead paint. What they say is: "we officially state that we do not know about the lead paint in this apartment".

Does it mean, that they just avoid to test the wall. And if a tenant will test the wall himself and give the info to the landlord, it will put landlord into bad position (he we have to tell about it to the next tenant)?
Ok, first if the building is old, then yes, it has lead paint(also lead pipes) or it could have lead paint...
But you are not going to have any problem with this unless you see paint coming out(flakes). but usually this walls have been painted over and over again, meaning the paint that you touch on the wall are the new paint and not the old one...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 PM
 
58 posts, read 309,073 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Ok, first if the building is old, then yes, it has lead paint(also lead pipes) or it could have lead paint...
But you are not going to have any problem with this unless you see paint coming out(flakes). but usually this walls have been painted over and over again, meaning the paint that you touch on the wall are the new paint and not the old one...
thank you. Now how can I find about the lead pipes. Inspector did not tell me anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 01:15 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
Reputation: 6676
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohn View Post
thank you. Now how can I find about the lead pipes. Inspector did not tell me anything.
The best way to find out about the presence of lead is to have a sample tested by a qualified laboratory. Lead can come from lead pipes, lead solder on copper pipes, and brass fittings.

Here's some information on lead in drinking water from the EPA:
Lead in Your Drinking Water - Fact Sheet - Archive | Lead In Drinking Water Home | Safewater | US EPA
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top