U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,025 times

Advertisements

I love Kew Grardens as well. My X boyfriend once lived there. I went to his apartment and it was huge and beautiful and very affordable. I have to agree that FH is much more expensive but it is nice as well. I agree that it is more congested than KG. & yes you can get to KG by train it is the union turnpike-kew gardens stop on the E & the F train. I also believe that there is a LIRR stop that stops in KG as well. If you want a great deal I would choose KG. I want to move there myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 16,987 times
So Can you live in either of these areas without a car? I'm coming to NYC to apartment hunt and look for a job, but don't want a car...

Old 07-31-2008, 07:12 PM

317 posts, read 1,019,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_obsessed View Post
So Can you live in either of these areas without a car? I'm coming to NYC to apartment hunt and look for a job, but don't want a car...
Yes you can. Plenty of transportation options in both.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM

536 posts, read 2,091,490 times
It's probably the farthest east you can live comfortably without a car, but since not everything you'll ever need will be along the F train, it would probably help to be open to taking buses as well. I live in Oakland Gardens, closer to the Nassau border, without a car and you wouldn't believe the amount of patience and discipline it takes to not go completely nuts sometimes, especially when the weather's bad.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:48 PM

175 posts, read 496,973 times
When we go to FH, we park our car and only use the subway to get around. A car is a burden unless you have a reserved parking space.

Also, I don't enjoy driving in NYC. No offense, but NYC drivers are terrible. I think it's the lack of experience combined with the natural stress and aggressiveness of the city. LA drivers are much better, because they drive everywhere from the age of 16. IMO, of course

Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 PM

27 posts, read 82,170 times
Forest Hills is definitely a nicer area... especially for families. However, if you are single and are looking for a decent area that is more affordable- then Kew Gardens might be for you.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 14,905 times
[CENTER]Forest Hills This Week: Taking A Stand For Co-Op Justice

The perils of share ownership within a co-op or condo are numerous. The burden is spread out, typically leaving all to deal with the possible misdeeds of a board.

But one Kew Gardens Resident is navigating the waters alone, singlehandedly confronting what she claims is a board corrupted by money and power.

Elizabeth O'Keefe Kuzio, a 70-year-old shareholder at the Steven House, 84-25 118th St., has filled a suit, sans attorney, against the co-op's board to have them removed.

"It is corruption within the building, not only in the board," she said. "They are acting out of their authority. The management is corrupt. The lawyers are corrupt."

Kuzio alleges that the continued re-election of the board is an ongoing sham, designed to keep the current board members in power while scaring possible opponents away.

Their attorney disagrees.

"You have a hard working board that has made some changes, but she doesn't like them," said Abbey Goldstein, legal counsel for the board members and co-op. "Not only did the board not do anything improper, I think they've acted proactively in the best interest of the co-op, trying to get it back on its course."

Kuzio's allegations are familiar to many shareholders within the City - increases in maintenance fees and assessments all while her cost of living goes up, but the actual quality of life diminishes.

The new board was elected in 2006, and Kuzio said she stuck around to act as secretary under the new President Mauro Villacreses for two months before leaving.

Villacreces came to the helm of Steven House at a time when the co-op was in admitted financial peril. Impropriety by the previous board and management company left the co-op's coffers thin.

But according to Kuzio, the bad fiscal times did not merit seven new assessments in four years.

"[Villacreses] said they were still paying bills," Kuzio said. "We just said show us the bills. They never did."

The hiring of Goldstein's firm, Goldstein and Greenlaw, has also drawn Kuzio's ire. The firm's oversight of elections, which costs the co-op $1,800.00 a year, as well as regular attendance at other supposedly banal events like shareholder meetings, gives the firm's involvement an air of impropriety, according to Kuzio.

She also claims the co-op has held onto at least $20,000 in tax abatements owed to shareholders every year under the new board's tenure.

Goldstein claims the collection of assessments to offset the doling out of tax abatements is common.

"It's perfectly legal and it's a way to help balance a co-op's budget," he said.

In addition to all her troubles, the co-op has notified Kuzio of complaints from her upstairs neighbors, who ar upset about her hitting her ceiling and shouting.

Kuzio admitted she has used the method to keep her upstairs neighbors quiet - or at the very least show her displeasure.

"If you're above me, you want to move out, move," Kuzio said. "[Villacreses] had them print letters that I traumatized them, I threatened them. I'm an 80 pound, 70-year-old woman with bladder cancer."

Kuzio acknowledges she's the only one vocally fighting the board, but claims a number of shareholders stand behind her efforts.

"The shareholders in this building are intimidated by the board of directors, but they're afraid of retribution," she said.

Kuzio's claims are all too familiar for some unfortunate sharholders, according to Alliance of Co-op and Condo Owners President Larry Simms, but she's addressing them the wrong way.

"The biggest problem in a situation like that is you go to court and if you do everything right, six months will pass if you'r lucky, the judge will say havea new election, "Simms, said. "And there is no good mechanism to make sure the election is done or monitored properly."

AACCO is currently pushing an Ombudsman Bill that would create an oversight wing within the state government for co-op and condo owners.

"I almost never try to do things through courts because it's so slow and so costly," Simms said. "I tendto advocate guerrilla action."

The same democratic process used to put the board in place could be used to create a groundswell of voters and candidates to run against them, Simms said.

Kuzio, ufazed, is currently waiting to begin the trial.

Reach Reporter Joseph Orovic at [EMAIL="jorovic@queenstribune.com"]jorovic@queenstribune.com[/EMAIL], or (718)357-7400, Ext.127.
-- Joseph Orovic

You may contact Ms. Kuzio directly at 718-8475181

[/CENTER]

Old 02-24-2011, 09:05 AM

259 posts, read 728,597 times
I am moving there in May. I would like either, but I prefer Forest Hills just because it has the express stop. However, I'll go w/ Kew Gardens if I find a better apt there. I also agree Kew Gardens is slightly prettier.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM

125 posts, read 562,534 times
KG has an express stop too. Both the E and F trains stop at the Union Turnpike/Kew Gardens station.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:08 PM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Both are clean, safe and beautiful. However, I would choose Kew Gardens.

Kew Gardens is nicer because it's not as congested as Forest Hills. Kew Gardens and Forest Hills are both accessible by train-- FH is serviced by 2 express and 2 local trains and KG is serviced by 2 express trains. FH has two stations,71st Ave and 75th Ave, because it is a larger neighborhood. But they are only one and two stops away from the Kew Gardens station, Union Turnpike. That's a difference of only 2 to 3 minutes, which is a negligible amount of time for a commute.
Forest Hills actually has 3 subway stations: 71st Avenue which is the express stop (serviced by all the subway lines that run along Queens Blvd.) and 2 local stations - 67th Avenue (serviced by only the local subway lines) and 75th Avenue (serviced only by the F train).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City