U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 AM

12 posts, read 53,939 times

Advertisements

thinking now of moving to Kew Gardens or Forest Hills. what is your experience and what is the best way to find a place, other than an agent and broker's fee? just buzz superintendents and ask for availability?

I think Kew Gardens is prettier and I don't care if it's a little further out. My commute now is 90 minutes one way, so the LIRR in KG and FH is ideal for me as I work at Penn Station right now.

i care about safety, apartment affordability, a 24-hour deli or drug store, and a clean supermarket.

i lived in forest hills for one year on queens blvd. and moved because it was a tiny studio and i found a nice one-bedroom in Elmhurst, then stupidly moved to rockaway park to be on the beach. the commute is killing me, and this neighborhood is filled with zombies, panhandlers, homeless people, over-medicated elderly people living in nursing homes, poor toothless people, alcoholics, unemployed riff-raff.......and crime (shootings, stabbings, big time crime)........i am scared and want to leave the twilight zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by shugabooga; 07-28-2008 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: change title
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:58 AM

643 posts, read 1,729,064 times
I've heard second hand that Kew Gardens is a little cheaper. I don't know if that's true, but either place you can't go wrong in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 AM

536 posts, read 2,091,831 times
Kew Gardens is basically the natural continuation of Forest Hills south of Union Turnpike. It's much smaller, and possibly cheaper since it's not as accessible by subway (though the LIRR is centrally located in the neighborhood).

Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,376,683 times
KG is less busy (less shopping) and I THINK the schools aren't quite as good, but not sure. It's very similar in feel, though. THe subway continues along Queens Blvd (stops at Union Tpke and Van Wyck Blvd), so it's not necessarily any further than it would be in FH.

Don't confuse Kew Gardens with Kew Gardens Hills, which is on the other side of the Van Wyck north of Union Tpke.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:46 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,492,980 times
Default I love both areas.

One can live in either and still enjoy the other. Forest Hills is more convenient in terms of transportation and shopping options and is generally more upscale. However, Kew Gardens is very beautiful, has lovely tree-lined streets, and is closer to Forest Park.

Another plus for Kew Gardens is it's a bit cheaper than Forest Hills.

Right now the rents are skyrocketing as the two areas have become more publicized as desirable parts of Queens, and with the present real estate crisis, more people are choosing to rent vs buy, thus driving up rents more.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 PM

536 posts, read 2,091,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
THe subway continues along Queens Blvd (stops at Union Tpke and Van Wyck Blvd), so it's not necessarily any further than it would be in FH.
That station is actually at Queens Boulevard and Main st in Briarwood, on the other side of a big cemetery from Kew Gardens.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:30 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,818,825 times
Both are clean, safe and beautiful. However, I would choose Kew Gardens.

Kew Gardens is nicer because it's not as congested as Forest Hills. Kew Gardens and Forest Hills are both accessible by train-- FH is serviced by 2 express and 2 local trains and KG is serviced by 2 express trains. FH has two stations,71st Ave and 75th Ave, because it is a larger neighborhood. But they are only one and two stops away from the Kew Gardens station, Union Turnpike. That's a difference of only 2 to 3 minutes, which is a negligible amount of time for a commute.

Kew Gardens is a bit cheaper for housing/groceries/restaurants & other services, and there are plenty of stores. I'm only aware of one 24-hour deli on Queens Blvd; but that's just me--there could be more.

Last edited by Pivot Point; 07-28-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 PM

317 posts, read 1,019,428 times
I'm only aware of one 24-hour deli on Queens Blvd; but that's just me--there could be more.[/quote]

There's a 7-11 on 67th, a Fast Break on 69th, and a deli on 71st... I think.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,833,582 times
I live in Kew Gardens and I absolutely love it. Austins Ale House, DAnnis Pizza, the village diner. literally around the corner i have a cvs, blockbuster video, and petland (for my cat!)... I do however go to Forest Hills to go to the Movies or to go to Unos or one of the other restaurants. I live on the other side of kew gardens however so i have more indian's in my part of town (closer to north richmond hill). Theres a 24 hour supermarket not far away.

I can either walk from the E/F at Union Turnpike or the E to Jamaica/Vanwyck (which is actually a shorter, but less desireable walk home)

street parking is not horrendous and I usually go further out to do other types of shopping.

Overall i think the value of my purchase should hold tight in this area.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,971,091 times
Which has better bars? Seems like Forest Hills is lacking in the bar department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City