Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal elite View Post
I think he just wants it to head that way. Wishful thinking on his part.
Yeah because I want to get mugged walking down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
**He may also call a special session of the Legislature to propose reducing some of the record-high levels of spending that were approved as part of the state's new budget in April. **

I find this to be the most galling part of the article. They were all patting themselves on the back about passing the budget earlier than any other year. Then Bloomberg casually mentioned that it all could change based on different factors. I guess They “passed” the budget because they knew none of it was going to stick.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
For those who think NYC is not affected. From the article

Services will be cut. A reason the city has improved is because of the relentless spending used to improve quality of life. Now this has to stop. Read the article again, basically this is as bad as its been in 33 years. 33 years ago, the city stopped services. You saw less police and bombed out trains. There is no difference now. The city is going to have police force down to 1992 levels. With this expect an increase in crime. If you people think that somehow NYC is foolproof from ever "declining" again then I would like to hear reasons for this so.

Till then, all the facts are pointing to a decline.

I think "pointing toward a decline" and plummeting into near bankruptcy and crime/drug invested neighborhoods are two different things. No one disagrees with you that the economy might be declining some, but it's a leap to say the city would revert back to the 70's.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:26 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
GOV WARNING OF WORST ECONOMY IN DECADES

ALBANY - Gov. Paterson, convinced the state faces its worst fiscal crisis since the mid-1970s, will deliver the grim news in an unprecedented special address to New Yorkers as soon as tomorrow night, The Post has learned.

The governor's address - which his aides hope will be televised by public and cable news stations - will say that plunging state revenues will force painful cuts in state services, necessitate a reduction in the state work force, possibly through layoffs, and require other difficult economic measures, source said.

more here GOVERNOR PATERSON WARNS STATE OF WORST ECONOMY SINCE 1970'S - New York Post

Bad news for the city. They're going to have to cut back on a lot of services. These include police officers. Look for an increase in graffiti, even on the trains and a definite spike in crime.

It has come full circle. It was nice while it lasted but NYC is headed in a downward spiral with nothing to stop it.
I disagree completely. Some people long for a "doomsday to happen" in reference to the NYC economy. Tweeks may be needed here and there due to some cutbacks, but a full plunge off the cliff isn't happening anytime now or in the future.
Such a negative outlook, I think.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Nevins View Post
All they have to do in New York City is raise taxes... ...and they'll have plenty of money.
that is not the solution,, raising taxes makes the economy worst..
Actually, if you lower the taxes,, the city would have more money

Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
The economy of the state as a whole isn't exactly the same as the city's. New York City has been Albany's cash cow for quite a few years now. The city has actually been carrying the state.

This is why you get an immediate negative reaction from the media any time someone makes public noises about NYC seceding from NYS. The truth is, the state couldn't afford to let that happen. Conversely, the city would wind up with its own representation in Congress, and no longer be hamstrung by upstate politicians who, to put it charitably, don't usually have our best interests at heart.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
If we're really going to go back to the 1970s, I think the only way to prepare ourselves is to watch The Warriors carefully and take as many notes as possible.....

YouTube - The Warriors Movie Trailer

Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Right now, a lot of people I know are working 2 jobs or going bankrupt. Everyone saying times is hard. I guess we're all just waiting on the next president and hope he/she will balance things out again

Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 AM

40 posts, read 30,449 times
I can't say that everyone I know is working 2 jobs or going bankrupt..I think that is a bit extreme BXgear...but yes alot of people are struggling. But the reality is, there is a certian segment of the population, poor inner city people of color, whom have the same struggles int the good times and the bad..so it is nothing new or out of the ordinary for them to be struggling now. They were struggling before and will be struggling tomorrow.

That beign said....to believe that the 70s will recur is to believe that we are doomed to repeat history and that we have learned nothing from the past. I don't believe the city will allow itself to go down that road..and neither will the residents.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 PM

70 posts, read 221,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
If we're really going to go back to the 1970s, I think the only way to prepare ourselves is to watch The Warriors carefully and take as many notes as possible.....

YouTube - The Warriors Movie Trailer
Or Fort Apache, The Bronx

Yup, I can imagine burnt out shells all around Crotona Park again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City