Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 AM

35 posts, read 127,945 times

Advertisements

Ok I thought id ask a more specific question.

I'm amazed(thought not totally surprised) at how expensive the city has gotten since I last lived there, knowing what I know (which isnt all that much) I don't think I can afford Manhattan, (unless I find something in wash. heights or East Harlem which of course I'm still considering)

Even the recommended areas of queens and Brooklyn are more expensive.
Ive lowered my monthly rent limit (More realistic considering other cost factors that will have to be delt with) from 1400 to max 1200 and preferably lower per month!

well there goes Manhattan ~sigh~except for maybe my other choices-
Astoria? no luck yet
Long Island City- HAH!
Sunnyside-random prospects
Fort Greene ?

Brooklyn heights, williamsburg-Not a chance.

All of a sudden I think New Jersey,,,its across from penn station isn't it?

what parts of New Jersey are a reasonable commute (mine being under 25 to midtown if in NJ).

Union City
Weehaken
Hoboken (actually this area seems just as expensive now)
Jersey City?

But
whats the catch?
Where does the train cross?
How do you get home lat at night?
Is it desolate?
People don't seem to rush to recommend NJ as an alternative to Burroughs,
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,842 times
People probably don't recommend Jersey here because it is a NY board.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,495 times
if you can go deeper south in brooklyn, you should meet your budget but you wont be in midtown in 25 minutes.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM

UpsonDowns
Yeah I was kinda expecting someone to mention it was a NYC board.
heh. ,
It looks closer then east queens or brooklyn..

Guess Ill ask there though thanks-

Pure-
Your right about the time (But it used to take me 45 to midtwn from even wash. heights, right in Manhattan-so Im just looking for a little shorter than that, not necessarily. 25min,)

as far as south brooklyn, I had some friends who lived in South Brooklyn,
Really some nice apartements they had-good space etc. what sucked was the train late at night, you know slow and less frequent = much longer commutes. (I believe it was the N/R).

Im not familiar with central Brooklyn at all though and am looking there too.
--
BTW-
Was just curious on anyones experience with Jersey from a Burroughs Perspective.
I mean I figured if I ask on the Jersey board, ill be told how great it is right?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,875 times
You could get an apartment for 1400 in some areas of Jersey City, but not where your commute would be 15 minutes. You could live near the Journal Square path station but you are looking at 35 minutes from there. If you go farther downtown, rents go up but your commute time goes down.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

thanks,
just came back from the jersey board and there are hundreds of similar questions.
Since I named mine here "whats the catch?"
ill answer it (based on what I've read so far)

The Catch (well one primary one) is:
Getting home late at night! ie:transportation.
Apparently Taxis to NJ are uber expensive,
Metro lines run less at night too (similar to any of the burroughs but It appears even more so with less options)
And not all affordable nabes are within the path..

Thanks Lynee-
It was a thought , your info helps, Now Im back to thinking I might prefer to live in Washington heights or Brooklyn or east harlem..

Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
If you were looking in central Brooklyn, I can tell you this: I live in Midwood. On the Q train, which runs 24 hours a day, it takes 40-45 minutes to Times Square from the Avenue M station. During the day, they run on an 8-minute headway, but it's 20 minutes at, say, 2:00AM.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM

40 posts, read 187,755 times
20 minutes if you're lucky. I've waited 45 minutes before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: