U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM

973 posts, read 1,403,115 times

Advertisements

Actually a lot of leases allow up to a month before requiring the lodger to be a lessee.

Sounds like you may be living in one of the luxury rentals so the $1200 a month doesn't sound over the top, especially for Murray Hill.

As for your rights as a tenant, without a signed sub-lease you may be in a pickle. Also some landlords state in their rental agreement that its breach of the lease to sub-lease without their consent, so you could both be in a pickle.

As for the question regarding last month's rent - most rental agreements don't allow for the security deposit to be used as last month's rent but then you aren't in a written lease agreement. You could work it out with your roomie and she can have the whole apartment to herself and her brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM

52 posts, read 233,404 times
Also, should I ride out the last month instead of asking for the security deposit back? I actually made the place look better, repainted, got new curtains, rug for the common area, re-did the bathroom, etc.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,077,881 times
Hey, maybe someone at work is looking for a roomate, or you could always try yahoo personals, and the daily newspapers.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,672,773 times
Craig's is fine for finding roommates. This is just a learning experience. You will have many crazy roommate stories to share before you are done! I had a klepto, a nympho, and countless wackos - it's all part of being young in NYC.

But as Triny said, spread the word in addition to looking on Craig's.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 PM

473 posts, read 1,512,210 times
replace the toilet bowl brush with their toothbrushes .... laugh on your way out

Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I appreciate it! I think I'll just look for a new place. $1200 is a lot for a non-luxury rental in a converted 2-bedroom, with a sycophant relative trying to move it.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM

295 posts, read 1,330,926 times
Default word of caution

I was in a similar situation...
After the brother for a month, a mother came in for 2 months...not to mention the boyfriends. It was like having a free hotel.

I locked my door and spent lots of time outside of the apt....and moved out ASAP.

If I were you...I'd have a one-on-one with her & tell her that while you don't mind a visitor...it's not normal to have any one else MOVE in essentially. Tough if her bro can't find a place to stay. He either splits the rent 3 ways (this won't happen) or you move out & she worries about finding a roommate. I agree...he's going to stay longer than 4 weeks.

The fact that your name is not on the lease is good for you. You can outright leave. It may be better to outright cut your losses. If not...you can tell her you are moving & just pay her half rent for 2 months...or a deal like that.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
I did something even worse--years and years ago, I shared an apartment with a high school friend. Lesson learned: never again!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:28 AM

I did have a one-to-one talk with her, and she just nodded, acted really sad and said that she's figure something out. THEN, she came back at me with it'll only be four weeks and to find it in my heart to stick it out, bla blah. Anyway, what I'm going to do is just not pay for the last month's rent and tell her to keep the deposit I gave here, which was a one month's deposit. Even if we split the rent down 3 ways, I still don't want to have her brother there, sharing the bathroom.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,077,881 times
I work around Murray Hill and everything there is Expensive, if your living there cause your close to work, then I think Astoria would be a great option for you. It's no more than a 15min commute to Mid-town, and a little cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City